997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Haters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:01 AM
REBor8 is on a distinguished road
I've encountered hundreds of "thumbs-up" and big smiles in my travels along with happy curiosity and envious questioning. However, once last summer in Alabama, I was passed by a pick-up on the interstate and received the “one-finger-salute”. I'm pretty sure it wasn't directed at the car, but more a reference to my economic status in these lean times when they are lucky to have four tires that hold air.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:38 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by REBor8
I've encountered hundreds of "thumbs-up" and big smiles in my travels along with happy curiosity and envious questioning. However, once last summer in Alabama, I was passed by a pick-up on the interstate and received the “one-finger-salute”. I'm pretty sure it wasn't directed at the car, but more a reference to my economic status in these lean times when they are lucky to have four tires that hold air.
Oh Lord. I was in Louisville last weekend on I-65 and nearly got sideswiped by a beat-up Corolla with 4 guys in it that thought they were being funny. I threw up my arms like "wtf are you doing" and they deserved a beating with a Jack Nicholson 5-iron.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:13 PM
akim47 will become famous soon enoughakim47 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cfos
Glad to hear you just walked away. I have a similar issue:

I mean, it's kinda like when a Laker slaps a wrist it is a blocked shot and when a Jazz player does it it is a foul. What's up with that? Refs are hatin' on the Jazz. I guess it is because they are small market and David Stern wants to see Lakers/Caveliers in order to generate the greatest revenue, but he shouldn't be hatin' on the Jazz... but I digress.

if I may chime in... OR... it could be that the Laker big men totally DOMINATED inside the paint, Deron Williams shot about as well as RonRon, the Jazz did not outrun the Lakers (fast break pts) or exploit the Lakers 2nd squad when they were on the floor...

They way they played, they will not get foul calls - not aggressive going to the basket and settling from the perimeter (and making a lot of 3's by the way...)

That being said, the Lakers do get their share of calls, so I won't complain... It's just our time now... remember when Kobe first broke in the league the Jazz took us out a couple of years in a row...

Sincerely,
a Laker season ticket holder....

back to OP... it's an age-old argument that will always be around... but it's funny how many people have "upgraded" from the E46 to the 997... maybe from the E92 to the 991 in the future as well???

I know a couple huge Z06 guys... they can always make their case for what is a better car, and I will admit Z06's are really impressive on the track, but it's just personal preference... everyone wants to think their kid is the star of the baseball team...

Old 05-06-2010, 04:24 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by rh888888
I wouldn't care what a Bmw or a Vette owner says They are great cars but they are Metoo cars. I have owned many a Vette an owning a Vette was owning a Vette. Owning a Porsche is like belonging to one big family. So the way I see it the haters are jealous of our family.
Huh?? There are more Corvette clubs than any auto make in the world!!

Last edited by 07speed; 05-06-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:04 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I guess I just don't see the point of outwardly bashing somebody's high end automobile. I can't see why you would disrespect a 911, an M3, or a Corvette. I'm not a big fan of the Corvette leather jackets though, that's for sure. But hey to each their own. I guess I just don't have time to smoke cigs and stand on a street corner bashing a car that goes 180 mph.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:11 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by REBor8

I have had my C2 for a week (coming out of a 135i). In the BMW (and in my previous 330i), I was always being cut off, challenged to street race by riced up hondas and evos, and generally looked at as if though I was responsible for all the misery in the world.

In the C2 I have received thumbs up from little kids in cars, construction workers and a state trooper! People stop me all the time on the street to comment on the car.

I guess my point is there will always be someone that hates/is envious of what you have. Ignore them. Enjoy what you have and those people around you that are important!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:31 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Porsches are an example of conspicuous consumption.

No matter what you do, to some people, even a stock one will look like a new Lambo, painted neon pink with 22" spinners and a 2 foot wing from a ricer shop.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:55 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I've been lucky so far, but no one has said much

of anything about my car. My little bro who is a huge Vette fan drove it and said he completely understands why I like it. I have noticed that Porsche people on the street are normally really cool and wave at you or talk to you at a gas station and you really do feel like part of a family.

about the only time the car becomes really noticeable is when she is driving

but I guess I'm just boring because when I'm driving not much is said

Old 05-07-2010, 10:21 AM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
are you implying a .......?

Old 05-07-2010, 09:19 PM
_Nathan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by avmike
Or my favorite, "What kept you from buyin' American?" Of course I don't have nearly the time it would take to go down that list...
I'd like to buy an American car. I had high hopes for the C6 Corvette. Then when it came out in 2005 it was pretty much like a C5 with different headlights. If GM wants to get German car owners to consider the Corvette they need to completely dump the C6 and start from scratch. The next Corvette should be a mid-engine design, with a modern engine and a high quality interior.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:18 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
I think one of the big problems with Corvettes is that once the new body style comes out, no one wants the old one. Since Porsche never really strays from the fundamental style of a 911, they never really go out of style; no matter what year they are, they are still desirable. You know anyone who wants or even looks at a Corvette from the 80's?

J

Old 05-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by _Nathan
I'd like to buy an American car. I had high hopes for the C6 Corvette. Then when it came out in 2005 it was pretty much like a C5 with different headlights. If GM wants to get German car owners to consider the Corvette they need to completely dump the C6 and start from scratch. The next Corvette should be a mid-engine design, with a modern engine and a high quality interior.
What? A C5 Vette and a C6 Vette are worlds apart.

You should make a little trip over to some of the Vette forums and see the number of either 1) former German car owners or 2) those that still own German cars PLUS a C6 Vette.

Saying a C5 Vette is just like a C6 Vette is akin to saying a 996 is the same as a 997 without fried egg headlights. We all know that simply isn't true. The 997 is a dramatic improvement over the 996 and the C6 is a dramatic improvement over the C5. If GM would simply put the quality interior of the CTS-V in the Vette it would bring in even more Euro purchasers.

The exterior design of the C6 Vette is one of the best out there and many people recognize it so why in the world would they want to "scrap" that? Mid engine?.....is the 911 going mid engine? It's been proven by both Porsche and Corvette that you don't need a mid engine to put out impressive performance.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:22 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Nothing beats a hot female in a Porsche, hehe!

Originally Posted by tourbillon001
of anything about my car. My little bro who is a huge Vette fan drove it and said he completely understands why I like it. I have noticed that Porsche people on the street are normally really cool and wave at you or talk to you at a gas station and you really do feel like part of a family.

about the only time the car becomes really noticeable is when she is driving

but I guess I'm just boring because when I'm driving not much is said

Old 05-08-2010, 08:16 AM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by amerlemans
What? A C5 Vette and a C6 Vette are worlds apart.

Absolutely...just need one test drive to figure it out.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:22 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I want to see 4 hot females in the porsche

Originally Posted by AJag
Nothing beats a hot female in a Porsche, hehe!

I would have to get rid of the baby seat though LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Haters