997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

how do you trade-in on an out of state purchase?

Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
how do you trade-in on an out of state purchase?

i really like to stay local with car purchases but lets assume i find a car i want at an out of state dealer, how is a trade in handled? would like to hear especially from those who have done this type of transaction and how it went down exactly.

my only experience with out of state transactions is when i sold a car to a private party. we talked on the phone, agreed on a deal, he flew in, looked at the car, paid via certified funds thru a local bank, took title and flew back. a few days later fedex showed up and picked up the car.

could someone here give me a similar blow by blow explanation?

Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I think private party and dealer is different. And I think different states are different - in terms of taxes. Probably best to ask the dealer in the state and then confirm it however you can carefully because sometimes dealers don't really know either. Your local DMV and the out of state DMV may be good resources.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:21 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I think the safest and most cost effective way is to sell your call privately. You will almost always get more than a dealer will give you on a trade-in.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 PM
keenan9 will become famous soon enoughkeenan9 will become famous soon enough
I was am actually going through the same exact scenario right now. What I did was work with my local dealership to do the transaction through them. I found the 2009 car I wanted at an out of state dealership, and had my dealer negotiate for a trade. They traded a 2010 model for the 2009 model I wanted, and I was able to take advantage of the great deals on the 2009 models. I take delivery of my 2009 C4S on Friday, and I am trading in my 2005 BMW 330xi as part of the transaction.

A good reason to do a trade-in versus a private sale is to save on the taxes on the new car purchase. My dealer is giving me roughly the same amount as what Carmax offered me which is pretty good.

Last edited by keenan9; 10-21-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
thanks guys, and yes, im looking at about a 4k savings for the trade in tax so if i sell my car private party, it needs to clear the 4k and then some to be worth while.

do they just appraise the trade in over the phone?

i do like the idea of doing this thru my local dealer even though they dont have what im looking for atm

Old 10-21-2009, 09:27 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bara
thanks guys, and yes, im looking at about a 4k savings for the trade in tax so if i sell my car private party, it needs to clear the 4k and then some to be worth while.

do they just appraise the trade in over the phone?

i do like the idea of doing this thru my local dealer even though they dont have what im looking for atm
My limited experiences with trade-in suggest that dealers look at the KBB trade-in value and hardly even look at the car. If they appear to pay more than KBB, they are really just taking it off the purchase price of the new car, which of course you could negotiate without a trade anyway. Just make sure the car you want isn't in Calfornia, since they tax the total purchase price regardless of any trade-in value. Greedy vultures!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Tom N C4S NC is on a distinguished road
I traded an SL55 on a new C4S last month at an out of state dealer. I too prefer to stay local, but as the 911 inventory got thin at the end of September, the local dealer did not have a car equipped anywhere close to what i was looking for.

So I did what we all do if looking for the best new 911 to meet our needs, which is to use the PCNA website. I found the car at a dealer 6 hours away, and called the sales manager to discuss availability and pricing.

I got an offer for the AMG car at a local Mercedes dealer (owned by the same group as the Porsche store) as a straight buy the car from me, which gave me a minimum trade in value for that car.

After agreeing on a price for the new C4S as a cash sale, I then inquired what they would allow in trade on my car. I described it accurately, including the scuff under the front bumper lip, and emailed several photos from all angles, tires, odometer, etc. They offered $2m more than the local Mercedes dealer. I wired funds for the difference since the deal had to close in September for the trunk money deal.

NC charges use tax (same as sales tax) on the difference between the purchase and the trade, and this is the case regardless of what state the car is purchased in.

I then drove about 360 miles late Wednesday afternoon, spent the night nearby, showed up at 10 AM at the dealer, and was on the road just after noon, having signed the usual forms, and transferred my old plate to the new car. (I called my insurance agent to swap coverage the day before).

I choose to do my own title work at the local DMV office the next week, when the MCO and other docs came in via FedEx from the selling dealer. That is when I paid the title, use tax, and plate transfer fees.

Easy transaction, and a pleasant drive home in a new 911!

Old 10-22-2009, 08:52 AM
ryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of light
Like KENINIRVINE said above, they really care about Mileage, Options and Tires. That's all they need to sell the car. Assuming the paint isn't completely trashed, they aren't going to spend a ton of time going over the car (unless you mislead them before sending it).

As for the transaction, they ship new car, you ship them your old car. It's way easier to sell local, but if that's not an option, it's not a huge deal to trade in out of state.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:55 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
i drove out of state, their state and mine both allow the tax savings for the value of the trade in, i got the title out of the bank, drove to them.. handed them title.. they checked car, i handed them check for difference on new car, and drove away..

the only question i would ask them is if their state allows the tax credit on the trade.. otherwise whats the benefit of trading it in?

btw i sent them pics/options/condition report and negotiated numbers before driving.. i did not however sign any papers before driving up but knew they would stay w/ the deal cause they were a good dealer.

in past i have done same with a lower brand dealership and they tried to take 1k off my trade value because it wasnt as explained.. which was BS... i told them when i got there its the agreed deal or i walk and they quickly went back to the agreed deal.

Last edited by wa1l1in; 10-22-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:41 PM
im looking for a GT3 is why this might go out of state, otherwise the there are plenty of C2/C4's around here.

i do appreciate all the info provided here. gives me a good idea of whats involved.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Lostturbo has a spectacular aura aboutLostturbo has a spectacular aura about
I did mine all on the phone. Traded in a M5, agreed to trade in price ( no pictures) and price on new C2S. Drove 300 or so miles the next morning, picked up new car, drove home. 1 hour on the phone, 11 hours driving, 1 hour for lunch and paper work.

Sales tax was a roll over ,the dealer took care of the paper work .

It really is easy. BTW dealer was AUTO PLACE PORSCHE, Buffalo, NY wonderful people
They even hardwired my radar detector in wile we had lunch. FOR FREE

Old 04-18-2018, 06:31 PM
DaveCSparty is an unknown quantity at this point
Bumping a 8.5 year old thread. I'm purchasing a used 997 from an out of state dealer (I'm in NY) and trading in my F80. I'm going to drive back the "new" car and do all the paperwork myself since they are not a registered dealer for NY.

I'm looking at the NY DTF-802 form and it doesn't look like there's a place for me to enter a trade in allowance. I know for NY if I purchased from a registered dealer I only have to pay taxes for purchase price less trade-in. Does anyone know how to fill out the form so I can get the same tax treatment myself?

Old 06-07-2022, 06:47 AM
kattyjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for sharing this information with us. I had no idea. I'm always looking for methods to make money online. I'm also looking for financial institutions who might be willing to lend you money. Please let us know if you know any of them. I will be grateful to you.