997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Pricing Guides - KBB, Edmunds, NADA?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:39 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Pricing Guides - KBB, Edmunds, NADA?

Trying to get some thoughts on which one of the pricing guides seems to be most realistic at this time on used 997's. KBB and Edmunds seem to be relatively close on price and since they ask you to input your zip code, they seem to take geography into account. NADA seems to be much, much higher on their pricing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Blair is on a distinguished road
Those books are not worth the paper their written. I have been in the used car business for 28 years and those books are only good for the finance institutions. I have been in the lanes where they
write down the values. It is a joke. They don't really look at true condition of the car. They are a guide??? They assume a lot of things. We all know how assume is spelled!

Old 05-09-2009, 10:49 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Blair,

Thanks for the information. Somebody recommended to look at ebay Motors and to see the completed listings to see what the price was on actual transactions that have occured (the listings in green). Also to look at what the Buy It Now pricing is on ebay Motors? More realistic?

Old 05-09-2009, 12:17 PM
bdschet is on a distinguished road
I found that during my recent purchase the KBB value was closest to what we settled on for final price. I was that letting me steer the negotiations, but just seemed in line with what the market was for these cars. NADA was insanely high.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:57 PM
kevin123 is on a distinguished road
My dad was in the car business for 30+ years.

NADA makes two guides a consumer guide and a dealer guide.

Only dealers can buy the dealer guide, which is much different than the consumer guide.

We also used black book, but it really came down to condition and marketability of the vehicle.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:19 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JoeShark
Blair,

Somebody recommended to look at ebay Motors and to see the completed listings to see what the price was on actual transactions that have occured (the listings in green). Also to look at what the Buy It Now pricing is on ebay Motors? More realistic?
2 thoughts on your questions

First, NADA book is the one that salesmen like to show you to tell you what a good deal you are getting. Today it's a sales tool published by and for the dealers' association. KBB and Edmunds are more accurate with their geographic specificity on cheaper cars; location does not matter with more expensive cars (say $40k and up ?) because you can move them around so cheaply.

Second, I have a close friend who has owned dealerships (not Porsche) for 30 years and now does better than 50% of his business on the internet. As of last Fall when we talked about it, his 'Buy it Now' prices on Ebay were 8% higher than his unpublished reserve. He said that other dealers probably but not necessarily do something similar. Finally, at the BIN price he will negotiate anything from a free wax job to flying in the buyer to pick it up.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. So it sounds like NADA (at least the one on-line and perhaps the one the dealer will show the buyer) is more of a dealer marketing tool than a good guide. Great to know. NADA does show much, much higher prices.

In terms of Ebay, good to know about the 8% "mark-up" on the Buy It Now price versus the actual reserve. Based on my recent observations, I was thinking it was about 10%.

Hope I don't throw a curve ball here, but what about this "Manheim" pricing that my dealer was showing me. I understand it's the so called "auction" price. Pretty accurate and is there a "dealer Manheim pricing guide" and a "real world Manheim pricing guide"?

Thanks to everybody for your responses so far.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:00 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Kbb trade in value (fair condition) is close to what a hard core dealership offered the guy as a trade . Keep in mind that region and the price disparity is trememdous in todays economy .