997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PSM Failure warning after batter change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:44 PM
awcayenne is a jewel in the roughawcayenne is a jewel in the roughawcayenne is a jewel in the rough
Happened to me several times. cleared by itself every time.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:36 PM
jrancic2000 is on a distinguished road
I had a similar situation

I replaced my battery and my heated seats stopped working and also the headlight washers on my 2005 997. At first I thought I just had the heated seats fail on me. I bought it to the dealer and even though I had extended warranty they wanted to charge me. I found someone with the same problem on another forum and they said that a PIWIS reset fixed it for them. So I went and told my dealer and they fixed it under warranty too. Pissed my off though that they did not want to fix it until I told them what the repair was. crappy service manager at the time but luckily now she's gone.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 PM
racin is on a distinguished road
its because the steering angle sensor has to reset itself. turn the steering wheel full left then full right then straight and drive to 10 mph and the steering angle sensor is calibrated and light will go out. will happen everytime the battery is disconnected.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:58 PM
cesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura about
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Steve W
normal after a battery disconnect. it will clear after driving for a while.
I just love this website! You all are so unbelievably helpful. I was freaking out there for a moment that I fried my electrical system somehow with a DIY battery replace. My wife would have never let me hear the end of it for being cheap by trying to do it myself and end up costing us a bunch more in the end. Thanks again.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:05 AM
Yaredna is on a distinguished road
Fromthe operator manual

Regarding PSM failure, here is how to clear it (from the operator's manual):

----
Putting vehicle into operation

After the battery is connected or after an completely discharged battery is charged, the mul-tifunctional PSM light lights up on the instrument panel and a message appears on the on-board computer to indicate a fault.

This fault can be remedied with a few simple steps:

1. Start the engine.

2. With the vehicle stationary, perform a few steering movements to the left and right and then drive a short distance in a straight line until the multifunctinal PSM light goes out and the message on the on-board computer disappears.

3. If the warnings do not disappear, then: Drive carefully to the nearest authorized Porsche dealer. Have the fault remedied.

4. After the warnings disappear: Stop the vehicle in a suitable place.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:13 AM
tiyyara will become famous soon enough
Thanks everyone for chiming in.
Interestingly. I had a similar story a couple of years ago and recently.
2.2 years ago, battery 3.5 yrs old. Dies, long run around, first you are not the original owner, (lame excuse) then you do not drive enough (average is above 6k per year), then you do not meet the rolling average.
So I buy a P battery at 250 bucks, car at home, use the 2nd car to get it and install it. The usual PSM error clears out in less than a minute.
Fast forward 2 years and 2 months. 2nd P battery dies despite having it on tender intermittently. So I decide to get one from AZ this time.
But since then my navigation keeps "loading". The manual (yes I read it, but only after the error ) said it can take 15 minutes to load
tried driving for an hour. tried disconnecting and reconnecting.
Did not go to the dealer yet as it is my weekend driver.
SO maybe this can be cleared by PIWIS?
any thoughts, input?

Old 12-25-2014, 05:36 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tiyyara
Thanks everyone for chiming in.
Interestingly. I had a similar story a couple of years ago and recently.
2.2 years ago, battery 3.5 yrs old. Dies, long run around, first you are not the original owner, (lame excuse) then you do not drive enough (average is above 6k per year), then you do not meet the rolling average.
So I buy a P battery at 250 bucks, car at home, use the 2nd car to get it and install it. The usual PSM error clears out in less than a minute.
Fast forward 2 years and 2 months. 2nd P battery dies despite having it on tender intermittently. So I decide to get one from AZ this time.
But since then my navigation keeps "loading". The manual (yes I read it, but only after the error ) said it can take 15 minutes to load
tried driving for an hour. tried disconnecting and reconnecting.
Did not go to the dealer yet as it is my weekend driver.
SO maybe this can be cleared by PIWIS?
any thoughts, input?
What model year vehicle and PCM version?

Old 12-25-2014, 05:42 AM
tiyyara will become famous soon enough
C2s 2009 pcm 3

Old 12-25-2014, 05:56 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tiyyara
C2s 2009 pcm 3
Have you tried disconnecting the battery again...maybe leave disconnected for 15 minutes or so to see if that resets anything. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Is there a difference between resetting a code with durametric and having it reset by a dealer with PIWIS?

Old 01-04-2015, 07:49 PM
Lifeisgood2 is on a distinguished road
battery tender

Buy the C-tek battery tender. They are sold on e-bay and amazon for under 75.00. Porsche puts their emblem on them and sels them for double, Ferrari, triple.