997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Repaint Entire Car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 04:26 PM
xbar is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sargepug
How old is your C2? A total repaint can be a problem if not done right. If you are frustrated w/ black you need to find the right detailer. I am a black fanatic and currently own 3 black cars. I have a detailer that specializes in black and turns the car into a black mirror, not a swirl fest. I think nothing looks better than a blk 911 and if your paint is in good condition, I would seek out the right detailer!
Mine is a 2006. The problem is not the detailing - I agree that the car looks great after a visit to a detailer, but keeping it looking that way is the issue. The clear coat on these cars are EXTREMELY SOFT and are super prone to swirls and scratches. Even a wipe down with a MF towel will create swirls visible in the sun. I'd like to keep the car looking nice, but can't afford a monthly detail that costs $500.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:30 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
i know for one, id never touch a repainted porsche.

-alex

Old 10-25-2009, 05:40 PM
PHDX2 will become famous soon enoughPHDX2 will become famous soon enough
Personally, I’d opt against repainting and instead trade the car for another in a preferred color for reasons identified elsewhere in this thread. But if you decide to repaint your Porsche or trade it in for one in another color, you might want to take a look at the following thread:

See https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...black-car.html

Excellent insights from members on colors and associated maintenance requirements.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Former Vendor
StuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to behold
We have repainted many cars. Porsche, Ferrari, Chevy, BMW, Toyota....name it! It's safe to say our paint work can beat a factory machine.

Make sure to do your homework on the shop before they paint your car! Ask lots of questions.

It's all going to depend on the "who's" doing it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Nathan

Old 10-25-2009, 09:22 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
I would pass from the sheer standpoint that all you would have is the sane old car but in a different color.

I fyou sold your car and took the 10k that it could take do to this well, couldn't you buy a nicer car than you already have and in the color you want? Any if you wanted to sell this new car in the above hypothetical situation, there would be no red flags since it was factory paint. Now if money is absolutely of no concern and you plan to keep this car forever, then paint away and make it your own.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:28 AM
RED05CS is on a distinguished road
Why don't you consider a wrap? Costs about 3-4k from the best, then at resale you can remove it and no headache.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:09 AM
Nexus-6 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by StuartsPNB
We have repainted many cars. Porsche, Ferrari, Chevy, BMW, Toyota....name it! It's safe to say our paint work can beat a factory machine.

Make sure to do your homework on the shop before they paint your car! Ask lots of questions.

It's all going to depend on the "who's" doing it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Nathan
I can vouch for Stuarts personally - they aren't just good. They aren't even great. They are hands down the best in Dallas. In fact, I'd have zero reservations suggesting that someone out of state should ship their car to them to have it done right.

From what I can tell, Boardwalk Ferrari, Porsche and every other high end dealer in DFW uses Stuart's exclusively. Many years ago, I purchased an M3 that had a few blemishes - nothing major but I wanted to clean them up. I had Stuarts take care of it and wasn't expecting it to be that much better than factory - in fact, I was just hoping it would be close to factory levels. It was PERFECT - I've used them twice for two seperate occasions since then for motorcycle bits and my wife's car (fender gouge).

Let me put it this way - I'm actually looking forward to needing my '05 C2S painted here in the next few years because the paint will be show quality when Stuarts is done with her (my C2S had a previous owner who loved her but used her for DD duty).

Depending on who is doing the paint work, I don't see it as a devalue issue whatsoever and see it as quite the opposite in fact. Even the best factory paint jobs out there leave a lot to be desired - case in point : the factory paint on my brand new 2004 Ferrari 360 Spider was thin, didn't appear to have enough flex agent on the bumpers and had orange peel - for a big $$$ car I was disappointed that the paint jobs on my "cheap American musclecars" put it to shame. One afternoon while picking the car up from Boardwalk Ferrari, they had a new F430 that had just arrived, still in the protective shipping stickers. When they peeled these from the front bumper, it pulled the paint right off with it. I couldn't believe it - further, the primer coat was a near white shade of gray...under black!

I bring this up to illustrate that thinking that the factory paint job can't be beat just isn't true in all cases (most cases I'd wager).

A show quality respray will make the car more desirable to those who know what to look for.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Former Vendor
StuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Nexus-6
I can vouch for Stuarts personally - they aren't just good. They aren't even great. They are hands down the best in Dallas. In fact, I'd have zero reservations suggesting that someone out of state should ship their car to them to have it done right.

From what I can tell, Boardwalk Ferrari, Porsche and every other high end dealer in DFW uses Stuart's exclusively. Many years ago, I purchased an M3 that had a few blemishes - nothing major but I wanted to clean them up. I had Stuarts take care of it and wasn't expecting it to be that much better than factory - in fact, I was just hoping it would be close to factory levels. It was PERFECT - I've used them twice for two seperate occasions since then for motorcycle bits and my wife's car (fender gouge).

Let me put it this way - I'm actually looking forward to needing my '05 C2S painted here in the next few years because the paint will be show quality when Stuarts is done with her (my C2S had a previous owner who loved her but used her for DD duty).

Depending on who is doing the paint work, I don't see it as a devalue issue whatsoever and see it as quite the opposite in fact. Even the best factory paint jobs out there leave a lot to be desired - case in point : the factory paint on my brand new 2004 Ferrari 360 Spider was thin, didn't appear to have enough flex agent on the bumpers and had orange peel - for a big $$$ car I was disappointed that the paint jobs on my "cheap American musclecars" put it to shame. One afternoon while picking the car up from Boardwalk Ferrari, they had a new F430 that had just arrived, still in the protective shipping stickers. When they peeled these from the front bumper, it pulled the paint right off with it. I couldn't believe it - further, the primer coat was a near white shade of gray...under black!

I bring this up to illustrate that thinking that the factory paint job can't be beat just isn't true in all cases (most cases I'd wager).

A show quality respray will make the car more desirable to those who know what to look for.
Thanks for the kind words my friend! We are hear to help...

I was talking with the guys about the whole "color change" topic.

Porsche's are painted inside and out. So yes, it will be an HUGE project to have a flawless color change.

We do NOT recommend it unless it's a MUST but it can be done.

A Ferrari on the other hand, has black paint on the inside. So it's different animal.

Personally, if it was me and I MUST have a color change, I would skip some the expensive areas: Engine bay etc. Granted we aren't going from White to black.

Here's the kicker, thanks to our lovely technology, we can just wrap it any color and some.

I'm a PM away for any questions.

-Nathan

Old 10-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Banned
Sargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by xbar
Mine is a 2006. The problem is not the detailing - I agree that the car looks great after a visit to a detailer, but keeping it looking that way is the issue. The clear coat on these cars are EXTREMELY SOFT and are super prone to swirls and scratches. Even a wipe down with a MF towel will create swirls visible in the sun. I'd like to keep the car looking nice, but can't afford a monthly detail that costs $500.

You should then get the 3M protection coat for about $800. My friend just did and I will as well, since you are correct about the soft paint. Get her detailed and then the 3m, then you will be golden!

Old 10-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. It was a nice thought, but based on everything you guys have said, I think I'll stay away.

Sargepug - have not heard of 3M protection coats - is it a spray?

Stuart - can you tell me a little bit more about this "wrap"?
How does it work and any sample pics?

THANKS!!

Old 10-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Nexus-6

Sorry to hear about your 360...

Stuart, your reputation precedes you. I'll keep you in mind when I need a major job done!

Old 10-27-2009, 06:47 AM
candyman168 is on a distinguished road
Here is a pic of mine wrapped. Original was black also. Completely reversible and you can change color if you get tired of it. Its also so much easier to dry after washing. I love it!

It started in Dubai... check them out at www.foilacar.ae

Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by candyman168
Here is a pic of mine wrapped. Original was black also. Completely reversible and you can change color if you get tired of it. Its also so much easier to dry after washing. I love it!

It started in Dubai... check them out at www.foilacar.ae
NICE! that looks awesome.