997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What's the longest road trip you have done?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:04 PM
msgm1 is on a distinguished road
What's the longest road trip you have done?

What's the longest road trip you have done? Anyone done coast to coast in their 911?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:14 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I don't do long trips in the Porsche. Florida is too flat and I am too neurotic to park my car in a hotel .

The idea of doing a trip like this sounds amazing though. (takes time for pictures to load) https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...oad-trips.html

Old 02-10-2010, 10:42 PM
mr 2rbo has a spectacular aura aboutmr 2rbo has a spectacular aura about
i did a 6km+ roadtrip in europe with a c180 wagon kompressor :-p lol. heres the general trip granted there was a lot of backroads involved. for a comparison, it was around 3700 miles which would be like driving from new york to florida to california

Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
ATL to Nassau Coliseum, Long Island to see the Pink Floyd do The Wall and back - kind of a blur The car was...a friend's...Dodge Charger or maybe an old Buick - definite blur.

From Seattle all the way around the Olympic Mountains, starting northwest, then to the coast to watch the sunset and back via Tacoma in a day - all day, arriving back at midnight - in a rental SUV - I reckon we had unlimited mileage - probably 300+.

ATL to New Orleans and back in a rental - I don't recall what car. Also a bit of a blur.

ATL to Philly and back in my e39 M5 - that was fun.

Longest 911 run has been a couple of 250 milers and back. But I'm itching to do something longer - a Blue Ridge Parkway run from here to Virginia would be awesome.

Coast to coast would be something else. But I don't know that the 911 would be my weapon of choice on that one. Might want something a bit more rugged - just in case I want to go on some dodgy roads.

Last edited by stevepow; 02-10-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 PM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
longest road trip...............

I think original post meant "in your 911" but, since the answers mostly strayed......................NY to Sturgis, SD in '95 and '98, in a van w/ 2 friends, trailering 3 Harleys...............1800 miles in 36 hours, non stop!

As long as the drive there was, the return seemed twice as long!

Beautiful biking in the Black Hills and Wyoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-10-2010, 11:26 PM
mr 2rbo has a spectacular aura aboutmr 2rbo has a spectacular aura about
lol well we might as well make it a longest roadtrip "all cars welcome" lol

Old 02-10-2010, 11:41 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I took a 3000 mile road trip in my 07 Targa 4S in the summer of 2008, driving from LA to Vancouver and back. I found it was a great way to bond with the car. The car was very comfortable, and of course handled wonderfully. The only negative was while driving through Oregon on Interstate 5, the asphalt surface was very course through most of the state, so the road noise was very loud and somewhat bothersome after many hours of driving. I took the return trip on Highway 97 through eastern Washington and Oregon, then cut back over to I-5 at Stockton. My longest leg was from Bend Oregon to Orange County in one day, about 950 miles, many of which were off freeway, and included mountain highways. My radar detector saved me numerous times in Washington State, especially in the mountains while heading east from Everett on Highway 2 over to 97.

I hope to do it again in a year or 2 in my cab, but will likely get a hard top to keep the noise level down, thus reducing fatigue.

Here is a photo taken on the way south, on the Washington side of the Columbia River gorge.

Attached Images  

Last edited by keninirvine; 02-10-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
When I was 20 I went from Augusta,GA to Denver,CO in 24 hours. That was interesting doing 1500mi in a smidge over 20hrs with a 4hr nap halfway through.

Every car that I have ever purchased has been more than 500miles away. There is nothing more amazing than getting to know a new car on a longer trip home from picking it up. I still remember getting my 3000gt in Florida and driving it home. It was one of the most memorable moments of my life. It was my first sports car, and driving the smile was huge that it brough knowing that it was mine. I found the most amazing straight on the interstate and floored it. It was a rush that has been rivaled by very few moments in my life.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:30 AM
p-cardriver will become famous soon enough
Longest total miles is Los Angeles to Hanover, NH. Three times. Plymouth Champ!
Longest stint was Evanston, WY to the burbs of Chicago solo. Seems like that took 23 hours or so. BMW 740i

Longest p-car trip so far is Detroit to the Smokey Mtns of eastern Tenn. Thinking about a trip to the FL Keys or So. Cal. Craving a road trip...

Old 02-11-2010, 05:00 AM
C2Spin will become famous soon enough
Since my C2S is new, I can say a whopping 50 miles is the longest in a P-Car

However, in a non-P-Car, the longest one day ride(s) is about 13 hours: Baltimore,MD-Nashville,TN (mini van rental); Baltimore,MD-Waterville Valley,NH (mini-van rental); Tucson,AZ-Durango,CO (Sebring vert); and 3,000 miles total all in CA (North-South; East-West) on a 2 week road trip back in '84 (in a '83 Buick rental). Wow, that was a loooong time ago.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:18 AM
doug2255 has a spectacular aura aboutdoug2255 has a spectacular aura about
My longest PCar trip was in my 03 996 C2 form here in Bel Air, MD to Stone Mountain , Ga - just outside of Atlanta and back to Bel Air.

The only unplanned stop was on the way back to have a little chat with a state law enforcement officer, he was even so kind as to give me a ticket to remember him by!

I plan on doing the same trip, without the unplanned stop, in my new 09 997 C2S Cab.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:49 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
My 99 C2 is a very comfortable car to take long trips in. It has been to Boston, LA, Florida and most places in between. Most of my driving trips are nonstop. Chicago to Vegas is 1800 miles and 22 hours. Miami is only 1400 miles and takes around 19 hours. Mid March, I’ll be driving to DC which is just a short 10 hour drive from Chicago.
I prefer driving. I already have more than 2,500,000 miles behind me with more to come.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:03 AM
BoxsterG is on a distinguished road
My longest trip in a P-car was May 09 when I took my BoxsterS from Houston to Key West. We were in no rush so we stopped to visit friends in New Orleans overnight and then on the Orlando. I thought it would eventually become uncomfortable but it actually was not bad at all. I was between 911's at the time and without one so the Boxster was my only P-CAR option at the time. My wife loved it far better than I could imagine and that made the trip so much better. The car ran great and we even picked up some company along the way on the turnpike. We were able to open them up a little bit when lanes were clear.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by msgm1
What's the longest road trip you have done? Anyone done coast to coast in their 911?
Not in 911 but in my lexus I drove non stop from st louis to boston, actually, I did it twice, first time when I moved there, then when I moved back.
23 somewhat hours non stop, just stopping for gas and to splash some water on face.
in 997 my wife and I drove across new hampshire in fall looking at foliage, 10 or so total hours for a day trip.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:45 AM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Last year, I drove from Florida to Niagara Falls, then headed east to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, down to New York City thru Albany, then went westward to New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virgina, and back to Florida in 7 days!

All in a rental Maxima

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the longest road trip you have done?