997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New guy question: What is a Porsche Launch car?

Old 05-29-2009, 08:42 PM
C2Spin will become famous soon enough
New guy question: What is a Porsche Launch car?

Hi everyone. Been a member for a little bit, but don't post very often. Been doing a lot of research on 2006-2007 C2S and came across an offering that was a 2005 Porsche Launch car? Presume it has something to do with model launch, but not sure.

Anything I should be concerned about with a launch car?

* 2005 Black/Black C2S
* Navigation
* Full leather
* Power adaptive sport seats
* Sport chrono
* PCCB brakes
* Heated Seats
* Bose Premium Sound
* Xenon HID lights
* Mileage = 17,173
* Sale Price = $53,750 (seems high for 2005)

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2009, 10:26 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I know because I bought one back in August 2004 at the launch of the 2005 model year . At that time every dealership was given one 997S loaded with EVERYTHING . It has ceramic brakes , nav , bose, full leather , sports adaptive seats .. like you posted .. the whole enchilada .

MSRP was 99,300 in my region .
It was love at first sight for me .The only problem I faced was that the xenon light theives at that time loved it too.

It's a great car though .

Old 05-29-2009, 11:19 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Based on my most recent buying experience, that car should be priced closer to $40K. Just my two cents.

yrralis1 is probably a better judge of pricing however.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:33 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The high ask price are those options . The ceramics alone are an 8K option (new) and are not common on the 997S . The car had one minor recall .

Joe says 40 and ask is 53. If the car is at a dealership you'll pay mid 40's . Private sale it's anyones guess .

Your negotiation strategy can hinge on it's almost five year age , and cost of maintaining ceramics . A forum member just fried his on the track and they aren't cheap if out of warranty https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...brembo-gt.html

Plus the nav is dated . Big time.

request a DME scan .
It's a really nice car . It has a lot of good things.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:42 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
i found a sick one.. around 53... but checked carfax and it was a rental for 9 months.. check carfax might be same car... id pay mid 40s.. use the fact when the brakes go bad they cost much much much much much much much much more to repair as nego for buying.. also state all these options=more chances of stuff going wrong.lol.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:45 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
i found a sick one.. around 53... but checked carfax and it was a rental for 9 months.. check carfax might be same car... id pay mid 40s.. use the fact when the brakes go bad they cost much much much much much much much much more to repair as nego for buying.. also state all these options=more chances of stuff going wrong.lol.
To the OP, if it's not against any rules here, send me the VIN on that car and I can run the CarFax for you as I've got about two weeks left on my unlimited CarFax subscription.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:05 AM
I wonder if it's my car . There's a 1/(total number of porsche dealerships) chance and he is in the southeast .

Old 05-30-2009, 02:08 AM
ellistai is on a distinguished road
is the said launch car equipped with Park Assist?

my 04/05 C2S seems to be a launch car as well, given its age and it comes with lots of options (as listed above) but except Park Assist!

Old 05-30-2009, 04:57 AM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
The funny thing is that I know which car that is. I am guessing you found this on cars.com or ebay? Millenia Motors right? That is where I purchased my car from and that chance of two of the same cars, with the same features, with the same mileage and asking price are slim to none.

They are actually great guys. They of course are in the business to sell cars, but ultimately, they do not sell crap. I saw the car in person and it was in great condition. I actually almost purchased that car, but I did not want the ceramic brakes. They sell a lot of Porsche and they typically get close to what they are asking for. They are open to negotiations, even if they tell you otherwise. You will most likely work with Jim or Oliver. It is a small, family owned business. Oliver's father in law gets these cars off dealerships that had them sitting on their lot for too long. Most of the time, from Florida. They should have the carfax listed for free already on their site, IIRC. Anyway, you should buy with confidence from them. They really don't sell crap and take good care of the cars in their stable for sale. Whether they will budge on the price by much, I am not sure. I will say that this car has been sitting in their warehouse for several months, so that might give you some room to play with.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:52 AM
Vin

Originally Posted by JoeShark
To the OP, if it's not against any rules here, send me the VIN on that car and I can run the CarFax for you as I've got about two weeks left on my unlimited CarFax subscription.
Thanks - appreciate it. VIN = WP0AB29995S740394

You guys are scaring me though about the cost of the brakes. I don't plan on tracking.

Also, any idea of the cost to update the NAV?

Old 05-30-2009, 06:53 AM
No. Park assist. VIN ends in 740934. And, yes it is at Millenia Motors.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:59 AM
Yes. You are correct - it is at Millenia Motors, and CarFax was there as you stated (thanks - helps to have eyes). So, are you saying you previously owned this car? Anything I should pay attention to in the process? Sorry, for all the new guy questions - you insights have been very helpful. Thanks!

Old 05-30-2009, 07:42 AM
C2Spin,

Looks like you've seen the carfax by now so I won't run it for you. Two owner car. Last owner was as a lease vehicle. Looks like Millenia bought it from auction and has had it listed for sale since April 1st. Also looks like the car was repossessed back in early March.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:45 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
I love my launch C2S. I wouldn't sell it for $50K (assuming someone would pay that for the car)

The PCCBs are awesome. Porsche stated that they expected the rotors to last 185,000 miles. Unless you're at the track all the time IMO there is no reason to worry.

If you frequently drive through gravel that could be a problem as I've read that some folks have damaged their rotors from an off road excursion through gravel traps.

The relative absence of brake dust w/ PCCBs is a bonus as well. Weight savings, fade resistance and no brake dust FTW!

Old 05-30-2009, 08:54 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
I too have a 2005 Launch Car w/ oddly enough about the same mileage.

As previously stated as long as you don't track on a frequent basis the PCCB's should last you a lifetime. They are the 2nd Gen version and are excellent.

$53K in this market seems high but then again the PCCB's were a high ticket option (>$8K).

Although you didn't mention warranty I suspect the 'standard' is expired. Does the car happen to CPO'd. If so the price might be easier to take.

Good Luck on your decision.

Last edited by AP 997S; 05-31-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New guy question: What is a Porsche Launch car?