997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Why Are Used Porsche Prices Going Up So Fast??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:48 AM
Sven has a spectacular aura aboutSven has a spectacular aura about
The time to buy

I am told that before Presidents' day weekend car dealers as a whole are pessimistic, and right now are trying to make their numbers for January. After Presidents' day, their spirits perk up and so do prices.

I am shopping this weekend and hopeful - based on some preliminary inquiries - that I can score an '07 911 S (CPO) at a reasonable price. Will report back.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by H20SKIER
I think all of you guys that have said cars are more scarce are pretty close. I think lots have given up on getting the number $$$ they need to so they've put em back in the garage and are waiting or have flat out given up.
One of the cars I was looking at was slightly overpriced. I made a reasonable offer and he didn't say no but said he had to wait and see what other offer he got and would get back to me. I just heard from him three months ago an and said he decided to keep it and sell his BMW instead.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:19 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
One of the cars I was looking at was slightly overpriced. I made a reasonable offer and he didn't say no but said he had to wait and see what other offer he got and would get back to me. I just heard from him three months ago an and said he decided to keep it and sell his BMW instead.
same thing as with houses - people sale now only out of desperation, so all the good houses are simply off market.
last summer had a wave of desperation after a lot of folk on east coast where kicked out from jobs, so, a lot of folks panicked. now it has settled a bit so I would not expect to see a lot of offers. unless we get a new shock wave like credit card bubble bursting, etc.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:38 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
I dont know much about Porsches but I do know about the economy and the stock mkt...trust me, prices will be coming down again real soon...the stock mkt will crater this fall and the double dip recession will be undeniable by second half of this yr...sorry to be a party pooper but gotta call it the way I see it....deflation isnt over by a longshot.

2-3 yrs from now, it will be unsafe to drive our cars in public unless you want a beatdown...think about why Brown won in MA and multiply by 10...

Old 01-29-2010, 10:47 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mact3333
I dont know much about Porsches but I do know about the economy and the stock mkt...trust me, prices will be coming down again real soon...the stock mkt will crater this fall and the double dip recession will be undeniable by second half of this yr...sorry to be a party pooper but gotta call it the way I see it....deflation isnt over by a longshot.

2-3 yrs from now, it will be unsafe to drive our cars in public unless you want a beatdown...think about why Brown won in MA and multiply by 10...
i know it will get worse and don't dispute but I hope you are WAY off on your thoughts. I've always thought the crime would get worse it has to but you are talking about something way worse. Lets try to be a little more optimistic.

The stock market is smoke and mirrors anyway. People dumping cash there need their heads examined. 1 Top money manager can swing any stock whichever way he pleases just by playing his cards. The only people truly making money there are the brokers. the rest are just getting played for others personal gains.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:00 PM
mdrobc13 is infamous around these parts
Wink

i know it will get worse and don't dispute but I hope you are WAY off on your thoughts. I've always thought the crime would get worse it has to but you are talking about something way worse. Lets try to be a little more optimistic.

The stock market is smoke and mirrors anyway. People dumping cash there need their heads examined. 1 Top money manager can swing any stock whichever way he pleases just by playing his cards. The only people truly making money there are the brokers. the rest are just getting played for others personal gains.
Yes I think it will get worse with commercial housing and the continuing residential housing depreciation unless the banks agree to start taking real losses instead of paying bonuses. However hopefully we're not at the Mad Max or Book of Eli point yet where its unsafe to travel the roads unarmed. In that situation I guess my issued M9 and M4 carbines will become my copilots then!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:04 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with with everything you say...the mkt is all smoke and mirrors but cracks are showing up this week...80% of the gains since March 09' low was on Mondays(futures run up on sunday night on very low volume)...hhmm...wonder who could be doing that?....

I was half kiddin about the beat down part but only half...remember last yr when all the BMW's were getting vandalized in Germany...we could see some of that here...I hope I am wrong about the severity of the public backlash but the people are waking up...when the govt backstops 12T in bailouts and about 700B goes to the public(in which 250B has been spent so far) and rest backstops the banks, eventually the people will find out whats going on....remember Henry Paulson saying the economy will blwo up if we dont pass the 700B stimulus asap yet we havent even spent 70% of it and we just saw a fake 5.4% GDP growth today haha.

People keep talking about inflation but that is a joke imho, the true money supply is coming down as banks hoard the money and credit is tightening and not expanding...have you seen yr over yr changes in consumer credit/debt?...shocking....not good for an economy that is 70% consumer spending....better drive the crap out of my Porsche now....

Old 01-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Just got $44K on trade from a dealer for my launch '05 997S. The car I purchased from them was nearly the lowest priced one out there with the options/mileage it had so the dealer did not "make up" any perceived excess trade allowance on the other end. As a matter of fact, I had two other verbals (sight unseen) on trade for $42-44K for the 997S.

While you may say that $44K is not a good deal and I could have gotten $47K on a private sale. It would have been a wash at $47K because I would have had to pay sales tax of nearly $3K on the car I purchased with no trade.

My point in posting this is that I believe used Pcar market is still bringing higher values than they did Sept-Dec '09.

Last edited by amerlemans; 01-31-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:12 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
After a brief check, there are now alot more 997 turbos in the 80 grand range, so who knows. There were a bunch of 07s made, many of which are most likely close to coming off lease, which may affect the resale adversely (which would be good for me).
-Getz

Old 02-07-2010, 01:27 AM
gordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the rough
"Nigerian Buy-Back"

Originally Posted by Sven
Auto Union: Query whether at the end of the 4 year warranty period a dealer would take in your car and resell it to you as a CPO with 2 year warranty, at some premium of course. You would have your car back that you've meticulously cared for.
Of course this is known in the biz as a "Nigerian Buy-Back"
Go for it!!
(the goods;live hard,sell hard)

Old 02-09-2010, 03:15 PM
lakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to beholdlakerholic is a splendid one to behold
Could agree with you more yrralis!

Bought my 06 Carrera S with 29k miles back in November of 2008 for $52k; sold it in December of 2009 with 34k miles (and took all my added goodies off the car and sold them separately) for $50k.

I had a well equipped mid-mileage car and had no problems selling it for the price I wanted.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Skylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I've definitely noticed this. I am looking for a used Porsche right now, and am a little frustrated. But I'm also not desperate and can wait for normal depreciation to do its thing.
Ken-

That car looks familliar- you really did like my Midnight Blue cab!

Good on you!

Cheers-
SD

Old 02-09-2010, 05:08 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Skylar's Dad
Ken-

That car looks familliar- you really did like my Midnight Blue cab!

Good on you!

Cheers-
SD
Thanks SD. Have to admit, each time I saw your car, I realized how much I like that color. I posted photos on another thread. Found it in Denver.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-cab-last.html

Old 02-09-2010, 06:48 PM
NeunElf is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by getz
Enjoy the car. It was still a bonehead financial decision if your income is as stated. And as a physician, I take meticulous care of my cars. You could of saved a ton of dough on a CPO, or better yet let your money roll in something that appreciates. My two cents, for what it's worth.
-Getz
What the hell does being a physician have to do with how you take care of your car?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:51 PM
NeunElf is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mact3333

You sound like Lars Larson's buddy!

Keep repeating these predictions often enough and it will eventually come true, just like a broken clock is right twice a day!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why Are Used Porsche Prices Going Up So Fast??