997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 COLD AIR Intake kit by Fabspeed Motorsport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 05:56 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
997 COLD AIR Intake kit by Fabspeed Motorsport

Fabspeed is please to announce that a COLD AIR high performance UPGRADE kit for all 997 & 997 "S" cars has been released.

This simple to install kit increases COLD AIR airflow 25-30% to the 997 engine and complies with factory Porsche warranty and emissions. No check engine light and simple to install in under 20 minutes.

Much better exotic sportscar sound and sounds as if the 997 got an new upgraded exhaust system.

VIDEOS on website @
http://www.fabspeed.com/997%20Cold%2...0&%20After.wmv

or www.fabspeed.com

10% discount to all ^ Speed Online members.
Have a great day.

Joe, Melissa, Alex, and Bill

Old 10-13-2004, 08:33 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
How exactly does that extract "cold air". All you seemed to have done is replace the the corrugated platic tube with a groovy smooth silicone tube and popped the screen off. I can't for the life of me see how that would change the airflow by such a dramatic amount. Looking forward to some details. Did you guys dyno the car?

Old 10-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
HI
The Fabspeed 997 COLD AIR intake upgrade allows the 997 engine's factory Porcshe intake system to flow 25-30% more air.
We call it COLD AIR because we are optimizing airflow through the "factory snorkel" that is located on the left hand side of the airbox.

The VIDEO explains everything in graphic detail both before and after on a 997 "S". The 997 and 997 "S" use the exact same airbox systems with the 997"S" having a "flapper valve" located in the muffler on the 997 intake coverlid.

The 25-30% airflow increase is achieved from sevral things:
1) replacing the dryer duct type corrugated black OEM airhose. This alone allows significantly better airflow without any boundary layer turbulence and no side detours for the 997 intake muffler. Porsche actually installs "intake mufflers on all NA 996 and 997 cars to make the cars ultra quiet)

2) Capping off the muffler in the airbox and using the 4 ply silicone hose make for uninterupted straightened airflow from Mass Air Flowsenor to throttlebody

3) Removing the plastic screen in front of the mass airflow sensor

Additional airflow is achieved from installing an optional BMC F1 997 airfilter.

Money back satisfaction guarantee.

Old 10-13-2004, 10:00 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Joe,
I have the kit w/BMC on my 996. Is there any danger of harming the MAF and creating a problem?

Old 10-13-2004, 10:44 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
cool video Joe - thanks

Old 10-14-2004, 11:02 AM
MrBonus will become famous soon enough
Do you plan on throwing it on the dyno to test for gains?

Old 10-14-2004, 11:10 AM
Fanman is on a distinguished road
I had the 996 Cold Air Unit from Fabspeed. I liked the unit, and it definitely gave it a throatier sound. It removed a big plastic box that was taking up 1/2 the top of the airbox. It was a nice unit (though the orange hose was a little short from the box to the TB but my dealer fixed that). The part that messed up the MAS sensor was not the Cold air box, but the K&N air filter that I used. Before you install a K&N or BMC filter take it out of the plastic bag, and lay it over newspaper for a day or two so that the excess oil will run off.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:08 PM
Former Vendor
The Fabspeed Motorsport COLD AIR kits for the 996 and 997 cars complies with factory Porsche warranty. There is absolutely no negative effects on the MAF and or anything else. All it does it let the car get air more efficiently and easier that the stock 996/997 airbox will allow.

The nice parts is that you are only optimizing airflow through the stock airbox. Porsche made the airbox "resonably retrictive" to mute and subdue air intake and exhaust sound levels as they are trying to sell 996 and 997 cars to a vast audience and not enthusiasts like anyone on these webboards. Super quiet and a cushy suspension are what "most" sportscar owners want in their cars.

However-- Porsche realizes that there are enthusiasts out there with a "pulse" and wnat more sportscar sound, shorter shifeting and POWER and that is why Porsche AG offers..............993 Motorsound kits, 996 Tech Equipment mufflers for $3,000 installed, factory shortshifters and X50 996TT kits and Cayenne $18,000 kits.

WE will be dynoing everything on the 997 soon. On the 996 with stock mufflers the 996 picks up +6HP and with Fabspeed Maxflo mufflers and a the 996 picks up +8HP. Given that the 997 and 997 "S" cars are very similar on the intake side and with more powerful engines and since an engine is just an airpump and the 997 cars are very quiet and restricted by design.................the power gains will be there and personal experience in my 997"S" I can actually feel the car wake up and "seat of the pants power" means atleast 8-10HP increase if you are feeling it.

Have a great day and more VIDEOS to come

Old 10-15-2004, 05:16 AM
caf
caf is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by 993RSClubsport
WE will be dynoing everything on the 997 soon.
I find it interesting that none of your earlier posts talk about any power gain, just increased airflow. Then when people push you about power gains, you respond that we'll be dynoing it soon.

You mean to tell me you developed this new product for a new model (the 997), and now have it on the market, yet you STILL haven't dyno'ed it? Exactly what was involved in the R&D process for this product that it didn't include a dyno somewhere along the way? I would think a well designed product would require many, many, many dyno runs to adequately fine-tune the product. And the previous 6-8hp in the 996 series is almost nothing; it would take VERY controlled, multiple run dynos to truly detect a difference (what, about 2%) that small. Often, tuners of airboxes just take the worst run of the pre-mod car and then the best run of the post air box car, and VOILA! horsepower is up a remarkable 2% ! (Not to say that was true in your case, of course).

Excuse me for being blunt, I'm just a real skeptic of "performance" air box mods in general. If people want to buy them to achieve a different sound quality, that's one thing, but they should know that the evidence of any real power gains (in my experience) is not there. I would also refer those interested to Steve Dinan's white paper on tuner dyno runs, and how they can be quite erroneous in their results.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:07 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
I generally concur with the above post. I think its erroneous to represent it as a "cold air" intake its really not an intake at all, and its is a bit comical that you didn't dyno a "performance" mod.

Now all we need is the $595 price tag for a $25 piece of silicone hose that any resourceful person could order from a hose manufacturer/wholesaler.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:36 AM
SC996 is on a distinguished road
Cold air intake

If open air intake had no benefit I guess we'd see a lot more restrictive airboxes on race cars

Old 10-15-2004, 07:18 AM
caf
caf is on a distinguished road
Re: Cold air intake

Originally posted by SC996
If open air intake had no benefit I guess we'd see a lot more restrictive airboxes on race cars
In a racing application, a more open airbox would typically be combined with a re-worked intake manifold, camshaft changes, exhaust manifold and cat. mods, upgraded pistons, etc. Unfortunately, much as we'd like to believe that a few hundred bucks in mods is going to make a significant improvement in the performance of our cars, it's not likely.

Remember also, that in racing applications engine longevity is not typically a goal, and filters are chosen for maximum performance, not maximum dirt filtering.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:43 AM
SC996 is on a distinguished road
What you said :o)

Street legal cars are choked down to meet emmisions,allowing more free flow air both intake and exhaust improves the performance and gas mileage

Old 10-15-2004, 08:17 AM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
Looks like a nice piece. It's priced about 4X higher than what it should be, but nice nonetheless. Cool video too.

Old 10-15-2004, 01:16 PM
bpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the roughbpanos is a jewel in the rough
Mr. 05997S was way off on his pricing of the fabspeed cold air intake. The price is $225 minus 10% discount for 6speed members. I think this is very reasonable considering someone had to design and make it out of a special type of rubber that would not get hot and transfer heat back in to the motor which could cause loss of hp. I had it on my 996 and it made quite a difference, however I did also have a BMC air filter. I will do the same mod for my 997s when it arrives next month. Since this product was proven on the 996 to increase air intake and power, I think it was ok to market the product for the 997 before the dyno tests were done. More air is always better.... no matter how you look at it! Even if you don't feel the power you will have much better response and exhaust note. It is well worth a couple hundred bucks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 COLD AIR Intake kit by Fabspeed Motorsport