997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Repaint Entire Car?

Old 10-24-2009, 10:42 AM
xbar is on a distinguished road
Repaint Entire Car?

Has anyone here repainted their entire car before to a different color? I ran a quick search, but didn't find anything. I am getting somewhat tired of my black c2 and it's a pain to keep it looking shiny. I was thinking about possibly painting it white and wanted to know if anyone here tried something similar.

I imagine it'd cost a pretty penny, but still might be easier than trying to trade someone or sell-n-buy. I'm also aware that resell value may drop as well.

Any recommended body shop for this?

Thanks everyone.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:54 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I would never do it. No paint job is as good as original paint.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:38 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
If my car needed painting and money was not a problem, I would gladly replace the water based paint on my car with a better quality paint. Any good shop wpuld make it a better finish that the factory did.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
If my car needed painting and money was not a problem, I would gladly replace the water based paint on my car with a better quality paint. Any good shop wpuld make it a better finish that the factory did.
what do you suppose "better quality paint" costs?

Old 10-24-2009, 12:01 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Here in Canada....alot of the paint shops HAVE to switch to the water based paints.
The big expense of painting a whole car(color change) comes from having to disassembling and assemble it back together.All the door and trunk jambs need to be painted for a color change....and what about under the hood where the battery sits?
Around the engine?
I personally would have NO problem with getting my car repainted with a reputable shop......as they can do some amazing stuff these days,however the cost of a color change....no way,I would trade it off and get the color I wanted.

For a price over the internet......who knows,sky is the limit!
$4000,6,000....8,000...?

GL,

Stacy

PS If you say you don't care about jambs and the hidin' areas...vinyl wrap it!
This way when you are done with the car,you peel the wrap and KEEP your resale.....

Last edited by justatoy; 10-24-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by justatoy
Here in Canada....alot of the paint shops HAVE to switch to the water based paints.
The big expense of painting a whole car(color change) comes from having to disassembling and assemble it back together.All the door and trunk jambs need to be painted for a color change....and what about under the hood where the battery sits?
Around the engine?
I personally would have NO problem with getting my car repainted with a reputable shop......as they can do some amazing stuff these days,however the cost of a color change....no way,I would trade it off and get the color I wanted.

For a price over the internet......who knows,sky is the limit!

GL,

Stacy
Thanks for your thoughts Stacy.

I've seen guys paint only their exterior panels (leaving engine bay, trunk, etc a different color) but I don't think I'd like that.

I think I will stay away.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:08 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
you'll raise a lot of flags if you ever try to sell it with a paint job.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:36 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
For an immaculate complete paint job where all body panels, including door jams, engine/trunk bay, etc are painted, it would cost you $15000 easily where I am at, but the finished product is amazing.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:10 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
+1 on de-value. Better off trading or selling your car then building one paint to order.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:57 PM
RUFLUV is on a distinguished road
After you pay for all the needed prep for a total repaint & add in the hit you will take when you sell/trade the car it is a very bad decision. Trade up, get a newer 997 and pick a color you want...all for the same $$$......

Old 10-24-2009, 03:51 PM
lakercarrera is on a distinguished road
could always get a wrap

Old 10-24-2009, 05:04 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
I just had my 993 repainted (same color) cost was about $9000 from a very reputable shop here in Toronto (in addition they re-dyed the leather and i had new carpets installed for the 9k) They took every panel apart, took it down to bare metal and started from scratch, car looks freakin amazing. Car got keyed and the insurance wanted to 'feather' paint over the scratches, so i paid the difference to get it done right

All i can say is if you repaint your car, get it documented, pics before, during etc....., this will make it easier to explain if you ever resell it. I took so many pictures that i could make a flip book of the whole process

btw...i took 6 weeks, so get ready to part with the car for a while to get it done right

w

Old 10-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Banned
Sargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by xbar
Has anyone here repainted their entire car before to a different color? I ran a quick search, but didn't find anything. I am getting somewhat tired of my black c2 and it's a pain to keep it looking shiny. I was thinking about possibly painting it white and wanted to know if anyone here tried something similar.

I imagine it'd cost a pretty penny, but still might be easier than trying to trade someone or sell-n-buy. I'm also aware that resell value may drop as well.

Any recommended body shop for this?

Thanks everyone.
How old is your C2? A total repaint can be a problem if not done right. If you are frustrated w/ black you need to find the right detailer. I am a black fanatic and currently own 3 black cars. I have a detailer that specializes in black and turns the car into a black mirror, not a swirl fest. I think nothing looks better than a blk 911 and if your paint is in good condition, I would seek out the right detailer!

Old 10-24-2009, 05:38 PM
equ
equ can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by w00zie
I just had my 993 repainted (same color) cost was about $9000 from a very reputable shop here in Toronto (in addition they re-dyed the leather and i had new carpets installed for the 9k) They took every panel apart, took it down to bare metal and started from scratch, car looks freakin amazing. Car got keyed and the insurance wanted to 'feather' paint over the scratches, so i paid the difference to get it done right

All i can say is if you repaint your car, get it documented, pics before, during etc....., this will make it easier to explain if you ever resell it. I took so many pictures that i could make a flip book of the whole process

btw...i took 6 weeks, so get ready to part with the car for a while to get it done right

w
Congrats! Love the adventurine green.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by w00zie

w
Thanks for sharing your story. That helps a lot. 9k!! wow - definitely more than what I thought, but I'm sure the car looks amazing.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Repaint Entire Car?