997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How do you guys deal with the bird #!^%@#?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:21 PM
thealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to all
How do you guys deal with the bird #!^%@#?

Hey Guys,

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of keeping my car garaged for the majority of the spring/summer months. Even worse, I have to park under this damn tree, which while great for keeping the sun off, is absolutely miserable when it comes to other things. Most notably, it provides the ideal spot for birds to line up with their laser sights and make a mess out of my car ever single time i wash it...without fail, and totally on purpose. What do you guys use to remove some errant crap without going through a whole wash. I don't have the option of a hose hook up (stupid assigned condo parking space), and my rampant OCD would not allow me to bucket wash a few spots without then driving to Scrub a Dub and washing the entire car again...

Thanks for any and all input.

-Alex

Old 05-11-2010, 07:26 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Make sure you have applied a good paint sealant glaze; perhaps you need to reapply every couple of months. I recommend Klasse Sealant Glaze or Rejex. Clean the mess as quickly as possible with a quick detailer.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
HxCforlife has a spectacular aura aboutHxCforlife has a spectacular aura about
Being from Jersey also i know where you are coming from. Something the the jersey birds eat that makes them crap a ton lol. I use a sprey detailer and a micro cloth to get it off works pretty good. Or get some warm water as well.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
thealexman,

First get a damp sponge and place it on the spot for a minute or two. DO NOT WIPE IT YET, just place it there and walk away. This will soften it up. Don't even think about trying to remove it before you do this or you'll scratch the hell out your paint. This is especially true if the bird sh*t has any blueberries or seeds in it.

Once it's soft remove it with a wet paper towel. I suggest using a paper towel so you can simply throw it away. Try to surround it and "round it up" with the towel. Avoid pressing it down into the paint. As I said above sometime it has seeds in it which can make it extremely abrasive.

Finally, apply some spray detailer with a soft micro fiber cloth. I like to use Speed Shine from Griot's Garage.

Edit: Congrats on your new Golf. Now I have to punch you in the arm and yell out "gray one" - LOL!

Last edited by Auto_Union; 05-11-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 PM
winkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of lightwinkingchef is a glorious beacon of light
Get one of those plastic owls and put it in an obvious spot near the tree, but out of reach of kids. No birds, no birdsh*t.

Also, car covers work vs sun and poop. Given that you don't drive it everyday (the VW), this is probably worth the investment. Get a sturdy outdoor one.

Last edited by winkingchef; 05-11-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:42 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Agree with everything said on the thread . Bird droppings can scratch and even stain the paint. I think the sun is better than the tree idea (as bad as that may sound) .

Old 05-11-2010, 08:53 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
thealexman,

Finally, apply some spray detailer with a soft micro fiber cloth. I like to use Speed Shine from Griot's Garage.
+1
I use Speed Shine as well and one of their ultra soft car wash towels. Spray it on, let it loosen the crap, and just wipe it off. Using it is like watching a guy in a commercial. Works perfectly. Not a trace left and it takes no effort. Assumes you have a good coat of wax, of course. But I'm sure you do.
While you're shopping there, pick up an orbital polisher, you'll be addicted!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:38 PM
thealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to all
Thanks for all the input guys...I definitely didn't want to rush right into it, you never know what those birds are eating, but almost blew my stack after spending all that time on it again today. I think the Boston birds take note of my Jersey plates sometimes too...brutal. +1 on the Jersey birds, too much damn White Castle. I will totally look into the car cover, before the Pcar was my DD so it wasn't feasible, now...it's looking better all the time.

-Alex

Old 05-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
thealexman,

Edit: Congrats on your new Golf. Now I have to punch you in the arm and yell out "gray one" - LOL!
Haha, thanks Auto...I was actually joking with a buddy of mine today about that. Everyone at work punched me the first day I had it.

-Alex

Last edited by thealexman; 05-11-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
at home, quick detailer and cloth.

on the road, saliva and starbuck's napkin.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:07 PM
calypso is on a distinguished road
Just get that **** off as quick as possible. If your car is sealed/waxed, bird **** and cut through that pretty quick and leave some unsightly marks.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:43 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
what about one of those car tents. It's like a collapsible car port.
That'll keep it out of the sun as well.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:56 AM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ryem3
+1
I use Speed Shine as well and one of their ultra soft car wash towels. Spray it on, let it loosen the crap, and just wipe it off. Using it is like watching a guy in a commercial. Works perfectly. Not a trace left and it takes no effort. Assumes you have a good coat of wax, of course. But I'm sure you do.
While you're shopping there, pick up an orbital polisher, you'll be addicted!
I replaced Speed Shine with Griot's Spray On Car Wash. It seems to work even better than Speed Shine for bird poop and bug strikes. The bottle describes Spray On Car Wash as "Highly Lubricious." It feels that way too, very slick stuff, highly recommended!

Old 05-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Agree with everything said on the thread . Bird droppings can scratch and even stain the paint. I think the sun is better than the tree idea (as bad as that may sound) .
Truer words never spoken...sadly, I'm assigned spot #4 (each spot is attached to a specific unit) and that's right under the damn tree. I jokingly told someone on the condo board I was going to burn the tree down...they were not amused.

-Alex

Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 AM
henrysko will become famous soon enoughhenrysko will become famous soon enough

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you guys deal with the bird #!^%@#?