997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

AWE cats check engine light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 07:35 PM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
AWE cats check engine light

I've had my AWE cats for almost 2 years now and they have been acting up a little lately. I've had the check engine light come up every few months since I installed them which is no big deal because I have a reader and I just delete the code. Lately, though, the light has been going on about every two weeks and it seems to get worse and worse. What would be the reason for this? I read about some people using spark plug non foulers to get it to stop? Anyone been having this problem lately? I have the new style cats (HJS) btw.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:40 PM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
fixed mine with spark plug non foulers. worked great. also bought some extensions from here:

http://yhst-1918367471896.stores.yahoo.net/oxsesp.html

never used them but they look nice and the L shape may help with the existing cable length...

Old 02-15-2010, 05:21 AM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
How is the cable situation? Did you need to do anything to lengthen it or was it just a little tight?

Old 02-15-2010, 05:42 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CayenneS2083
I've had my AWE cats for almost 2 years now and they have been acting up a little lately. I've had the check engine light come up every few months since I installed them which is no big deal because I have a reader and I just delete the code. Lately, though, the light has been going on about every two weeks and it seems to get worse and worse. What would be the reason for this? I read about some people using spark plug non foulers to get it to stop? Anyone been having this problem lately? I have the new style cats (HJS) btw.
I've had a full AWE system (with the HJS cats) on my 7S for 27000 miles now with no CELs whatsoever. AWE's cats are more than efficient enough not to throw CELs or need tubes to fool the post cat lambdas in normal operation.

What's more likely, if you're getting CELs and it's getting progressively worse, is that either your MAF sensor or one-or-more of your lambdas is either faulty or going out of calibration. I'd have the car checked over by a dealer/tuner with the proper PIWIS kit - an experienced operative will find this for you and the offending component(s) can be replaced.

The one thing I'll guarantee is that your car will run a whole lot better once this is resolved. I had a new MAF and both pre-cat lambdas replaced on my car some time back. My car just wasn't 'right' and a full PIWIS test at my local tuner found all 3 sensors were at the edge of allowable tolerance. The difference in the way the car ran after replacement was incredible. It just pulled far harder all the way through the rpm range. (And that was the result of replacing sensors that a cursory check would have confirmed as perfectly OK - they'd never got bad enough to throw a CEL before replacement).

I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:13 AM
According to my reader I get the code for the cats, could it still be the MAF? I guess I need to find a tuner because my dealer would surely blame it on the cats causing any problems. I have read a lot about people getting CELs every once in a while with hi flow cats, though.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:19 AM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
How is the cable situation? Did you need to do anything to lengthen it or was it just a little tight?
cables were tight but workable. i seem to remember one side being tighter than the other, no problem in the end though..

Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Having had a problem with CEL's after installing a Fabspeed X-pipe, I would recommend you check and retighten all of the fittings along the run from headers to tips. In my case, it turned out that I had a loose bolt connecting the header to the cat which I ultimately found by running the car and checking for pressure leaks with my hands and a small piece of paper which is quite sensitive to pressure pulses.
It's also quite possible that you have a MAF problem, but this is easy to check, and free to fix (if you don't mind getting under the car and getting in to some odd positions to wrench all of the fittings). BTW, be careful on the header bolts (should you try to check them). I believe they are to be torque'd no more than 17 ft/lbs.
GL

Old 02-16-2010, 11:50 AM
dndodd is on a distinguished road
The Last time I had an CEL I did the ECU reset by disconnecting the battery for 3 hours. No problems since.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:13 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Like Verde has stated, check for an exhaust leak at the cat muffler junction. It will come up as a misfire most likely. Try tightening the clamp on both sides.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Ricardo Canada is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem with my AWE cats. My installer contacted AWE and they provided some 02 sensor extensions that solved the problem. AWE stands behind their product so it's worth giving them a call.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:45 PM
I love the AWE cats I'm just trying to figure out if something is wrong with either the cats or the car (02 sensors, MAF, etc.) I dont think it could be lose fitings because I'm getting the code for the catalytic converter efficiency. I am actually getting the codes for both, P0430 and P0420. Does anyone recommend a shop in Miami with a PIWIS tester that can test for faulty sensors?

Old 02-17-2010, 02:09 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
I love the AWE cats I'm just trying to figure out if something is wrong with either the cats or the car (02 sensors, MAF, etc.) I dont think it could be lose fitings because I'm getting the code for the catalytic converter efficiency. I am actually getting the codes for both, P0430 and P0420. Does anyone recommend a shop in Miami with a PIWIS tester that can test for faulty sensors?
I'd also speak to Todd at AWE about this. I've found AWE's customer care to be outstanding.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:47 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
i just had same issue last month took the car to the dealer and they deleted the code and been find since then

Old 02-17-2010, 05:35 PM
my codes always came back days or weeks after i reset them. if your car is running strong, i would just put the extenders on and be happy before i spent a bunch of energy chasing down other issues. Isn't it just standard troubleshooting practice to start with the simplest solution and see if that works first?

Old 05-13-2014, 05:49 PM
doc1911 will become famous soon enough
I know this is an old thread but I just ran into the same issue. I have an AWE complete exhaust and the CEL went on. The Durametric is saying P0430/P0420. I will have it checked by a mechanic and I'm talking to AWE.

If I driv here car before it all get fixed am I going to make things worse or really mess something up???? Or end up on the side of the road like an idiot?

Thanks