997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Opinions on ditching the C4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:28 PM
drkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to all
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I would imagine that your C4 is not worth too much more on the market then a new Boxster S, I would keep your C4 and drive it when you want. I would also look at a good 1-2 year old SUV (with CPO) for those days that the C4 isn't practical. I have an older Touareg, but it only has 45k miles, and is covered for another 4 years of warranty (just bought an extended warranty). If you are looking at a Q5 or Cayenne, look at the Touareg, perhaps a nice CPO'd V10TDi, it will give a Cayenne TT a run for it's money, and will get great milage at the same time, for a lot less money.
+1 for me

Old 12-20-2009, 10:38 PM
REFLUX is just really niceREFLUX is just really niceREFLUX is just really niceREFLUX is just really nice
Originally Posted by printemps2001
It is a 2007 C4 that has been my daily driver since new......

I'm moving to the top of a mountain....

possibly get rid of it and buy a leftover Boxter S for around 50k and add a nicer SUV....

My primary fear is that as good as a Boxter S is, it just won't elicit the same emotion that I still get from looking at the 997
IMO, above are the main points of your original post, here are my thoughts:

1) You own a 911
2) You are moving to the top of a mountain
3) You are considering trading the 911 for a Boxster S and an SUV
4) You're worried that you won't get as big a hard on when looking at a Boxster as a 911.

Points #3 and #4 make me wonder if you would really benefit from owning a sports car in general. I don't know what the roads are like to/from the top of a mountain but I would imagine they're pretty damn windy and fun to drive.
Consider how many people take road trips JUST to hit these kinds of roads while you are going to be driving these routes EVERY DAY?

Yes, I can see where you're coming from in dealing with shoddy mountain roads in the winter, for sure go with a capable SUV with winter tires (and stud them). But winter only lasts so long and if your lifestyle continues with making daily commutes to/from your mountain home, why not do it in something you enjoy and feel comfortable in?

A Boxster S is a very capable car and would make for a very enjoyable ride however this point is moot since in the original post, there was no mention of the enjoyment of driving.
Sports car + mountain roads = driving; if you aren't buying to drive then don't buy, go with something that will get you from A to B
Sports car + visual appeal = garage queen; if you're buying for looks, then don't limit yourself to a Boxster or even the Porsche brand

If your post failed to mention that you also enjoy driving a 911 and that it brings a certain "something" to your time on the asphalt, then my thought is to keep the 911 for all the reasons the other members have already stated OR go test drive a Boxster S, see if the dealer will loan it to you for a day or two and see what life is like with it instead of the C4.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Ahmet is infamous around these parts
Old 12-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Ahmet is infamous around these parts
I've dealt with Paul at Bristol for my Porsche, and I was very satisfied, highly recommended. I checked out the M5 I've linked as well, and it seemed like a nice and tight car...

Old 12-25-2009, 08:19 AM
fang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of light
Right on!

[quote=REFLUX;2661447]IMO, above are the main points of your original post, here are my thoughts:

1) You own a 911
2) You are moving to the top of a mountain
3) You are considering trading the 911 for a Boxster S and an SUV
4) You're worried that you won't get as big a hard on when looking at a Boxster as a 911.

REFLUX, that is the best. And you're definitely right about #4- LOL!

Old 12-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Keep the C4. The depreciation is horrible and as great as Boxsters are, it's a trade down. Spare the money. Don't buy a big/expensive SUV. They are terrible cars and a blight on the landscape (!). Get a Subaru for those days that you can't take the C4. And for the saved money, you could get a WRX or something like that. It's a win, win.
Of course you might find it's faster than the P-car

Old 12-26-2009, 08:57 AM
markar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to all
Keep the c4 buy GM right now they having good deals.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:32 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fskof
I also would recommend the Touareq. I have a 2004 Touareq V8 with 64k miles and it has been flawless. It tows my mastercraft in the summer and it's my winter vehicle. You can pick them up for a steal but I would avoid the 6cyl they seem to have problems with them. If you can find a V10TDi I would jump all over that!
Touareg. Big heavy vehicle that sucks gas with ease. My V8 never got better than 20MPG but I'm in the Denver area so the altitude didn't help that.

Touareg.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:11 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PT Doc
Touareg. Big heavy vehicle that sucks gas with ease. My V8 never got better than 20MPG but I'm in the Denver area so the altitude didn't help that.

Touareg.
Same diff for the Cayenne S... but if one needs one...

Also... if we were not burning the rubbish E-10 gas, mileage would be 20% better.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:13 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Michael,
Nooo.... Don't do it... Here's an offer. Hold off until spring and borrow our 05 Boxster S for a week. See how you like it. You may find that you enjoy the platform more than your C4. If you decide Boxster and Escape (or whatever) is the better combination, then the spring market will be better for you to sell your C4 anyway. Or, you may find that while the Boxster is a fun all-around car, you really want to keep the C4. No harm, no foul. Plus by then you'll have a winter of experience with the C4 to know if the commute is really any worse. Give a call if you want to talk...

Old 12-26-2009, 05:57 PM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
I'm throwing my vote in to keep that C4. If you ditch it you'll realize in about 5 mos that you made a mistake and regret selling it. Likely to pay a large premium if you decide to buy another. If you love driving the car, then absolutely keep it.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Steven B is infamous around these parts
Keep the car and enjoy it - Agree Subaru STI for the bad days.