997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

somone please help car half torn apart...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 05:16 PM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
somone please help car half torn apart...

Short version of the story, I am installing PSE in my 2006 2S. I finished the mechanical part yesterday with no issues. I am not trying to run the wire from the engine compartment into the car, I have removed the Bose subwoofer, one of the rear seats and can not get the the side trim (see photo) off. It is free everywhere but where it is connected to the trim piece where the seat belt goes through. I am not 100 percent sure that I need to pull the side trim but it seem that it needs to come off before the bulkhead carper trim can come off so I then can get to the gromet to pull the wire through.

Is there another way, I know a number of folks have done this before. Help!

Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2008, 05:57 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
When I did my PSE install (about 15 months ago) I didn't remove the passenger rear right side panel trim. I didn't know exactly how it was fastened and I was concerned about breaking any of the plastic snaps. If I recall I got some of the panel 'unfastened'; enough to getthe harness behind it.

Not knowing if you're installing the simple ashtray switch or using the dash mounted Porsche switch I can't provide a whole lot of detail.

If I recall I ran the (2) wire harness (from my center console area) under the carpet of the passenger front seat (seat was removed) and then along the threshold plastic trim piece, behind the passenger side of the rear side panel (I carefully snaked a guide wire through to snag the harness to pull it through) and then finally into the firewall grommet to the motor compartment. (Whew . . . too long of a sentence).

You're doing the part that I found the most difficult. This is why a great number of PSE installers don't install the electrical parts. It's a PITA but in my humble opinion worth the effort.

Just be careful, patient and systematic.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:18 PM
AP 997, Thanks. With your recommendations I was able to snake my arm past the side trim and reach the grommet. I used an Ice pick to poke a small hole in the grommet and then use a piece of welding wire inserted into the 'ice pick hole" from the engine compartment. What a PITA! I have run the wire to the console. I am done for the day, but tomorrow I need to run power to the console and starting putting it back together.

Thanks again

Old 12-29-2008, 07:56 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by millsjq
AP 997, Thanks. With your recommendations I was able to snake my arm past the side trim and reach the grommet. I used an Ice pick to poke a small hole in the grommet and then use a piece of welding wire inserted into the 'ice pick hole" from the engine compartment. What a PITA! I have run the wire to the console. I am done for the day, but tomorrow I need to run power to the console and starting putting it back together.

Thanks again
Way to go millsjq,

You must have had a pretty long & sharp ice pick to punch through that grommet that quickly. I had a little awl and it was really a bear to push it through.

The hard part is now over. You can pick up the switched 12 volt line either at the fuse panel (driver foot well) or if your back seat and carpet is still out at the DME. I choose the DME location since I had the back of the car torn apart.

How cool to just push a button or toggle a switch and the exhaust 'music' starts to play.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks, Do you recall the color of the wire at the DME that you tapped into? I have not put the bits back in. I wanted to take the opportunity to treat the leather (car has full leather) while it is appart. Tonight I hope to complete the project.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by millsjq
Thanks, Do you recall the color of the wire at the DME that you tapped into? I have not put the bits back in. I wanted to take the opportunity to treat the leather (car has full leather) while it is appart. Tonight I hope to complete the project.
I tried to use the Porsche Technical Bulletin or Technical Information package as much as I could for the PSE install. The page covering connection of the harness to the DME connector(s) provides a cryptic description. I think the wire color codes are either gy/gr or bu/bu. I used a 12 volt wire probe (the type with an light whenever the probe touches a voltage (6 to 24) source) detector (a voltmeter will also do). I then 'probed' around the DME connector pins until I found the switched line. The vacuum solenoid draws little current so I wasn't concerned about overloading the circuit. 15 months of operation has proved this point.

Hope this helps some.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:36 AM
colonel is on a distinguished road
millsjq,
Are you hooking the wire directly to the DME? Or you also adding a separate on/off switch.
If you only wiring directly to the DME, then, I think you have wasted all your effort to remove all those trims.
The OEM cutoff of the PSE sucks. I would not wire directly to the DME. I have OEM PSEM on my 06. The DME will cut of the PSE at certain RPM in the lower gears. I found it unsatisfying. Unless you want to turn on/off on the PSE, I would not bother to install the PSE switch to the DME.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Colonel,

I believe millsjq is doing a separate switch for the PSE. I suggested a location for a switched 12 volt line which happens to be the line going to the DME.

I agree w/ you 100% regarding the Porsche cut-off technique. I believe it was designed that way to deal w/ German regulations regarding vehicle noise.