997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Air Intake Options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 10:26 PM
Crashriprock has much to be proud ofCrashriprock has much to be proud ofCrashriprock has much to be proud ofCrashriprock has much to be proud ofCrashriprock has much to be proud ofCrashriprock has much to be proud ofCrashriprock has much to be proud ofCrashriprock has much to be proud of
Anyone know about the "red cap" mod for the S model 997.1?

Old 03-19-2017, 07:26 AM
Beer brewer is on a distinguished road
Yes, it basically disables the function of the Helmholtz resonator in the air box, increasing the intake sound somewhat. I cannot possibly envision how this $225 device could ever add power, despite the claims of manufacturers, but I've never been very imaginative .

Old 03-19-2017, 09:31 PM
Crashriprock has much to be proud ofCrashriprock has much to be proud ofCrashriprock has much to be proud ofCrashriprock has much to be proud ofCrashriprock has much to be proud ofCrashriprock has much to be proud ofCrashriprock has much to be proud ofCrashriprock has much to be proud of
Block off resonator

Why not get a 1.5" cap and just block off the resonator and leave the stock intake in place? What am I missing?

Old 03-20-2017, 05:13 AM
Beer brewer is on a distinguished road
Exactly. This very thing can be accomplished with the inverted cap from a quart of Castrol synthetic motor oil. $7 versus $225. Manufacturers claim that the "smoothness" of the replacement intake tube measurably improves airflow and adds power. I checked with Bigfoot (who, coincidentally, was riding a unicorn) and he agreed with the manufacturers' claims. He then charged me $225 for his advice.

Last edited by Beer brewer; 03-20-2017 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-25-2017, 10:03 PM
I installed a 1.25" pvc plug, fit perfect and sounds great. Total cost $1.35

Old 03-26-2017, 03:33 PM
vern1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Crashriprock
I installed a 1.25" pvc plug, fit perfect and sounds great. Total cost $1.35
That's the way to go! Although I would pay $225 to meet Bigfoot or a unicorn for that matter

I also tend to go with the original airbox as the best unless you are going with a full 2 air intake system. The others look nice and add some sound but add little (and some say they take away from) performance.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:55 PM
Dr.JB is an unknown quantity at this point
I’m looking for ways to improve my 997.1’s breathing, my 3.8L. So, I’m curious, how dies installing a 1.25” pvc plug help? Where, exactly, is it installed, how does this work?

thanks,

John

Old 04-26-2018, 05:48 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr.JB
I’m looking for ways to improve my 997.1’s breathing, my 3.8L. So, I’m curious, how dies installing a 1.25” pvc plug help? Where, exactly, is it installed, how does this work?

thanks,

John
It plugs the Heimholz resonator under that offshoot tube of the intake hose that connects back to the airbox. I'd show you on a photo but don't have a stock airbox in either of my 997s anymore.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:52 AM
Petza914, thanks for the explanation! What airboxes are you using now and how do they compare to the stock airbox mod?

Old 04-26-2018, 08:28 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Petza914, thanks for the explanation! What airboxes are you using now and how do they compare to the stock airbox mod?
Both my 997s have active aero rear spoiler upgrades - a RUF CF decklid & wing on my silver car with E-ram upgrade and a OEM TT retrofit on the pink car so both had to be converted as the electrics and hydraulics don't allow for the OEM airbox to remain. The silver car has a Fabspeed J-Pipe and the pink car an Evoms intake. The silver car also has a complete Fabspeed exhaust - headers, mufflers, 200 cell X-cats so with the RUF forced induction and exhaust mods, the intake probably had greater results on this car than it would on a less modified one. The pink car has a stock exhaust except for a Gundo hack on the mufflers and an ipd plenum.

In both cases, throttle response is better, there is a little gain in top end at high RPMs where flow is increased, and the additional intake noise adds to the overall sensations, without any real downsides. On both filters I'm running a K&N Hydrophobic pre-filter to prevent the oiled filters from becoming water saturated when driving in the rain, compromising the filtering effectiveness. I do a UOA on all oil change samples I take and Silicon levels are not any higher than they were with the OEM airboxes so there is not additional dirt getting past these wire/gauze/oiled filters.

I like the design of the Evoms intake the best once full width decklid vents exist (TT decklid) or the second cutout is opened up in the non-turbo decklid as both intake locations are located at the fresh air openings and the rest of the airbox is closed to not allow warmer ambient engine air to be sucked in. The best aftermarket airbox is the Champion F77 CF one, but it's crazy expensive. I test fit one for my silver car but it wouldn't fit with the supercharger pulley setup or wing rams.

Hope that info is helpful.

Prefilter not shown in this photo

Old 04-26-2018, 08:39 AM
Yes, Petza914, this is, indeed, helpful; thank you. I've installed the Fabspeed SS headers and while it improved the top end, the bottom end/3000 rpm hump was made worse and I'm hoping that by improving air intake, it'll smooth out the torque curve.

I didn't realize the EVOM's draw cold air from both sides of the deck; this must, indeed, be an advantage? I assume this setup bests the stock airbox mod?

Lastly, have you retuned to compensate for your mods?

Old 04-26-2018, 09:17 AM
Yes, Petza914, this is, indeed, helpful; thank you. I've installed the Fabspeed SS headers and while it improved the top end, the bottom end/3000 rpm hump was made worse and I'm hoping that by improving air intake, it'll smooth out the torque curve.

I didn't realize the EVOM's draw cold air from both sides of the deck; this must, indeed, be an advantage? I assume this setup bests the stock airbox mod?

Lastly, have you retuned to compensate for your mods?
Yes, just blocking the Heimholz resonator port isn't much of an intake mod, though it does seem to assist with eliminating a slight dead-spot in the RPM range.

The newer style Fabpseed Y-Pipe design also draws from both sides and has a taller heat shield than the early J-Pipe design as well, but it's still a more open design.

I didn't do any tuning to compensate for the small changes on my wife's pink car. The silver car was tuned by RUF as part of the supercharger setup and that was an extensive tune that including replacing the standard DME with one from a TT in order to be able to have access to all the parameters that needed adjusting for forced induction.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:26 AM
Ok, thanks, that’s good to know as it’s that 3000 rpm hump I’d like to eliminate.

The Fabspeed Y configuration is very attractive, but I don’t like the open design, capable of drawing in hot engine-bay air.

I’m wondering if the EVOM setup will allow dual air draw with a normal deck; assume the plate needs to have a hole cut in it, but need to know if it can accommodate such a hole?

I will try these mods before retuning, see how it goes.

Thanks for your help! Beautiful machines, by the way!

Old 04-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Ok, thanks, that’s good to know as it’s that 3000 rpm hump I’d like to eliminate.

The Fabspeed Y configuration is very attractive, but I don’t like the open design, capable of drawing in hot engine-bay air.

I’m wondering if the EVOM setup will allow dual air draw with a normal deck; assume the plate needs to have a hole cut in it, but need to know if it can accommodate such a hole?

I will try these mods before retuning, see how it goes.

Thanks for your help! Beautiful machines, by the way!
Thank you , and yes, the stock decklid actually has a punch out or template on the decklid where you can make a hole on the right side that looks just like the hole on the left side and purchase the trim pieces to make it look nice.

There was a used Evoms decklid for sale in the marketplace either here or on Rennlist recently too. Might still be available if you search for it.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:47 PM
Thank you, much appreciated!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Air Intake Options?