997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Input from non S model owners 997.1 edition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:12 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ara
k i shouldn't have made this thread, now i'm actually considering selling my car and either getting a 997 carrera, or an e92 m3.

going nuts here, anyone driven both? for a DD? back seats not too important, my gym bag will go there at most. The dollar is too good too pass up going stateside.

which car would you think would depreciate less, logic says the porsche, in which case i rather get. then i can sell it when done and get a more depreciated m3, then a gtr etc. As you can see i clearly like depreciation, just not when it happens to me
I have both . (09 C2S , 08 M3, 07 997tt) . The M3 is a practical car . It has comfort, speed, good handling, cheap to own (free maintenance), and has delivered 25K mile of total reliability. HOWEVER --it's boring !!!!! There is very little excitement with the car and sometimes I feel as though its a sophiticated Mustang with it's pumped up fenders and big bump on the hood. As a daily driver the M3 gets my vote . The only problem is you won't want to drive it every day but with a C2S you will.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-05-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:17 PM
911rookie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I have both . (09 C2S , 08 M3, 07 997tt) . The M3 is a practical car . It has comfort, speed, good handling, cheap to own (free maintenance), and has delivered 25K mile of total reliability. HOWEVER --it's boring !!!!! There is very little excitement with the car and sometimes I feel as though its a sophiticated Mustang with it's pumped up fenders and big bump on the hood. As a daily driver the M3 gets my vote . The only problem is you won't want to drive it every day but with a C2S you will.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Oakland_Stan has a spectacular aura aboutOakland_Stan has a spectacular aura aboutOakland_Stan has a spectacular aura about
I own a base 997 and I'm in agreement with other posters here that it is a great car -- Plenty fast, classy, reliable, and less expensive than other alternatives. I have done a number of upgrades to mine; headers, exhaust, intake, chip and the car is defiintely not slow. Not sure what you are after though. For your budget of 50k you should be able to get one easily with some money left over for mods.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:06 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ara
has the car been dead reliable? there is the inherent fear of impending doom with a non warranty car. is it your daily driver?
It's been reliable so far, I have only had it for 2 months. It's my daily driver and I have a full aftermarket warranty. Personally, I would not buy a car like this without a warranty.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:20 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gloves
If there is something better to be had i want it. cost does matter and better is subjective when it only 20hp or so.
Again I am not sure I understand what is it you are asking about.
All I am saying is that there are some ways to alter default curves on both 'S' and base cars if stock version is not what you like.
I also say that stock base car with no sport chrono option may seem to be dull and it is fixable.

Absolute gain of power from simple mods is an arguable thing but it is there. I did it to my car, I dynoed it in same shop and I have my results I trust. Do not really care what rest of the world may think about it... Supercharger or turbo will give even more. It is all up to the car`s owner what to do. Monetary expense is also a relative thing - you do it over time and spread it so it does not hurt much. If you have a spare $1-2K a month you`ll be fine.

Comparing WRX to 997 is not really working here, those are very different cars with completely different feel.

Last edited by utkinpol; 04-05-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:26 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
lol.. yup.. the only reasons i got the S was for the 'head trip' and the 'S' logo on the back...

back of GT3 or GTR?... either way, might be a fast way to make her an ex-gf..
I really wanted GT3 from the begining but what freaked me out was the info about replacement price of ne engine - my 3.6L is somewhat $14K if core is good, GT3 engine is $45K. I can swallow first one but second freaks me out frankly. Turbo is even worse. So, I have to merit my monetary reserves quite realisticly in this area. It does not mean that if someone can afford it it should not be done - why not.
For me I will do it el cheapo way - will put turbo kit on my '06 C2 and if I`ll be lucky enough hopefully I will get 20-30K miles out from it before it blows. Will see.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:47 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Again I am not sure I understand what is it you are asking about.
All I am saying is that there are some ways to alter default curves on both 'S' and base cars if stock version is not what you like.
I also say that stock base car with no sport chrono option may seem to be dull and it is fixable.

Absolute gain of power from simple mods is an arguable thing but it is there. I did it to my car, I dynoed it in same shop and I have my results I trust. Do not really care what rest of the world may think about it... Supercharger or turbo will give even more. It is all up to the car`s owner what to do. Monetary expense is also a relative thing - you do it over time and spread it so it does not hurt much. If you have a spare $1-2K a month you`ll be fine.

Comparing WRX to 997 is not really working here, those are very different cars with completely different feel.
one thing i dont know is what the sport chrono does on a manual. i understand that you spread things out, but when just the exhaust is 2500 its a lot to swallow. as for comparing the wrx to a 997, that was not my point. what i meant was that the wrx is a non S just like the sti is the S version. there is no way a wrx is a better car than the sti. i dont want to get a non S if the S is that much better.

best thing to do is to just drive them both, so thats the next step.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:07 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
one thing i dont know is what the sport chrono does on a manual
The sport chrono isn't just a gauge. It doesn't change horsepower or torque but it does offer a different throttle response and on the S it changes the PSM setting to "medium" as opposed to being either on or off

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-05-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:44 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ara
I would like your input as owners of these amazing cars on most aspects if you don't mind. I'm considering adding another car for fun, i have a new acura tl awd for a dd, and i have around 50k i'm willing to spend. I'm considering a z06, a 997 carrera, or maybe even selling the acura going for a gtr.
I've owned two TL's and bought Cindy an NSX when we retired. The dealer wrecked the NSX last Fall so we bought a Carrera. I would say the Carrera is as much fun as the NSX and that's saying something. We chose an S model, but I tried the straight Carreras as well and the difference wasn't performance, believe me. As someone else observed, you won't approach the capability of either model, even on track, unless you have serious race experience. Both of these are bloody fast cars.

Much as we loved that NSX, it was ten years old and the world has moved on. If it hadn't been cruelly murdered, it will still be great to own, but in th same sense that a Ferrari Lusso is still great after half a century.

Although I tracked my TL, you can't even speak of it in the same breath as an NSX or 911 for entertainment value. The Corvettes are very nice choices. We know a dealership owner and I looked at them as a courtesy when he knew we needed a new sports car. The price was certainly right and they handle well, but it just didn't feel the same as the Porsches we drove later in ways that were important to us. Didn't try a GTR. From the descriptions, things that bothered testers would have ruled it out for us completely.

Try a Porsche. I think you'll love it, but let your intuition rule when you're buying a fun car.

Gary

Old 04-05-2010, 06:22 PM
sticky4 has a spectacular aura aboutsticky4 has a spectacular aura aboutsticky4 has a spectacular aura about
i just bought a Targa 4 as my DD. And i live in MONTREAL... I've had a ton of cars, just sold my 08 Cayenne S for this small car, and yes i'll drive it in the winter..

Old 04-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by gloves
one thing i dont know is what the sport chrono does on a manual. i understand that you spread things out, but when just the exhaust is 2500 its a lot to swallow. as for comparing the wrx to a 997, that was not my point. what i meant was that the wrx is a non S just like the sti is the S version. there is no way a wrx is a better car than the sti. i dont want to get a non S if the S is that much better.

best thing to do is to just drive them both, so thats the next step.
No real reason here to discuss Porsche mods pricing strategy. Naturally it is same set of bended pipes as for WRX but what can you do. It is Porsche and its price tag comes along. If you do not like it - do not get into it. Ferrari is even pricier, but that`s life.

To work on Porsche is much easier than to work on any Japanese brand, BTW. German engineering is truly something wonderful in this regard.

As of WRX I do not like this car and do not like this brand, so, I cannot say anything good about it at all. Supra was a nice car with a lot of potential. Acura NSX was a nice car. WRX is a sewing machine on steroids, makes a lot of noise but not much torque. I`m just not a Subaru fan, nor Nissans. I just do not dig those cars.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Jetpilot3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sticky4
i just bought a Targa 4 as my DD. And i live in MONTREAL... I've had a ton of cars, just sold my 08 Cayenne S for this small car, and yes i'll drive it in the winter..
Exactly! Cars are meant to be driven!

Old 04-06-2010, 11:16 AM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
ara;2792697] "has the car been dead reliable? there is the inherent fear of impending doom with a non warranty car. is it your daily driver?"

My experience has shown the 997.1 to exemplary; 14k no issues. Yet I would NOT go without a warranty. DD means alotta mileage; I'll put 18k a year on mine. The Porsche technology is still advanced. This isn't a Nikon pro camera or a PDA/cellphone and sh_t happens. I wouldn't go 'used' without one. CPO adds some cost but covers so many possibilities.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:19 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ggmike
I think a 997 (any version) is the epitome of a 'fun weekend car'. It all comes down to how you define fun and what you plan on doing with it... To me, 'fun weekend car' is me putting the top down and having the wind in my hair. Going from a comfortable cruise to hanging the back end out with a flip of the wrist and stomp of the foot. Hitting the 'sport' button and feeling the instant throttle response. Or just having some kid yell out 'Nice Car!' as you drive down the road. Cops giving me a thumbs up. To me, that's a fun weekend car.

Sure, there are faster cars (I have the non-s) but this is plenty car for me to have a ton of fun in, and performance wise it'll take a while before I can honestly go to the track and say I was limited by the car.
+1 very well written. I agree 100%.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by utkinpol
No real reason here to discuss Porsche mods pricing strategy. Naturally it is same set of bended pipes as for WRX but what can you do. It is Porsche and its price tag comes along. If you do not like it - do not get into it. Ferrari is even pricier, but that`s life.

To work on Porsche is much easier than to work on any Japanese brand, BTW. German engineering is truly something wonderful in this regard.

As of WRX I do not like this car and do not like this brand, so, I cannot say anything good about it at all. Supra was a nice car with a lot of potential. Acura NSX was a nice car. WRX is a sewing machine on steroids, makes a lot of noise but not much torque. I`m just not a Subaru fan, nor Nissans. I just do not dig those cars.
again i don’t think you understand. i was simply pointing out that there are some of us who do not wish to throw on a turbo or a super charger to get the power we desire from a car. especially when it is a custom mod to an already expensive car. if the S takes care of the extra needs, that in my eyes is a better choice. for some people stock will never be enough, and i can understand that and have done mods before.

i am not sure what there is to dislike about subaru so much. they make a spot on AWD system, are great in all weather application, have a car for every need...not much to dislike. if it is the design i can see that as that is all subjective. your supra was a celica on steroids, the NSX was a great budget supercar and not even in the same category as either the WRX or the supra. and to that i am not sure how an STI that makes 300hp and 300tq stock (more than a C2 torque stock) does make much torque. i am not sure you have the impression about the WRX or more so the STI.

i was not trying to say they are anything like a P-car. all it was, was is the C2 to C2S what the WRX is to the STI? people say "oh you don’t need the extra blah blah blah, that the STI has so the WRX is fine." well i have had both and trust me just because you cant hit the STI limits as a DD it is better, in every way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Input from non S model owners 997.1 edition