997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Durametric for Coding - Any experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:31 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
That WAS the only difference until they released the 6.0 beta. At that point the enthusiast and the pro versions became much different.

I think they were offering an upgrade but it's still alot of coin and not 100% functional (although I'm assured that they're adding features with every update)

Old 02-03-2010, 04:34 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Cattman
If I understand correctly, the Pro version of Durametric is required, and must have the 6.0 beta on it, right? That Enthusiast kit won't allow the same level of coding? If so, that sucks, as the Durametric site led me to believe that the only difference between the Pro and Enthusiast is the # of VIN's it can work on.

Any info is appreciated!
CATTMAN
I thought the same thing when i bought mine, but i just went back and there's a '*' beside the comment that says "all of the great features of our professional kit, but will only work on up to 3 cars (managed by VIN)"

If that * was there before i never noticed it, seems new, but i've missed more obvious thing in my life before. Here's what it notes;

* Beginning with Durametric version 6, differences between the Enthusiast and Professional kits include:
Number of supported cars (Enthusiast kit limited to 3 cars based on VIN, no limit on Pro kit)
Control unit Coding feature (not included in Enthusiast kit)
Control unit Command Console feature (not included in Enthusiast kit)

Old 02-03-2010, 04:41 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
In their defense, when you look at the version history of the software, revision 6.0.0 Beta states:

Coding on many modules (professional version only), some examples of things that can be coded are:
  • Added or removing control modules from the car. For example, disabling TPM, or PASM.
  • Recoding of airbag to allow racing seats to be installed and not trigger an airbag light.
  • Activating day time running lights.
  • Adjusting the behavior of each key.
  • And much more...

Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 PM
schwartzwest is on a distinguished road
Is there any comprehensive list of exactly what can be coded with the Pro version? On their website I only see list of control modules, but no list of specific functions. I have downloaded and looked through the instructions, but can't really ge any more insight there either.

Thanks.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by bbywu
In their defense, when you look at the version history of the software, revision 6.0.0 Beta states:

Coding on many modules (professional version only), some examples of things that can be coded are:
  • Added or removing control modules from the car. For example, disabling TPM, or PASM.
  • Recoding of airbag to allow racing seats to be installed and not trigger an airbag light.
  • Activating day time running lights.
  • Adjusting the behavior of each key.
  • And much more...
Well that means my enthusiast version is going back. I'm not paying that price for a crippled version, nor that insane price for what i need.. I'm not a shop... just a person who wants to configure and set the parameters on his own friggen car.

For that price difference ($287 -> $675), I'll just pay the dealer $100 to reset the service light every 2 years. That will buy me, what 16 years of car use before the Durametric would pay for itself?

The ability to set and activate modules and code other things is not worth an additional $400 cost.

Last edited by Minok; 02-04-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:53 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
I suppose you're right but up until version 6, you couldn't change modules and the price was the same.

If all you bought it for then was to reset service lights then you still have that ability. Don't forget about CELs and checking/clearing all codes and checking overrevs.

Yadda yadda yadda. I bought the pro cable to rent out my services.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:29 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Minok
Well that means my enthusiast version is going back. I'm not paying that price for a crippled version, nor that insane price for what i need.. I'm not a shop... just a person who wants to configure and set the parameters on his own friggen car.

For that price difference ($287 -> $675), I'll just pay the dealer $100 to reset the service light every 2 years. That will buy me, what 16 years of car use before the Durametric would pay for itself?

The ability to set and activate modules and code other things is not worth an additional $400 cost.
Believe me, I understand your frustration.

To me, what IS worth the difference, is the ability to shut off the seatbelt warning chime, airbag warning if you swap to racing seats with no airbag, the ability to shut off PASM if I go to Motons. All of these things I can do on my own. The two dealerships in my area refuse to do them for liability reasons.

bob

Old 02-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I may send my Enthusiast kit back, too, for I feel I was taken advantage of a bit. They ought to add the same functionality, limited to 3 VINs, that would be ideal.

If I buy the Pro cable, I'll be able to be extremely generous, send it around to friends here, etc. We'll see, I am going to talk to Owen at Durametric tomorrow.
CATTMAN

Old 02-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
You can buy the pro cable that is just the OBD2 connector to USB. But I don't need unlimited cars.. I'm fine with the company limiting it to only work on my cars.. but I expect it to allow me to do all of the things software settings allow you to do. Crippleware isn't something I'm willing to pay that much money for.

For my VW/Audio setup, the cable gives me full VAG-COM functionality and it cost me under $200 (several years ago). Granted, its likely vag.com sells way more of their licenses than durametrics does, because of the numbers of cars on the road... so I can understand the price can be higher for the 911 stuff... but that doesn't change the basic customer/price question of "how much is this functionality worth to me".

While this car is under warranty, any error codes will be diagnosed and cleared by the dealership anyway, so that isn't a feature I really need. My main need is to properly set the service reminder.. which Durametric 6 cannot do (it only resets it to the full 2 year/20k miles.. no way to set it to a specific interval, or to 1 year/10k).

My expectation is, for $200+, I should be able to do whatever is possible in the software settings for my personal cars. If I have to pay $700 for that ability, I'm not inclined to have this abilty at this time... Maybe in 4 years I'll reconsider... and just ignore the service reminder when it comes on... or ask the dealer to shut the useless service reminder totally off.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:41 PM
OC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant future
this could pay for itself if with the pro version and unlimited vins. One person in your area could buy it and have other folks come to him and chip in a few buck to set up their car..

Old 03-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Luzy_V8 will become famous soon enough
This week I bought the DM professional cable and I already played with it.
1.) cleared all the fault codes in order to get the PSE working through the SPORT button (I retrofitted the PSE a couple month ago including the electronic activation). WOW !! I didn't expect THAT hell of a sound !!
2.) turned off the seat belt chimes
3.) changed side markers to flash lights

BUT, I wasn't succesfull regarding the following features:
4.) Sport chronometer to remain lit in standby
5.) activate the multifunction steering buttons (I retrofitted the MF buttons myself)

@Schwabe
in another thread you mentioned regarding the chrono illumination to use ".....CU = Chronometer ==> Coding => Illumination => There are two options....".
Surprisingly the Durametric menue does not show any coding in the Chronometer section. Could it be that it is only possible thru PIWIS ?

@all
does anybody know if the MF buttons can be activated with the Durametric ? I found in the Gateway section the according selection point (see photo), but so far the MF does not work.

Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, I thought that the only difference was the car limit as well. So I bought one and was quite disappointed to find that it had significantly deprecated functionality. Quite expensive for a handy but quite limited product. Wouldn't have done it had I known, and wouldn't do it again.

Originally Posted by Cattman
If I understand correctly, the Pro version of Durametric is required, and must have the 6.0 beta on it, right? That Enthusiast kit won't allow the same level of coding? If so, that sucks, as the Durametric site led me to believe that the only difference between the Pro and Enthusiast is the # of VIN's it can work on.

Any info is appreciated!
CATTMAN

Old 03-13-2010, 09:23 PM
The software isn't 100% functional enabling modules. The sports chronology staying lit is one such module that can't be activated.

I had to have the dealer set my windows to open/close with key fob. Supposedly, durametric will come out with more updates to enable more modules to be accessed.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:12 AM
gordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the rough
Dura- no

I too was going to buy the enthusiast version, but I checked postings on 6speed and found out that there is a lot more of a difference than just the limited number of vehicles it works on. So I did not order it. I found the information on their website to be quite misleading IMO.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:19 AM
dma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Luzy_V8
@all
does anybody know if the MF buttons can be activated with the Durametric ? I found in the Gateway section the according selection point (see photo), but so far the MF does not work.

Thanks.
This was why I was going to buy pro, anyone know?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Durametric for Coding - Any experience?