997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PSM Failure warning after batter change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Nickinohio is a jewel in the roughNickinohio is a jewel in the roughNickinohio is a jewel in the rough
PSM Failure warning after battery change

The 4 year-old Porsche factory battery died today in the Home Depot parking lot, so I hitched a ride across the street to Autozone. They sold me a battery for $89, and I hitched another ride back to my car. We jumped my car with jumper cables, and then I drove home and installed the new battery.

The car quickly fired with the new battery, but it gave me a ! PSM Failure warning after it started. The cruise control did not engage on the way home after the jump, but it is working fine now.

Thoughts?
Nick

Last edited by Nickinohio; 03-01-2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Steve W is a jewel in the roughSteve W is a jewel in the roughSteve W is a jewel in the rough
normal after a battery disconnect. it will clear after driving for a while.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Nickinohio is a jewel in the roughNickinohio is a jewel in the roughNickinohio is a jewel in the rough
Thanks!

Old 03-01-2009, 04:55 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I had a battery brown out on my first 997, the low battery caused the computers in the car to brown out, all the electronics except for Wipers and Windows failed (including turn signals).

Dealer had to disconect all the computers esentially restarting them. They also charged the battery and I was good to go. I know use the OEM trickle charger when my car is resting for long periods it stays in, or every week I charge it up one night.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Jobu is on a distinguished road
Dead battery

My battery died. Porsche roadside failed to jump it, so was flatbedded to dealer.

They tested it and notified me it needed replacement for $350.

Since there was a psm failure code they said that if I replaced the battery myself they would need to clear codes and charge me.

Reluctantly, I told them to do it.

Did they lie to me? Would the error codes have cleared themselves as a prior poster stated?

I hate getting ripped off!!

Old 11-06-2010, 04:48 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jobu
My battery died. Porsche roadside failed to jump it, so was flatbedded to dealer.

Since there was a psm failure code they said that if I replaced the battery myself they would need to clear codes and charge me.

Did they lie to me? Would the error codes have cleared themselves as a prior poster stated?

I've disconnected my battery several times to effect the DME reboot procedure and not had any issues save for the PSM fault code which goes away after a minute or two of driving. However, I recently read an article about dead batteries and the 99X Porsche models that indicated the car needs to be energized while the battery is being replaced or the loss of computer data would occur which required a trip to the dealer and a hookup to the PIWIS. Can anyone on this forum shed some light on the issue ?

Last edited by Dadio; 11-06-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:33 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !

The PSM failure on battery disconnect is documented in the owner's manual (page 261??) and is cleared just by driving.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 11-06-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The PSM failure on battery disconnect is documented in the owner's manual (page 261??) and is cleared just by driving.
I didn't even think to look in the manual! Will check. I feel foolish for accepting their claim.

I should call them on it. But what to do. I need them to diagnose an unusual squeal I hear that I think I is from the clutch.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:09 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dadio
I've disconnected my battery several times to effect the DME reboot procedure and not had any issues save for the PSM fault code which goes away after a minute or two of driving. However, I recently read an article about dead batteries and the 99X Porsche models that indicated the car needs to be energized while the battery is being replaced or the loss of computer data would occur which required a trip to the dealer and a hookup to the PIWIS. Can anyone on this forum shed some light on the issue ?
I had my battery connected all winter long once....NO issues,but maybe I got lucky!

Stacy

Old 11-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !

Yes, they lied to you. PSM code clears itself after driving about a mile. Other codes will not clear themselves (like check engine) and require the PIWIS to clear.

$350 for a new battery? Yikes.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Just came back from the dealer. They replace the battery with an Interstate MTP-91. I was surprised that it wasn't a Porsche branded battery. They billed me about $145.34 for the battery and $154.61 to test and replace the battery + tax. This was not covered by the CPO warranty, even though I drive the car more than the threshold 600miles per month. (They won't warrant the battery, even the original warranty, apparently, if the car is infrequently driven) I'm in the process of asking for some concession from the dealer.

I read the article in this month's "Excellence" magazine on battery issues like some other folks seem to. It made me wary of replacing the battery myself, but many others on this forum seem to have had no problems replacing the battery.

Some lessons learned:

1) If you get a jump starter box with a cigarette lighter adapter and a male-to-male cigarette lighter cable, you can maintain power to the car while changing the battery.

2) A really dead battery may not be successfully jumped with jumper cables from a car or even truck. I watched the Porsche roadside guy try with a plug in charger, then with jumper cables from his C Class Mercedes. He failed. The flatbed operator said many methods fail to start a really dead battery.

3) One of the few jump starter boxes that will jump a Porsche with a totally dead battery is the Snap-On red colored box. I watched the flatbed operator do it. The flatbed guy said he bought it a few years back for $300. The only model on Snap-on's website is blue in color and $200. I don't know if it is a different spec.

4) This was a huge PITA!

5) I'm buying a trickle charger. Don't know which one yet. My cousin in Canada who is doing research on battery longevity for a car mfgr is sending me one that they like. Will report back. Porsche charger is $$

Last edited by Jobu; 11-06-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
Just came back from the dealer. They replace the battery with an Interstate MTP-91. I was surprised that it wasn't a Porsche branded battery. They billed me about $145.34 for the battery and $154.61 to test and replace the battery + tax. This was not covered by the CPO warranty, even though I drive the car more than the threshhold 600miles per month. (They won't warrant the battery, even the original warranty, apparently, if the car is infrequently driven) I'm in the process of asking for some concession from the dealer.

I read the article in this month's "Excellence" magazine on battery issues like some other folks seem to. It made me wary of replacing the battery myself, but many others on this forum seem to have had no problems replacing the battery.

Some lessons learned:

1) If you get a jump starter box with a cigarette lighter adapter and a male-to-male cigarette lighter cable, you can maintain power to the car while changing the battery.

2) A really dead battery may not be successfully jumped with jumper cables from a car or even truck. I watched the Porsche roadside guy try with a plug in charger, then with jumper cables from his C Class Mercedes. He failed. The flatbed operator said many methods fail to start a really dead battery.

3) One of the few jump starter boxes that will jump a Porsche with a totally dead battery is the Snap-On red colored box. I watched the flatbed operator do it. The flatbed guy said he bought it a few years back for $300. The only model on Snap-on's website is blue in color and $200. I don't know if it is a different spec.

4) This was a huge PITA!

5) I'm buying a trickle charger. Don't know which one yet. My cousin in Canada who is doing research on battery longevity for a car mfgr is sending me one that they like. Will report back. Porsche charger is $$
If your car met the minimum mileage standard of 6K miles per year (I think that is the number), how can the dealer not cover it? Sounds fishy to me.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:51 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
I had my battery connected all winter long once....NO issues,but maybe I got lucky!

Stacy
Let me correct what I wrote......
I had my battery ****dis-connected **** all winter long once....NO issues,but maybe I got lucky!

I also have disconnected the battery numerous times with some of the mods I have done and like mentioned above IT did clear itself!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 11-06-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by justatoy
Let me correct what I wrote......
I had my battery ****dis-connected **** all winter long once....NO issues,but maybe I got lucky!

I also have disconnected the battery numerous times with some of the mods I have done and like mentioned above IT did clear itself!

Stacy
Great to know. Next time, I'll be prepared

Old 11-07-2010, 06:15 PM
JohnD.211 is on a distinguished road
9V Battery Memory Maintainer

Do those <$10 battery memory maintainers that use a 9V battery plugged into the cigarette lights actually work on a Porsche? Would they eliminate the temporary failure code?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSM Failure warning after batter change