997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Brake Pads - opinions Needed please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 02:00 PM
hardracing will become famous soon enough
Brake Pads - opinions Needed please

Look for some first hand experience with Pagid Pads.

2007 GT3 RS Track (occasional street)

Black RS14 ?
Yellow RS29 ?

Any opinions on one over the other.

Have heard that RS14 will EAT your rotors quickly, specially if you use them on the street. made for RACE ONLY. Anyone confirm this.?
Or can you usethem on the street as well. Occasionaly.

Heard that Yellow is endurance pad... lasts longer, won't eat your rotors. And can be used on street as well.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:19 PM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
I have a lot of first hand experience with the pagid rs 19 and rs 29's. (both yellow).

The rs29's have a harder initial bite, but aside from that, there stopping performance is very similiar with the rs 19's being a slight bit easier to modulate.

A bigger difference I've seen with these two is off the track. Both the rs19's and rs29's squeak very loudly when first installed. After one good track day, the rs19's usually don't continue to squeal with used on the street.

That is not the case with the rs29's. They will still make your car sound like a freight train is stopping when used on the street. Personally, this doesn't bother me one bit, but I know this does make a difference to a lot of people (my wife included).

I don't have any first hand experience with the rs14's however.

Dan

Old 07-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Excellent feedback.

So RS19 would be better suited then 29's, if using on street once in a while..?

As for the Track,do you have a preference.?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:01 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
14, 19, or 29 - plan to swap pads for the track no matter what you try. Brake squeal will be obnoxious. Stock pads are the 4-2-1 "Sport" compound, which on the GT3 isn't too bad actually. Ran 2 drivers on my 07 GT3 bone stock at Watkins Glen (Me in Red/Black, son in Yellow) and I'd have 30 minutes, then he'd have 30 minutes. By the end of day 2 the fluid gave out, but the OEM pads were still fine (surprisingly).

Unfortunately, there realy isn't a better "hybrid" pad that you can also street. P.S. I used 29s myself on the GT3 after that 1st event where I was "testing" the oem setup.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:11 AM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
When choosing brake pads for the track, I personally like the feel of a good, strong initial bite and the RS29's excell in this area. There is nothing quite like zooming down the end of straight away, chasing down another car and seeing it brake at the 4 marker, and you just go ahead and keep your foot in it until the 2 marker, closing the distance.

Even though I said the RS19's were easier to modulate, you can still trail brake and balance your car just fine with the RS29's with a little bit of practice....you just need to be sure you aren't "snapping on" or "snapping off" the brakes as this would upset the balance of your car.

In my humble opinion, the brake pads that provided the best initial bite and was most resistant to fading (as far as iron rotor setups go) would be the Performance Friction 01 compound, even though this wasn't one of the pads you were asking about.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by RonCT
. By the end of day 2 the fluid gave out, but the OEM pads were still fine (surprisingly).

Not trying to bust your hump, but since brake fluid is part of the total equation here, here is my experience. I've never boiled my brake fluid once as long as I was using Castrol SRF. This included 7 hour long "open track" format track days at Carolina Motorsport Park (old configuration = lots of hard braking) during hot summer days, driving a 3900lb. 600HP 996 Turbo Cab. w/hardtop, using PFC 01 compounds on steel GT3 brakes. (However, the rotors would glow red hot, and the powdercoating on my calipers would slowly darken in color)

Old 07-26-2009, 06:20 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I track a lot and the guys with Gt3's that track with me use Pagid RS29 Yellows...front and back.

I alos use these same pads for my 2009 Carrera S. Yes you can drive with them on the street...BUT...they will squeal and squeak like crazy. If that does not bother you go for it.

I personally swap pads and wheels for a track day but I do drive to the track, Sebring is 100 miles from me on my track tires and pads with no issues.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:02 PM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
What others said about using the RS29s is also my experience as well. Great on the track. The car stops on a dime. But the squeal on the street is really obnoxious.

I initially thought that I would keep the RS29s on the car after the track, as they are markedly better than the OEM pad, even on the street. But they were so ridiculously loud that I had to switch them out.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:46 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Also when you swap pads back and forth and you put the stock pads back on...BE CAREFUL...with your stopping distances. The stock pad has to transfer pad material onto the rotor and your stopping distance will not be as good as you remembered. This can take a while if you do not re-bed the stock pads back in.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by mdrums
Also when you swap pads back and forth and you put the stock pads back on...BE CAREFUL...with your stopping distances. The stock pad has to transfer pad material onto the rotor and your stopping distance will not be as good as you remembered. This can take a while if you do not re-bed the stock pads back in.
Yea, we hear that as well.
Even though lots of guys switch from Stock to Pagid and back.... there is said to be a DEGRATION of the overall performance with the Mixed compounds on the rotors.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Kerrigan Smith has a spectacular aura aboutKerrigan Smith has a spectacular aura aboutKerrigan Smith has a spectacular aura about
Something to consider with using these types of pads on the street is they were usually originally designed for race cars with out ABS systems. Some of the harder compounds that have more of the agressive bite can also be very obtrusive with the ABS. If using the PFC pads you would want the 97 compound and I would think the Pagid 29 endurance if that is of a concern for you.

Sorry that I am offering another element to the question and not answering the original one, but I felt it was worth mentioning.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by hardracing
Yea, we hear that as well.
Even though lots of guys switch from Stock to Pagid and back.... there is said to be a DEGRATION of the overall performance with the Mixed compounds on the rotors.

Yep it takes a while to get either pad to reall bite. When I am going to the track I will put on my Pagid Yellows adn drive around for a good week and do a good re-bed in. The Yellows seem to sync up to the rotor pretty well....

However going back to the stock pad takes a long long time to transfer to the rotor that the Yellow pads have been using. For light street driving this is fine but something to be aware of and to keep the street driving very tame for a while.