997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Left foot braking vs heel/toe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 04:52 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Left foot braking vs heel/toe

In my recent track day one of the instructors was talking about left foot braking.

Can someone explain it and compare it to heel/toe (or the roll method)

thanks

Old 10-15-2009, 05:43 AM
Banned
Sargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
In my recent track day one of the instructors was talking about left foot braking.

Can someone explain it and compare it to heel/toe (or the roll method)

thanks
I believe that every race car driver brakes w/ the left foot. Everything in racing is about fractions of a second and when breaking w/ the left foot, the right rests on the gas pedal for immediate acceleration, rather than waste the time would take to move the right foot from the brake to the gas. Once again we are talking fractions of a second, but many a racer has lost by those margains.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sargepug
I believe that every race car driver brakes w/ the left foot. Everything in racing is about fractions of a second and when breaking w/ the left foot, the right rests on the gas pedal for immediate acceleration, rather than waste the time would take to move the right foot from the brake to the gas. Once again we are talking fractions of a second, but many a racer has lost by those margains.
thanks...good info...

is it used in a any similar manner to heel/toe?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
You can use that on Thunderbolt at the beginning of the Jersey Devil. It helps keep the revs up. I do it all the time when I'm karting, but haven't really done it in my car on the track.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 AM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Left foot braking, try it on a drive by wire can for more than a tap and I do believe you will find out that the throttle goes to idle.

Peter

Old 10-15-2009, 09:39 AM
996toomey will become famous soon enough
Left foot braking and heel / toe or roll are used for different reasons. The heel / toe or roll are used to downshift to rev match so you do not get rear wheel skid when letting out the clutch.

Left foot braking is a technique used to keep or get the car in balance or maybe transfer a little weight to the front wheels. A person who uses left foot braking more than likely will still heel / toe or roll when downshifting.

This is a basic explanation.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by 996toomey
Left foot braking and heel / toe or roll are used for different reasons. The heel / toe or roll are used to downshift to rev match so you do not get rear wheel skid when letting out the clutch.

Left foot braking is a technique used to keep or get the car in balance or maybe transfer a little weight to the front wheels. A person who uses left foot braking more than likely will still heel / toe or roll when downshifting.

thanks...just what I was looking for..

Old 10-15-2009, 09:55 AM
AllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by XPGT2
Left foot braking, try it on a drive by wire can for more than a tap and I do believe you will find out that the throttle goes to idle.

Peter
+1

I think you can do both for about a second and then if the brake is still pressed the throttle goes to idle.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 AM
AllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the rough
Recently I met a TV/print car journalist who uses heel/toe for rev matching and also to keep his 993 balanced. He'll do the following:

Coming up to a turn he'll use his right toe on the brakes and swivel his heel for rev matching the downshifts. Then when he's in the correct gear, he'll maintain pressure on the brakes with his toe and then do his trailbraking. Partway through the turn when his trailbraking is about done, he'll very gently get on the gas with his heel only, keeping the car in complete balance.

As he goes through the turn he has now transitioned to gas only and zooms off through the apex. At some point in there he has moved to his full foot on the gas. He's ultra smooth going through the turn and you can't feel the transition from trailbraking to gas.

He practices on the street all the time and you can imagine how much practice that technique would need to be totally comfortable on the track.

I bow to him.

Cheers,
Allan

Old 10-15-2009, 05:04 PM
SFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of lightSFdreamer is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by AllanJ
Recently I met a TV/print car journalist who uses heel/toe for rev matching and also to keep his 993 balanced. He'll do the following:

Coming up to a turn he'll use his right toe on the brakes and swivel his heel for rev matching the downshifts. Then when he's in the correct gear, he'll maintain pressure on the brakes with his toe and then do his trailbraking. Partway through the turn when his trailbraking is about done, he'll very gently get on the gas with his heel only, keeping the car in complete balance.

As he goes through the turn he has now transitioned to gas only and zooms off through the apex. At some point in there he has moved to his full foot on the gas. He's ultra smooth going through the turn and you can't feel the transition from trailbraking to gas.

He practices on the street all the time and you can imagine how much practice that technique would need to be totally comfortable on the track.

I bow to him.

Cheers,
Allan
Hmmm, interesting strategy, I'll probably give this a shot.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:24 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute

Beautifully put! I was going to explain it but after your description there is no need...

Old 10-19-2009, 12:40 AM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
I don't have the link with me but do a search on youtube for Senna / NSX and you'll hopefully find some really good footage of Ayrton Senna working the pedals in an NSX around (I think) Suzuka. It shows both techniques.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:06 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of

Nice explanation. Only thing I would add is that sometimes people left foot brake and they can blip the throttle with their right foot to match down shifts. This can be for several reasons. One is less time for transition from gas to brake (or brake to gas).
If it is not natural for you, caution when left foot braking! In a panic you could hit the clutch instead of the brake. There has been more than one person who has gone full tilt off the track with the clutch presses and not the brake.