997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What's the longest road trip you have done?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:17 AM
larrytrk will become famous soon enough
Boston to Miami, last summer in my 06S after Boston to Denver in my 87 Westy Camper.
Waiting to go back to LA, Santa Fe in my 09S, this Summer!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:17 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Longest trip on the C4S is approx 450 miles and the C2S cab ~ 250 miles.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
with my previous 08 S, I did nyc to chicago ( in the first month of ownership), just had to step on the gas for a while, lol, that was 820 miles, easy and comfy... with the turbo I am hoping to get from nyc to miami some time in the spring, hang there for a few weeks then drive back, but we'll see if the wife is down for that

Old 02-11-2010, 10:35 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
NYC to New Orleans and back...

Old 02-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Sven has a spectacular aura aboutSven has a spectacular aura about
Chicago to L.A., etc.

Over the years have done the drive from L.A. to Vermont many times in other cars, but not sure wise to do it in my 997S with Calif plates until the economy improves.

Previously: start of summer break in college, drove from Chicago to L.A. in my 914 2.0 with a buddy. We were going through Red Rock Cyn at 90 mph, he was relieving himself with the aid of a beer bottle (this was 1982 and we were 20), when a highway patrol cruiser caught up to us. Best I could do was to pull over slowly so he could get his act together, and got nothing more than ordinary speeding ticket.

Sheffield, England through Paris over the Pyrenees and back to Sheffield on BMW motorbike. Girlfriend wimped out so from South of France to Paris on return we put the bike on a train.

Circular route from Berlin to Italy to France to Amsterdam back to Berlin in BMW 318.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:28 AM
amylynn is on a distinguished road
Once drove with my college roomies from New England to Boca Raton for a vacation. It took about 2 days each way with some stops.

The longest trip in a sporty car was from Scarsdale to Richmond in my husbands Ferrari. Twice, we had a service issue along the way. We both still find it amusing that his $zillion car is best kept in the garage.

Longest trip in my car was about 500 miles RT (filled up twice). It was a sunny day, our top was down and I took my girlfriend with me. Lots of comments - almost so many that the whistles and hoots were predictable at different stop lights.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:29 AM
larrytrk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dinorocz
with my previous 08 S, I did nyc to chicago ( in the first month of ownership), just had to step on the gas for a while, lol, that was 820 miles, easy and comfy... with the turbo I am hoping to get from nyc to miami some time in the spring, hang there for a few weeks then drive back, but we'll see if the wife is down for that
A fun ride Danny, watch out for the fuzz down south!!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:06 PM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by larrytrk
A fun ride Danny, watch out for the fuzz down south!!

oh yea, that reminds me, when I picked up my new turbo recently I flew down to N. Carolina and drove back up (approx 500 miles) that was fun as well.

The state of Virginia has the most highway cops I have ever seen, your are correct Larry, lots of cops

Old 02-11-2010, 01:59 PM
vexed is on a distinguished road
Living on an island there is only so far we can go

When I lived on the East Coast I did LA-Boston, DC to NO twice for Mardi Gras (the trip back is no fun after staying up for 3 days), DC to Miami, and when I moved out here DC to LA to ship my car.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:48 PM
FI Flyer is on a distinguished road
Longest trip in Porsche (2006 Cayman S): NYC -> SFO -> NY (LI)

Longest trip (2009 Subaru Outback): SFO -> Palm Beach -> NYC

I also drove the Subaru out to SFO from NYC last fall and left it there. Happily, my daughter -- whose car it is -- moved back to NYC and I drove the Subaru back last month. [See my blog of the trip at figgyii.blogspot.com]

Old 02-12-2010, 09:04 AM
leneuromancer has a spectacular aura aboutleneuromancer has a spectacular aura about
last years trip TX => FL => TX

first pic is the FL => TX return trip, with the other being the total trip

Attached Images   
Old 02-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
The longest trip I've done in my 997S was just short of 3000 miles from Manchester, England down to France, around France and back to Manchester. The longest day's drive was 760 miles from Lyon, France to Manchester, England on the way home (including a trip through the Eurotunnel under the English Channel).

Central France has some of the best driving roads anywhere - tight mountain roads with sheer drops and no barriers; really scary when taken at 9/10ths or more whilst running with a very competitive group! Plus plenty of long winding, extremely fast, empty roads between the towns - 170mph + several times. Also some great scenery - my pic is my car under the Millau bridge - the world's tallest road bridge by all accounts.

Did the car survive? - Well sort of, once I'd replaced about half of it! The remedial work ran to: new discs & pads all round, new shocks (the original PASMs were completely fooked all round) strut tops (front) track control arms (rear) new alternator (bearings went) new water pump (seals went) yet another RMS (don't they always) 4 new tyres (yes I got through over 75% of a set of brand new Pirellis in 3000 miles - both fronts and rears - ouch) new plugs, new fill of oil (we'd seen oil temps over 130 degrees C through the mountains - literally cooked a whole sump full) new coolant, new belt and a replacement main charge lead from the generator to the battery. Oh, yes and both pre-cat lambdas needed changing too. Phew! - Expensive bloody trip, but the car's now better than ever. B16 damptronics all round, lowered, PS2s all round and an engine that's running like a dream!

Can't wait for the next one....

Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 AM
SKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to all
Longest P car trip was in 1982 when I picked up my first Porsche in Dallas. It was a black "wide body" first year for that car and had the turbo body, brakes and was lowered to European specs. Drove it back to Minnesota, 1020 miles.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:23 AM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Enjoy:

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/Features...late=domWheels

Sadly I can't find the next two parts but the articles appeared in the subsequent printed editions and they completed the trip without drama. In good .2 style they did use a bit of oil though......

Porsche Australia also sent a couple of Panamera's around for the launch:

http://www.rightrounddownunder.com/home.html

2000km+ road trips are pretty common in Australia and many people do the round the island trip in their SUV's or RV's, particularly in retirement. Personally I've done Melbourne to Brisbane and back 5 times, including once there and back in 5 days. It's only a 3400km roud trip though so not a big deal.

Last edited by aggie57; 02-12-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:05 AM
BoxsterG is on a distinguished road
Late yesterday as a Valentine getway, I found a hotel in New Orleans for the Mardi Gras last minute so my wife and I took the 09 997 S over from Houston. She commented that she felt very compfortable riding in this car if decide to go to California this summer. I guess I now have to start planning a trip to the wine Country soon.
I made this trip to New Orleans last summer in my Boxster S but is was short because we stopped overnight with freinds and moved on quickly.

Last edited by BoxsterG; 02-13-2010 at 09:12 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the longest road trip you have done?