997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Input from non S model owners 997.1 edition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 05:26 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
I purchased a 2006 C4 vs. a C4S for several reasons; first, I could get a much better discount with the C4 vs. the C4S and Excellence magazine consistently called the 997.1 3.6L the "sweeter" engine vs. the 3.8L. I test drove both cars and couldn't notice the difference but I'm sure if I was more willing to floor the pedal I would have noticed some difference.

At this point, 4 years on, I'm in the process of upgrading to a TPC turbo, TPC swaybars and Bilstein coilovers. I didn't have any real need for these upgrades as the car was plenty quick already and handled great but I've always liked to tinker with things and for what I think is a moderate investment I'm getting a car with dramatically higher performance. I'm picking the car up next week in Maryland and driving it home to Massachusetts.

Now if Stacy gets off his butt, he'll quickly jump on the TPC turbo bandwagon too!

I'd look for your best deal, C2 or C2S are both great cars. Either way you'll be happy. Once you've driven it a while, and if you keep reading this forum, you may end up getting hooked on mods as I have!

Good luck!

Bob

Old 04-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Atxjaz is infamous around these parts
I've got a non-S 997.1. I've had her for 3 months now and I LOVE her!! No regrets about not going S. Just like the other posters have said, it puts a smile on my face everytime. The car is my DD, even with the 19" wheels.

Good luck! This forum is an amazing source of information.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:36 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Atxjaz
I

Good luck! This forum is an amazing source of information.
And an amazing place to spend money on MODS.....LOL!

To be honest,I have done a few projects in my time and without this forum I would have NEVER attempted them!

Stacy

Old 04-02-2010, 05:39 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MarathonBob

Now if Stacy gets off his butt, he'll quickly jump on the TPC turbo bandwagon too!

Bob
Are you working for TPC Bob!?

The G-tech is with Casey right now,waiting for your numbers.......

Stacy

Old 04-02-2010, 06:06 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by justatoy
Are you working for TPC Bob!?

The G-tech is with Casey right now,waiting for your numbers.......

Stacy
Hey Stacy,

I wish I were - maybe I'd get an employee discount! But seriously Stacy, you've gone too long without FI, you need some boost back in your life!

Wonder whether Casey's run with the G-tech yet? I have no issue if he wants to give it a go ... Either way, I'll be there on Tuesday or Wednesday this week and try to get er done!

Bob

Old 04-02-2010, 06:28 PM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
DD = How many Miles ?

I put in 38k miles in each year in varying East Coast areas; Manhattan to the Adirondacks. Therefore I cut the load in two: a3 3.2 w/ dual clutch and the c4 manual. I have to say I have never exploited the c4 (nor the a3's) full potential on public roads because driving to get somewhere is SO different then driving to wet your pants. That said : the great thing about the 'standard' Porsche engine is just the massive torque; I'm flying at 75 mph and just floor it in top gear and in the next 3 secs. I doing over 100 mph (really 110 to 120 depending on the terrain). Great joy flying around the miscellaneous jughandles and mountain turns !

I was driving along side a '08 S and he's looking just as I am at the beauty we both hold in our hands; I think he was trying to figure the '09 wheels on an '07; their the 18" snow wheels.

Any Carrera is simply a smile maker ! I realize many think they should store their 'puff' cars and limit the miles. No way do I agree. I saw many Carreras in Austria an Germany that owners truly use. Use it or loose it dudes.

GoFast to the Dealer in your TL and start a real chapter in your Life !

Old 04-02-2010, 07:23 PM
djlod is infamous around these parts
For my first 911, I thought a base carrera would be sufficient.
My 997 has exceeded my expectations.
A base carrera is definitely enough car for me.
It's plenty fast, handles really well, and I love the way it looks.
If money was no object, I would have gotten a turbo.
Who wouldn't want more options such as a larger engine, PASM, bigger (red) brakes, a smaller steering wheel, etc.
I definitely have no regrets on my base C2.
Perhaps in the future my next p car will be a "S."

Old 04-03-2010, 12:40 AM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
the carrera is an incredible car. i drove the base carrera at PSDS before i made the decision to buy a porsche. no regrets here.

compared to the models you are contemplating, it would be the clear choice for me to get a porsche. of course, i voted with my wallet, but had the alternative to get pretty much whatever car i wanted.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:08 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Question --If you sold the Acura to get the GtR does that mean that you would not need the space that the Acura provides ?

Using your choices given :
1) Z06 -fast car
2) GtR - fast car
Will you be happy with a base 997 ? I don't know.

You'll have two cars .. double insurance .. can only drive one at a time .. both face repairs .. and with a 50K limit I am almost leaning towards the GtR idea-- especially since you won't track it .

It won't drive like a Porsche 911 but it seems to find the complete satisfying of -
1) Speed
2) Handling
3) AWD (for snow)
4) weekend or DD
5) Cost to own

50K plus the TL would buy a new GtR. It could buy a used C4S but that's not on your list and the GtR has that faster than Z06 element of your post.

Drive all three --
Whichever you buy --good luck and update us regardless.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:12 AM
ara
ara is infamous around these parts
my acura is covered by warranty for a while, so i'm happy there. My thoughts originally when i bought the acura was that i would have a nice DD, and now i could use "example" 40-50 000$ to buy a much depreciated sports car, enjoy it for a season, dump it, rinse repeat each spring. I might do that still, don't know.

But at my new project, i always here this guy with a base c4 with lobsters just pass by, and the car just looks way too cool and classy, sounds amazing. And i see myself driving it A LOTTT

Now if i have a porsche, i feel (as i don't know) that maybe it's not hardcore enough of a sportscar to warrant having a seperate DD, if so, then i'd have to dump my TL, but then i'd lose a ton of cash as i paid 90% of the car's value upfront. Looking back, maybe it wasn't the smartest thing, but having a 200$ payment on a 50 000$ is nice

I drive about 30 000 km's a year, a bit less now that my new g/f lives less than a minute away (last one 50km round trip)

I've loved Z06's for ever, even the c5 gen, just a fun car.

GTR i love also, i would not buy new, here they are 100 000$ even used, as our market values are skewed.

In the US, i've seen asking prices of 58 000$, in which case i could dump the acura, plunk another 15 000$ cash, and finance the rest. feasable and i think i'd be very happy.

So you see, i have many many different ways of going about this, all of which end up in a good and fun car

Old 04-03-2010, 11:14 AM
ara
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Question --If you sold the Acura to get the GtR does that mean that you would not need the space that the Acura provides ?
honestly, i hardly have more than 1 passenger, i just bought the acura so i have a classy full of tech car for work, it's great and i love it. Even if i had the GTR, i can probably fit 1 person in the back, sideways, my g/f only 5'6 so she can go back there i think

is Autotrader the best resource for finding true values of these types of cars? or ebay?

Last edited by ara; 04-03-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:10 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Sell the Acura and look for a new '09 C4 with PDK. Snow tires on in the winter time and you've got a great four season ride.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:15 PM
ara
Originally Posted by JoeShark
Sell the Acura and look for a new '09 C4 with PDK. Snow tires on in the winter time and you've got a great four season ride.
that'll be way too expensive. if i keep budget around 60k i found a lot of cars i'd buy in the mid 40's on autotrader.

one thing for sure, is i want a porsche, and probably sell acura, get porsche, and find a nice muscle car for weekends.

gtr is hot, but honestly with the performance it has, it will be hard to beat it, so the next car will have to be something way more expensive in order to beat it.

if i get the porsche, i can move up performance wise, while not losing much money.

i like depreciation, as at any time i can dump the car and not lose much, in the real estate business, capitol is good to have quickly.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:21 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ara
Now my question to those who have the 997.1 non-S model, is this car too tame to be considered a "fun, weekend car" as i want a car that is still relatively quick, and fun to drive. I know it's not the fastest out there (13's and 10X) in the 1/4 mile. But i want a fun car, something that'll put a smile on my face, be relatively reliable, and be somewhat of a DD during the warmer months here in Montreal.

So in short, my main question is, is your car as fun as you thought it was, did it meet your expectations, did you wish you went with an S model?
Way you ask this question makes me believe you are not much into car engineering. If you need car for show - get C4S as it is most expensive one from regular lineup so it has to have most 'fun' factor, apparently.

Difference between 'S' and 'non-S' is mostly in the heads of 'S' car owners. If this questions bothers you already - get an 'S' car so you would not have to think about it.

Mine 'non-S' car in the end will have best components regular 'S' stock car has - better brakes from GT3, 150 more horses, better suspension and handling. None of that comes for free and yes it takes time and some dedication. So, to each his own. Stock 'S' car is not bad, but 997 platform allows it be made even better.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:43 PM
ara
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Way you ask this question makes me believe you are not much into car engineering. If you need car for show - get C4S as it is most expensive one from regular lineup so it has to have most 'fun' factor, apparently.

Difference between 'S' and 'non-S' is mostly in the heads of 'S' car owners. If this questions bothers you already - get an 'S' car so you would not have to think about it.

Mine 'non-S' car in the end will have best components regular 'S' stock car has - better brakes from GT3, 150 more horses, better suspension and handling. None of that comes for free and yes it takes time and some dedication. So, to each his own. Stock 'S' car is not bad, but 997 platform allows it be made even better.
i think you misread my post, i honestly don't care what others think, for me the main question is whether the performance of the base car for those who have one, and have driven the S variant, is sufficient, or better of getting an S.

I like a fast car, but the base car will still be the quickest car i have owned thus far. I would keep it stock, maybe just lower it and exhaust at most.

i would drive a classic 930 gen carrera, but i'm way too tall to be comfy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Input from non S model owners 997.1 edition