997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cold Air Intake: Schnell V. Fabspeed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 03:57 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
[quote=B R A N D X®;2569997]Wouldn't the Fabspeed CAI have this same issue......lack of engine protection from water?

the Fabspeed tube runs from the Porsche intake box; you are not opening up anything

Old 10-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
How about the EVOMs intake? Sure, $600, but you get the filter. The BMC filter is $125 alone, the most incredible price I've ever seen for a filter BTW. And the BMC filter isn't going to improve intake sound.

How do you cap the Heimholz resonator without somehow doing something to the airbox connector tube? Devise a plastic cap and then reattach the tube? Any suggestions here?

The EVOMS intake also features a venturi style design which minimizes restrictions in air flow. The effectiveness of an intake is a subject of much debate, however the gains from it are proven. Not astronomical, but they are certainly there. And the sound.....just awesome!

Old 10-07-2009, 04:20 PM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
I just can't stand that hardware store broom holder they use for the oil fill and the cheap ill-fitting weatherstrip they use around the filter heat shield. For $600, its pathetic. Makes the X51 box seem worth the extra $$$.

Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
The EVOMS intake also features a venturi style design which minimizes restrictions in air flow. The effectiveness of an intake is a subject of much debate, however the gains from it are proven. Not astronomical, but they are certainly there. And the sound.....just awesome!

Old 10-07-2009, 04:29 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by machina
I just can't stand that hardware store broom holder they use for the oil fill and the cheap ill-fitting weatherstrip they use around the filter heat shield. For $600, its pathetic. Makes the X51 box seem worth the extra $$$.
My vote would go to X51 box as well. It`s just my gut feeling that airbox has to be sealed from engine compartment completely so intake system would remain in true CAI category.

From other perspective, imho CAI it is one of least important mods on a 977 car.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:31 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
[quote=Tom@Rennsport-1;2570674]The EVOMS intake also features a venturi style design which minimizes restrictions in air flow. The effectiveness of an intake is a subject of much debate, however the gains from it are proven. Not astronomical, but they are certainly there. And the sound.....just awesome!

+1 twice. Actually figuratively 'hurt my ears' at high revs the first time I drove after installing it.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:58 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
[quote=tejoe;2570699]
Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1

+1 twice. Actually figuratively 'hurt my ears' at high revs the first time I drove after installing it.
Is that an endorsement??
The airflow from the filter to the plenum is certainly a lot cleaner with the EVOMS than the K&N. Are there any flooding issues with the EVOMS?

Old 10-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
[quote=ryem3;2570833]
Originally Posted by tejoe

Is that an endorsement??
The airflow from the filter to the plenum is certainly a lot cleaner with the EVOMS than the K&N. Are there any flooding issues with the EVOMS?

Not at all. There are two small drains at the lowest points on the intake, in the event that any water gets into it.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Nexus-6 is infamous around these parts
Okay, here is something I don't get.

A lot of folks swear by the 'orange cap' mod, aka blocking off the resonator on the stock airbox. The claimed result is a 'throatier' and slightly louder intake note under low RPM conditions. By capping the resonator, you are keeping it in the closed position all the time.

However, Porsche states : "This reservoir is activated via a vacuum-controlled flap as a function of engine speed and using temperature compensation. The flap opens in the temperature range between 0 and 30 °C at between approx. 4,600 and 4,800 rpm and closes at between approx. 6,000 and 6,250 rpm."

Out of curiosity, I disconnected the vacuum line running to the resonator while the car was running at idle. Sure enough, it was applying vacuum to the resonator, meaning it is closed while it idle (the resonator flap, by default, is in the open position when it does not have vacuum applied - applying vacuum to it closes it). Based on what Porsche says in their technical documentation about this feature, it looks to me like this valve is already closed up until 4,600 RPM and it opens to nullify the slight boom that exists.

In other words, it's redundant to cap the resonator for this "throaty low rpm intake sound" many folks talk about. It may sound/seem like it's changing something but my findings indicate that it's only open for that short window above 4,600rpm. Also, for anyone who simply disconnects the vacuum line, you are not closing this flap - you are keeping the resonator open at all times.

The only difference I've been able to detect on the stock airbox while capping off the resonator is that you get a decent drone around 5,000rpm under WOT. Otherwise, the car sounds the same to me and the documentation I've been able to locate seems to support this.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I hear you, but doesn't the sport button affect the flap? Besides the throttle mapping, my car seems to have a throatier sound with the sport button on. I figure it must also actuate the flap.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:02 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
A few Daytona 24hr races ago I walked the Grand Am Koni garage looking at all the 997 Porshes. The engine compartments had either the stock box or the Evoms cold air box and all of them were wraped in gold heat foil.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Nexus-6 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ryem3
I hear you, but doesn't the sport button affect the flap? Besides the throttle mapping, my car seems to have a throatier sound with the sport button on. I figure it must also actuate the flap.
Different flap - you are hearing the exhaust flaps open up whilst in sport mode. The resonator flap in the intake is not tied into sport mode and is present even on cars not so equipped with sport chrono (ie sport mode).

Old 10-08-2009, 04:49 AM
Yes

[quote=ryem3;2570833]

"Is that an endorsement?? "(of the Evoms)

1) Endorsement? Yes, absolutely, sorry if it sounded like I was *****ing. Only negative I have is cleaning/changing the BMC filter - just about as easy to pull the whole box out first.

2) K&N Filters: I think they are great. After listening to their presentation at a Porscheplatz 2 years ago I put one on my Escalade and on road trips the mileage improved 5-7%. Based on this I'd surmise that replacing the OEM filter with a K&N on a P-car (both cheap and easy) would improve the intake airflow - but let's not confuse this with being the same as changing out the airbox.

Last edited by tejoe; 10-08-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:52 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
Evoms

Another vote for EVOMS

Old 10-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Here are a few pictures of the BGB motorsports 997's at New Jersey Motorsports with our cold air kit's installed.
Also click here for the dyno graph of the cold air kit combined with a BMC filter on a 997 'S'.

Name:  IMG_1161.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  119.2 KB
Name:  997ColdAirKitInstalledRaceCar.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  183.1 KB
Name:  997ColdAirKitInstalledRaceCar1.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  132.0 KB

Old 10-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mdrums
A few Daytona 24hr races ago I walked the Grand Am Koni garage looking at all the 997 Porshes. The engine compartments had either the stock box or the Evoms cold air box and all of them were wraped in gold heat foil.

If that's not a convincing endorsement, I'm not sure what is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake: Schnell V. Fabspeed