997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anyone else find sensor activated dash lights annoying?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:39 PM
B R A N D X® is infamous around these parts
Question Anyone else find sensor activated dash lights annoying?

Does anyone else find the light sensor that decides when your gauge cluster lights come on annoying?

At dusk the gauge lights transition back and forth between on and off as I pass through areas with shadows from trees etc.

When I turn my lights on I really just want my dash lights to also come on.....and stay on.

Besides putting a piece of black electrical tape over the sensor is there any way to solve this "issue"?

Old 09-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Is that stock on the 09?

Old 09-08-2009, 04:44 PM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
My 06 does this too. I have not found a way around it, but then again, I have only ever driven the car once at night in the 4 months I have owned it. Go figure.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:14 PM
B R A N D X® is infamous around these parts
Stock on the '09, but my '07 did this as well. Based on the lack of response it looks like a round piece of black electrician's tape cut out and placed over the sensor is the only solution.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:39 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
never noticed it, mine come on w/ lights i thought.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:45 PM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by B R A N D X®
Does anyone else find the light sensor that decides when your gauge cluster lights come on annoying?

At dusk the gauge lights transition back and forth between on and off as I pass through areas with shadows from trees etc.

When I turn my lights on I really just want my dash lights to also come on.....and stay on.

Besides putting a piece of black electrical tape over the sensor is there any way to solve this "issue"?
Curious you mention it, just last night I was having exactly the same felling . Where the damn sensor his placed? I will put the tape first thing in the morning, don´t like this feature at all.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:48 AM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
Was this an optional "feature"? My '06 does NOT do that. The dash lights only come on when I turn the headlight switch on.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Banned
Matt(in MA) is infamous around these parts
My '06 does not do this also. I can't seem to find it in the owners manual....

Matt

Old 09-09-2009, 11:25 AM
leneuromancer has a spectacular aura aboutleneuromancer has a spectacular aura about
odd ..my '06 does do it

Old 09-09-2009, 11:43 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
My '06 does it as well. Never bothered me that much though.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by B R A N D X®
Stock on the '09, but my '07 did this as well. Based on the lack of response it looks like a round piece of black electrician's tape cut out and placed over the sensor is the only solution.
I'll have to look. My experience so far is that the dash lights come on when I turn the headlights on. I've not seen that the dash lights come on without the headlights being activated.

I've not driven in the 'dusk' lighting that would be borderline and cause this issue to trigger, so it could well be I've just not been in the situation yet.

Could it be a configurable setting for the car? If it is, then when I went through the book and set things up, I'd likely have set it to turn on dash lights when headlights are turned on (disabling any auto-illumination setting).

So the key is drive with the headlights OFF but go into darker areas and the dash lights should kick on? I'd think that would happen in a dark garage, right? I'll have to go see if I can trigger something with the garage or an overpass.