997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Black on black on black...too much black?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:24 PM
searayray is on a distinguished road
Black on black on black...too much black?

This is the one I'm looking at... I think the black rims do the car no justice. I think the contrast is important. What do you guys think?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Old 01-28-2010, 05:39 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
Originally Posted by searayray
This is the one I'm looking at... I think the black rims do the car no justice. I think the contrast is important. What do you guys think?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
Blacks rims seem to be an epidemic on this forum I personally think you loose detail, and it reminds me of junkers that drive around with missing hub caps exposing their steel wheels...

..but I am clearly in the minority.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:40 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Polished lip on the wheels helps but never been a fan of black wheels (as you lose all the detail) and REALLY not a fan on a black car (white, silver, red maybe). I went brushed for my wheels and couldn't be happier.

BTW, as mentioned in your other post on this car, WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY overpriced for this car.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:41 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
I am also NOT a huge fan of the black wheels,which is why I did Gold DPE wheels.....something a bit different!

Stacy

Old 01-28-2010, 05:53 PM
p-cardriver will become famous soon enough
I have a black 997S and I'm about to have my track wheels powder coated black just to make the upkeep easier - but it also will give me a good sense of how this would look if I did the street wheels, too. I don't mind the "stealth" look but I also like the "pop!" of brighter wheels (But NOT chrome!).

Viva la difference!

Old 01-28-2010, 06:43 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I'm also in the 'minority' in terms of the black accents. I have a black 997.2S, and have no interest in adding any additional black to the exterior of the car (wheels, tips, etc).

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If it's your car, and you like black wheels, why not?!?! For me , the contrast of silver/polished is perfect for a black car. You have no idea how many times I've questioned my choice of exterior color.

All that matters is that you turn the key, hit the accelerator and SMILE...

Old 01-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Black is the best color when it comes to cars, coffee and women. You know what they say, once you go black . . . j/k

Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
i like....

Old 01-28-2010, 08:15 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
I like the black of course I'm biased as long as the wheels have the silver rim to separate as mine do. Without the lip, then it's too plain. We're all different in terms of taste that's for sure, but I only buy black cars, but I have had BMWs and now this Porsche. I can see other colors for certain vehicles. If I bought a Ferrari, it would probably be red, but I would never buy a red car unless it was Italian.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 01-28-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:21 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I like it, I say go for it!

Black wheels make the car look aggressive and menacing!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Black rims are personal taste (not my style). I looked at the price range and expanded your search to 200 miles radius.

Everyone's taste is different but this car kinda grabbed my attention. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Last edited by yrralis1; 01-28-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:50 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I don't care for the black wheel thing either, and since you asked, seems like your conviction is also low. But if the car was otherwise what I wanted and the deal was good (that one doesn't seem so good as listed), then I would not let blk wheels get it the way - that car does look pretty cool too and the wheels are not so bad - certainly unique.

Lame presentation though with the rear vent up, faux wing style, and how does that keyless entry work - must be after market or generic ad copy and not an actual feature.

Seems like it should be 85-90ish rather than in the mid 90s, but production has been cut and I guess even the supply of '09s is finally drying up. So the deals of a lifetime of last year may also be fading. That said, it is pre-owned and now last years model no matter how you cut it.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:19 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
I normally don't care much about the factory wheels, but these certainly add some flavor to it! I am not usually a fan of black, but I like it! Looks mean & aggressive as NorthVan said...

If you get tired of these wheels, you can always get them painted to Charcoal or Titanium to add some more color

Old 01-29-2010, 01:17 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
Black is the best color when it comes to cars, coffee and women. You know what they say, once you go black . . . j/k
My high school was 90% black.

Darker the fruit - the sweeter the juice!

Perhaps that explains why I went with black exterior/interior and wheelsl

Old 01-29-2010, 05:12 AM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
A red pinstripe around the edge would make that look much better...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black on black on black...too much black?