997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Things you like and dislike with your Porsche

Old 11-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
Things you like and dislike with your Porsche

Hey All, tried searching for similar posts so I apologize. A similar thread in the M3 forums was fun. I though it would be good to start a post here.

Lets start with things your like about your Porsche and things you may not be happy with. Sorry, I can't start it as I don't own one yet

Old 11-28-2009, 01:06 AM
muerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to all
OK...I'll bite.

What I like:
Performance
Reliability
Not too flashy

What I don't like (getting pretty nit-picky here):
Funny whistle on the side mirrors
Key fob only has a button for lock/unlock, not one for lock, one for unlock

From my perspective...positives outweigh negatives 100:1, but everybody has their own math on this...

Old 11-28-2009, 01:10 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Likes -
1) The way it fuses simplicity with complexity in one tight package .
2) It can drive with such precision .
3) It's seamless and linear acceleration .
4) The sound of the engine at my back.
5) The manual gearbox which slices through the gears with such quality
6) The high tech advances of the PDK .
7) watching the car evolve from it's days of air cooled engines , offset pedals, 5 dials , simple interior into its modern day model which is still recognizeable after decades of revision .
8) The enjoyment it brings on the face of most who drive it
9) The comfort for being as small as it is
10) The feeling of accomplishment having participated in owning a small piece of automotive history .

Dislikes -
I won't classify these as "dislikes" -but here is where the car has room to improve -

1) would like to see better sound system .
2) would like to see improvement in anti theft and xenon light protection
3) would like to see Porsche offer option packages and include items like full leather as standard equipment .
4) OEM factory clear bra as an option covered under warranty.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:26 AM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Answered as using for a daily driver

1.) PDK
2.) performance for 385hp (more on this later)
3.) lines/body of car
4.) flies under the radar
5.) availability of back seat
6.) handling/cornering
7.) interior room for us tall people
8.) don't see one at every stop light

Dislikes (wish list):

1.) more power (for 70-80k awesome, my msrp 103k,
want near 450-475 for that kind of $$)
2.) I also have strange whistling noise (side mirror??)
3.) bit more cargo storage
4.) passenger window to go up automatically like drivers
5.) still can't get used to steering wheel buttons,
push-upshift, pull-downshift or vice versa??

Old 11-28-2009, 07:31 AM
rcarpi2 is on a distinguished road
Likes/ Dislikes

Power, smoothness, simplicity, fit and finish, PDK rocks (I cant believe I said it).
I love Porsches!

Dislikes:
I hate the fact it does make a chirp or beep a horn when its locked.. a couple flashes of the lights isnt good enough.
Enable the ability to have auto headlights.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Ridleyguy is on a distinguished road
07Speed, I might be wrong about your 4. dislike, but my understanding is the passenger side window function is a safety issue, similar to the change made on the sunroof function in the 997.2. Hopefully someone else can confirm this.

Yrralis1, you have listed the manual gearbox as something you like. I agree with you on that, although with a 6-spd and w/o a gate, there is always a risk that one could accidentally downshift at high rpms into 3rd gear and over rev the engine. Your thoughts on gated vs ungated? I believe the Audi R8's transmission is gated, for example.

Last edited by Ridleyguy; 11-28-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:09 AM
porscheconvert is on a distinguished road
Had mine about a month now, but here's my take:

2. Visibility of road...except in reverse (I have cab)
3. Handling (confidence)...love the steering!
4. Insanely comfortable for taller guy (6'2)...car seems built just for me
5. 3rd gear!
6. Brand, community, ownership experience

Upside:
1. Weak sound (ie doesn't match performance)...fixable
2. Hard to get in and out of (I'm in very good shape)
3. Interior is "ok" (I have full leather, more referring to lots of plastic)
4. Not as fast in first 2 gears as others
5. Tire habit

Old 11-28-2009, 08:11 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Fast at the track in stock form
Brake pads easy to change due to open back calipers
PDK
Fit and Finish
Available Options...you can make the car anything you want

Dislikes
You are forced to get a sunroof
Sport Bucket Seats option sit too high and too forward with zero adjustment like stock manual seats- I am a tall guy!
Bose stereo- Did not get it in my current car and I do not miss it
Wish I had PDK Paddles
Stock exhaust is too heavy and quiet
Limited camber adjustment for the front

I do not like the fact that I can not get a GT3 or GT3RS with PDK. Just so some who are reading this...I lost my left leg years ago when I was hit while on my motorcycle, I can not push a clutch with a prosthetic leg. My wish for PDK in a GT3/GT3RS is a selfish wish but so far Porsche has helped me greatly with PDK. PDK is a god send for me at the track mostly due to downshifting rev matching. Simply beautiful! Thanks Prosche and hopefully you will grant my dreams of PDK in a GT3/GT3RS

Old 11-28-2009, 08:19 AM
carfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks Prosche and hopefully you will grant my dreams of PDK in a GT3/GT3RS
I had a left knee operation some years ago and when driving manual cars (GT3 clutch is not soft...) my knee hurts at night

I absolutely love my C4S with PDK, but as mdrums suggests, if Porsche could supply the GT3 with PDK, it would be the best car in the world, period !

Old 11-28-2009, 08:36 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
For those that have one will know that driving one is all you need to do to love one.

Dislikes: As side from the sunroof, everything that one doesn't like can be modified easily.

The no beep and window not going up with a one touch, check out the remote key www.mods4cars.com

Mike, Brey Krause makes a set of pieces that connect the rails to the seats that is one inch lower then the OEM, I might get them for my car next season.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:41 AM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by porscheconvert

1. Weak sound (ie doesn't match performance)...fixable
Originally Posted by mdrums

Stock exhaust is too heavy and quiet

Yes..Yes... Thanks Guys. How can I forget. A more aggressive exhaust sound!!

Old 11-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Mike, Brey Krause makes a set of pieces that connect the rails to the seats that is one inch lower then the OEM, I might get them for my car next season.

Wow This is great to know.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:59 AM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
-Handling
-Easy to reach in the back seat
-Can go from daily commuter to the track
-brakes
-heritage - knowing that the knowledge from each 911 generation is passed on to the next one, and that the car has remained a 911 for all these years

Dislikes (not many,,,,so probably better defined as annoyances)

-1 lock/unlock button
-no 'beep' when you lock your doors,,,,,i'm always second guessing myself on whether i locked it or not
-simple things like bluetooth & ipod connectivity are an option and not standard
-the standard labor rate at my Porsche dealer

Old 11-28-2009, 09:38 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Interesting thread... it clearly shows those who get the 11 and those who don't and are just looking-in. The dislikes of some clearly point up to a very different car.

And BTW... the 'no beep' when doors are locked is a very good thing. I can see the double flash just fine and I do not need the obnoxious horn. My other german car does not beep either.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:43 AM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by adias

And BTW... the 'no beep' when doors are locked is a very good thing. I can see the double flash just fine and I do not need the obnoxious horn. My other german car does not beep either.

My A6 does a little 'beep' ,not honk, which i find is perfect. I wouldn't want the loud horn honk you hear on some other cars either (like my '07 Passat)

99% of the time i forget to pay attention to the flashes, which is why an audible cue would help a guy like me

w

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Things you like and dislike with your Porsche