997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

07 C4S Cab ... Damn Rattles! 1 down (i hope) and 2 to go!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:12 PM
patrija is on a distinguished road
07 C4S Cab ... Damn Rattles! 1 down (i hope) and 2 to go!

Rattles drive me nuts! My C4S Cab has three "rattles" that I noticed on my first long drive last weekeng.

1) Rattle in the rear deck area. I spent a lot of time looking around at the rear window, carpet cover behind the seat, etc ... until I finally saw that one of the rear seat backs does not latch tightly. It does latch, but has play forward and back before it hits the latch. I'm guessing / hoping this was my rattle and will have the dealer look at it under warranty.

2) Rattle inside(?) the multifunction steering wheel. I've seen this one pop on other threads. Didn't see a solution, so definitely something for the dealer.

3) Rattle inside(?) the dash. No clue on this one. At keast it's the least annoying.

Any insights that I missed in other threads on these?

Old 08-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Oh yeah, the other thing that drove me nuts is the squeaking from the cheap-a$$ seat belt receptor between the center console and adaptive sport seats. Per other threads, seems to be a common and "no fix" thing..

Old 08-21-2009, 05:22 PM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by patrija
Oh yeah, the other thing that drove me nuts is the squeaking from the cheap-a$$ seat belt receptor between the center console and adaptive sport seats. Per other threads, seems to be a common and "no fix" thing..
Man... I bought a Porsche because my Vette had rattles...

Old 08-22-2009, 12:51 AM
Stockton is just really niceStockton is just really niceStockton is just really niceStockton is just really nice
The fix for those is to drop your windows and fully depress your right foot!

Old 08-22-2009, 01:09 AM
motosport3 will become famous soon enoughmotosport3 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by patrija
Rattles drive me nuts! My C4S Cab has three "rattles" that I noticed on my first long drive last weekeng.

1) Rattle in the rear deck area. I spent a lot of time looking around at the rear window, carpet cover behind the seat, etc ... until I finally saw that one of the rear seat backs does not latch tightly. It does latch, but has play forward and back before it hits the latch. I'm guessing / hoping this was my rattle and will have the dealer look at it under warranty.

2) Rattle inside(?) the multifunction steering wheel. I've seen this one pop on other threads. Didn't see a solution, so definitely something for the dealer.

3) Rattle inside(?) the dash. No clue on this one. At keast it's the least annoying.

Any insights that I missed in other threads on these?
The rattle around the dash...previous owner of my car said that Porsche took out the instrument cluster and the fix was to add double sided tape inside and that eliminated the rattle. That is also the fix inside the Porsche Repair manuals. I have them but haven't looked.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:38 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Stockton
The fix for those is to drop your windows and fully depress your right foot!

and buy AWE

Old 08-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Does your dash rattle sound like it is coming from behind the heat/ac airflow ducts? I have a rattle that sounds like its coming directly from there.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:12 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
you need to find a good dealer to do this. it'll take several trips because you'll likely find more.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:15 AM
wdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the rough
rattles around speedo

The double sided tape is the theory, and the dealer will just do it by default. The problem is that they don't really analyze the root cause and this means that you have a multi-trip problem.

I imagine if you have a really great technician they will nail this, but you should expect to return for the exact same rattle at least 2-3 times before they finally figure out how to do it right.

On the plus side, you do get to borrow a Porsche from the dealer .

Old 08-22-2009, 04:13 PM
philcr2800 will become famous soon enough
The rear deck one could come from rear window, if it's a distinct "tack" each time you drive over some bumps or in curves. Dealers are used to this one.
Rattle from the dash and elsewhere actually come and go. Face it, a 911 is not a perfect finish. It's motoring perfection but quite some room for improvement with repect to inside and finish.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:04 PM
johnstoy is on a distinguished road
Dash one might be the cup holders: every few weeks (my commute to work includes a rough cement road) I need to open the cup holder door and re-close it to eliminate a buzz/rattle. It seems to get unseated after a while.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Stockton is just really niceStockton is just really niceStockton is just really niceStockton is just really nice
My car has cupholders! Really? No ****. Where?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:23 PM
mike87 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Stockton
My car has cupholders! Really? No ****. Where?
this is a joke right?

Old 08-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. My P is buttoned up the next 3 weeks while I work travel, but will visit the dealer when I get back!

Old 09-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Back from the travel.

I think I found the roof rattle! It seems to be coming from a bow support in the convertible top. It's the rear bow that is above the back seats. When I tap it, it's definitely loose - not sure if it's supposed to be but it's a PITA with bumps and certain road types

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07 C4S Cab ... Damn Rattles! 1 down (i hope) and 2 to go!