997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PDK Transmission fault / error !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:03 AM
doug2255 has a spectacular aura aboutdoug2255 has a spectacular aura about
PDK Transmission fault / error !!!

I am getting closer and closer to the magical 2K break in period on my 09 C2S and found myself at a red light and decided to to do an almost WOT (+/- 90%) for maybe 1st to 3rd.

Well, the tranny never left 1st gear !! Hung up in 1st, got an error message concerning the transmission (can't remember the exact wording).

Of course I was in the left lane (4 lane divided rd) in heavy traffic. After the initial burst off the line, the other traffic was on me fast once I got stuck in 1st gear. I had to put on the flashers and wait for what seemed an eternity for an opening to get to the right lane, then the shoulder (while watching all who passed me smile ...).

After I got to the shoulder and restarted the engine, it "reset" everything and all now seems fine, other my confidence it trying another WOT attempt.

I did a quick search for this kind of fault on the forum and found nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be (very) concerned? Should I take it to the dealer to see the code and go from there?

Old 01-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Banned
Matt(in MA) is on a distinguished road
The error code is saved in the DME. Take it to your dealer ASAP and have it looked at. They can read the code and determine the fault.

Matt (in MA)

Old 01-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Leaving for the dealer right now. Will let you know waht happens next.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Former Vendor
Erik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the rough
I too am looking forward to hearing how this one turned out. The PDK being so new still, I find it interesting to hear about how it is working out in the real world.

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxle
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell

Old 01-15-2010, 04:46 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
[quote=doug2255;2688904]I am getting closer and closer to the magical 2K break in period.... on my 09 C2S and found myself at a red light and decided to to do an almost WOT (+/- 90%) for maybe 1st to 3rd.

quote]

Funny.. I broke mine in in just 2 miles and floored it at 3 miles. Been WOT ever since. Break in periods are overrated...if you only knew how the factory checks the engine before shipping.
Hey..but good for you...to each his own.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:33 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by doug2255
I am getting closer and closer to the magical 2K break in period on my 09 C2S and found myself at a red light and decided to to do an almost WOT (+/- 90%) for maybe 1st to 3rd.

Well, the tranny never left 1st gear !! Hung up in 1st, got an error message concerning the transmission (can't remember the exact wording).

Of course I was in the left lane (4 lane divided rd) in heavy traffic. After the initial burst off the line, the other traffic was on me fast once I got stuck in 1st gear. I had to put on the flashers and wait for what seemed an eternity for an opening to get to the right lane, then the shoulder (while watching all who passed me smile ...).

After I got to the shoulder and restarted the engine, it "reset" everything and all now seems fine, other my confidence it trying another WOT attempt.

I did a quick search for this kind of fault on the forum and found nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be (very) concerned? Should I take it to the dealer to see the code and go from there?

Were you in M (manual) mode thinking that you were in D? This has happened to others.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:36 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 07speed
Funny.. I broke mine in in just 2 miles and floored it at 3 miles. Been WOT ever since. Break in periods are overrated...if you only knew how the factory checks the engine before shipping.
Hey..but good for you...to each his own.

FYI... the factory does not hot bench test the new engines at all. Engines are cold tested to check overall tolerances but not fired up. Each car is driven after completion on its own power for a few minutes at speeds up to 70MPH on a dyno, hardly a break-in. Now you know.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:07 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by adias
Were you in M (manual) mode thinking that you were in D? This has happened to others.

The Error was CODEF911: God you're killing me, shift UP already!

Old 01-15-2010, 07:34 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 01-15-2010, 11:33 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by adias
FYI... the factory does not hot bench test the new engines at all. Engines are cold tested to check overall tolerances but not fired up. Each car is driven after completion on its own power for a few minutes at speeds up to 70MPH on a dyno, hardly a break-in. Now you know.
Was told that each car was run thru various 'cycles' (whatever that means) and the engine is
brought to redline..??? I now that car enthusiasts all have different opinions on break in periods and I have tried them all on different cars. Never really hold onto cars long enough to make an opinion on the long term effects on an engine. I can understand if owners are hesitant to bring an engine to redline but not above a certain rpm...well you have better will power than me.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:29 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 07speed
Was told that each car was run thru various 'cycles' (whatever that means) and the engine is
brought to redline..??? I now that car enthusiasts all have different opinions on break in periods and I have tried them all on different cars. Never really hold onto cars long enough to make an opinion on the long term effects on an engine. I can understand if owners are hesitant to bring an engine to redline but not above a certain rpm...well you have better will power than me.
I think it was an article about this describing that factory changed this procedure some time ago and engines do not get xx hours runs on a stand anymore. They literally just do as described above so when you get it - it is not by any means broken in and running it to redline you get all the usual consequences if piston rings edges are still very rough.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:31 AM
OK - Here's the latest:

1st, Yes adias, it was in "D" -

The dealer said there were a "couple" of codes stored. Since I only have seen this one, I assume the others were during previous "test drives". This is an 09 with only 250'ish miles on her when I got it two weeks ago, but I do not know how long the dealer had it.

They also said there 'several" software updates they had to apply to the TCU (Transmission Control Unit).

The fault stored in memory was "P0841".

So now after being reassured there were no other issues and/or problems I started the 30 mile drive home .....

Now the rest of the news:

About 15 miles out, it happened AGAIN!! This time it was on a back road with heavy traffic and I was driving in "D" like a old man, just putting along. This time I just accelerated slightly, so the PDK went form 6th or 7th down to 3rd - and that was it - stuck in 3rd!! .

Pulled off the road and had to restart to reset the PDK.

Went back to the dealer. Now they want to take a closer look at this issue and will need to keep the car for a few days. Since it late Friday, I got their best loaner available - a Subaru Forrester and a promise they will call me on Monday.

When I go back to pick her up, hopefully on Monday, I will find out how long they had this on the lot and why the did not update/flash ALL updates to ALL on board computers before I drove off with her.

I will keep you posted.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:47 AM
brewster16 will become famous soon enough
Wow....that must really suck. Subaru Forester? Ouch!!!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by brewster16
Wow....that must really suck. Subaru Forester? Ouch!!!
It was their nicest (and dirtiest) one they had .

They apologized about half a dozen times about this .

Old 01-16-2010, 08:08 AM
aroby is on a distinguished road
I had the same yesterday morning. I have < 2K miles on the car. Started it up and that error showed. Tried to engage reverse to back out of the garage and the red LED next to R was just blinking. Switched off and restarted and it was fine. In my case, this sounds like some kind of sensor error, since the car hadn't even moved.

Anthony

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK Transmission fault / error !!!