997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Age of Michelin PS2's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:19 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Age of Michelin PS2's

Anyone know if these tires have an 'expiration' date? I have a Michelin PS2 tire that is brand new, never used with a manufacture date of June 2006. As long as I'm keeping it in dry temp-controlled storage out of the sun, can I wait a couple of more years until I use it?

Also, anyone know how long Michelin will keep the PS2 in production?

Old 04-16-2010, 08:40 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i think typically tires are good for 5-6 yrs. not sure how that works if you never use it. are they wrapped? i think they are typically coated with some protective coat.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:45 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Rubber will harden over time and lose it's elastic properties. I wouldn't have tires on my car older then 5 years regarless of how it has been stored. You may want to sell them or install them and use them.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 PM
ls03od is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JTaylorGT
Anyone know if these tires have an 'expiration' date? I have a Michelin PS2 tire that is brand new, never used with a manufacture date of June 2006. As long as I'm keeping it in dry temp-controlled storage out of the sun, can I wait a couple of more years until I use it?

Also, anyone know how long Michelin will keep the PS2 in production?
From your post, it sounds as if you only have one tire. Is that correct? If so, do you plan on just changing one tire when needed or will you by another to change them as pairs? It's not recommended to only change one tire. You should change them as pairs (ie. both fronts and/or both rears). If you are keeping the one and will buy the other when the need arises, I wouldn't recommend it since the tires will have significantly different manufacture dates. The old one may have deteriorated relative to the new one and they could possibly wear differently or cause a vibration. If you only have one, I'd recommend you sell it and just buy them when needed, as pairs.

If you have tires in pairs then disregard what I just said

Last edited by ls03od; 04-16-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:49 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
+ 1 on change in pairs and change tires every 5 yrs irrespective of mileage.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:51 AM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Thanks guys, yes this is just one tire - kinda a long story as to how I ended up with it but it's brand new taken off an '07 C2S that has been off the car and in storage ever since. I thought I would use it very soon, but just bought a new set of wheels/tires altogether so don't need it right now.

I was hoping I could hold onto it and use it when I need it, but that could be a couple of years, so I see your point about mounting an 2006 tire on the same axle as say a 2012 tire. Not to mention Michelin could discontinue or change the design of the PS2...if I were buying another new tire today, it would probably be manufactured in 2009 which is not a bad difference. Of course, some of you may say that's even too much.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:24 AM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
Sell it on E-bay?