997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The Sequel: SC install, DIY, Justatoy to Cattman

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:46 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by justatoy
You really CAN turn this type of work into a rewarding project,besides it will also be money saving !
Especially IF you want to play with pulleys at a later date,you won't have to keep forking out $$$$ for labor!
Stacy
All true, all true. Nevertheless rather than to pay to somebody for garage rent I would simply pay for install and would get it done professionally.
As you stated in similar terms - to get any DIY complex job done you need space, tools and time. If you have none of that readily available I would think twice about getting into this myself.

I have one car garage on rather small size. There is simply not enough space there to keep all car parts if I decide to take all bumpers off, etc. So, most half of fun would be gone just due to clatter effect any big job would create.
Plus I really hate to work under car if it is not on scissor lift, it is very uncomfortable in small garage where nothing fits. And floor is cold.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:39 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Sometimes, there is more reward doing a project yourself and it has nothing to do with how much money you save or spend.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Sometimes, there is more reward doing a project yourself and it has nothing to do with how much money you save or spend.

very true, you should see my 914 and TR3.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Thanks for all the thoughts, guys.

I totally understand that there are many reasons to just write the check, and pick up my car, SC'd in a week. There is no doubt that it would be easier, and perhaps cheaper, to have it professionally installed.

But guys like me and Stacy are different. We've undertaken DIY's that most wouldn't. In fact, we're in the extreme minority just by deciding to SC our 997S! Consider this: globally, there are probably about 200 997's that have been SC'd, between VF-E and TPC. How many of those do you think were DIY? Maybe three or four?

So, that begs, the question: why DIY? The answer is personal: I have a very hi-profile, hi-stress job. Crawling under the car and turning the wrench is a great escape for me. As crazy as it sounds, I love the roller coaster ride that DIY is: the frustrating lows, the euphoric highs. Somehow, I need them. If you're not in my shoes I don't expect you to understand.

Another reason is that I enjoy the intimacy with my car. I really dig knowing how everything works. I crave it, and this fulfills it. Will I be in over my head? Yes. Will I overcome it? You bet I will. Now how good will that feel? To me, that'll be worth more than the extra 120 rwhp.
CATTMAN

Old 12-19-2009, 06:19 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Cattman
Thanks for all the thoughts, guys.

I totally understand that there are many reasons to just write the check, and pick up my car, SC'd in a week. There is no doubt that it would be easier, and perhaps cheaper, to have it professionally installed.

But guys like me and Stacy are different. We've undertaken DIY's that most wouldn't. In fact, we're in the extreme minority just by deciding to SC our 997S! Consider this: globally, there are probably about 200 997's that have been SC'd, between VF-E and TPC. How many of those do you think were DIY? Maybe three or four?

So, that begs, the question: why DIY? The answer is personal: I have a very hi-profile, hi-stress job. Crawling under the car and turning the wrench is a great escape for me. As crazy as it sounds, I love the roller coaster ride that DIY is: the frustrating lows, the euphoric highs. Somehow, I need them. If you're not in my shoes I don't expect you to understand.

Another reason is that I enjoy the intimacy with my car. I really dig knowing how everything works. I crave it, and this fulfills it. Will I be in over my head? Yes. Will I overcome it? You bet I will. Now how good will that feel? To me, that'll be worth more than the extra 120 rwhp.
CATTMAN
You will also have the advantage of learning how the system operates which will make it easier for you to find problems and/or make modifications to the system.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:45 AM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Cattman

But seriously, who has some ATL garage space for me? Or a car to loan? No, I am NOT kidding!
CATTMAN
You're always welcome to come up here to Toronto, I have a spacious garage at my house & a 40,000 sq ft warehouse at my office for you to pick from

PLUS it's a balmy 10 deg F right now, and snow is on it's way, perfect SC testing conditions!

Old 12-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Haha, you're the best, JP! I may take you up on that, although right now I am trying to find something closer to home.

My neighbor offered me his place through Jan 1, but the SC won't even be here by then.

Doesn't anyone know of some space available in Alpharetta? Anything heated and lit that I can pull a car into?
CATTMAN

Old 12-19-2009, 02:23 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by w00zie
You're always welcome to come up here to Toronto, I have a spacious garage at my house & a 40,000 sq ft warehouse at my office for you to pick from

PLUS it's a balmy 10 deg F right now, and snow is on it's way, perfect SC testing conditions!
This could of been a great location to do this....LOL.....I know that a few people south of the border that would probably show up,LOL!!!

Stacy

Old 12-19-2009, 07:55 PM
What are you saying, you want me to drive to CA and you'll do the install with me?
CATTMAN

Old 12-23-2009, 10:56 PM
So today I sent Stacy the check, OUCH!
He's got the kit packed and ready to ship.

Tools I've been told I need:
-2,3,4,5,6,12m hex
-15,20,25,30,40 torx
-LED light
-22m socket
-Silicone Spray
-Magnetic extender
-Mirror extender
-3" and 6" socket extensions
-Full metric sockets, with 10 and 13 deep, and 3" and 6" extenders
-4 three-ton jackstands
-1 two ton hydraulic jack
-vacuum gauge plus 10" hose

Fortunately I had almost everything, but I still need to find:
-12m hex
-vacuum gauge plus 10" hose
-4 three-ton stands

I plan to go to Sears tomorrow. Craftsman is a brand I can trust. And if I get crushed, I'd prefer my wife sue Sears than AutoZone, LOL!

Stacy, send it on, I am ready!
CATTMAN

Old 12-23-2009, 11:01 PM
The garage space issue seems, initially, to be resolved. My friend, and local 6speeder, Lysoleverywhere, has a garage available in his complex that meets my needs for $80/month, which is a steal.

So, now all I need is the kit, and a rental Yaris for a couple of weeks.
What is realistic working 5 hrs day? 2 weeks?
CATTMAN

Old 12-23-2009, 11:18 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
14 days x 5 hours per day is 70 hours. I think Stacy was at about 2000 hours for his time. So you should be fine as 1 normal persons hour = 50 Stacy hours.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:34 PM
I know Stacy is slow and steady. But seriously, is 100 hrs reasonable? If 2 handy gents are on the job, 50 hrs?
CATTMAN

Old 12-24-2009, 06:06 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have heard that for a mechanic it should take no more then 40 hours to install. If work efficently, I don't see it being a problem.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:01 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I have heard that for a mechanic it should take no more then 40 hours to install. If work efficently, I don't see it being a problem.
There are mechanics,if I remember correctly,doing the installs in 17-20 Hrs.
But the thing is,they have done a few.

I could have done it quicker here on my end but I would get to an certain point of install and then have to wait for more parts to be shipped!
This is why I have been so careful to be sure that Cattman will NOT have this issue!

Stacy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Sequel: SC install, DIY, Justatoy to Cattman