997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Overheating during HPDE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:36 PM
jpw2b is on a distinguished road
Overheating during HPDE

I'm driving a 2009 997.2 C4S PDK. Doing HPDE with about 80 degrees F temp. During afternoon sessions (20 min sessions), noted oil temp up near 275 and water temp up near top. Was in Sport Plus and not overriding the shifting, just letting the programmed shifting take place. Eased off for a lap and things cooled down a bit. I've done about a dozen track days in a couple of cars so am now driving pretty hard.

In talking with local PCA guys they feel this is pretty unusual, that these cars are made to handle these type of days with ease. Still, they were not sure what the history of this is with the 997.2 PDK being a new motor and new transmission.

They also suggested driving in manual mode and short shifting before red line to take it a bit easier on the motor. I'm happy to try that next time, but would be dissappointed if the car was truly incapable of handling this in the factory designed "track" mode...

I'd appreciate any thoughts and suggestions. My local dealer hasn't been much help as of yet...

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2010, 01:51 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Did you check to see if your radiator's were clogged with leaves, rubber from tires, or any other foreign objects?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Radiators are fine. Also no problems with temps with regular street driving.

Anyone else with a 997.2 and PDK done HPDE?

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
certainly not normal....I run my car hard in 100 degree temps all day without getting much above normal...need to have your cooling system checked for pressure and as mentioned your radiators for foreign material...do you have a front plate blocking off some of the intake area? Oh yeah, temp sensors are known to fail so have that checked too..or is it obvious that the car is overheating (any overflow or steam?)

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 05-18-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the thoughts!
Radiators look OK. My understanding is that the C4S has just the 2 side radiators and not the third center one that the GT3 has...

I'll have them check the cooling system and radiator switches and temp sensors.

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2010, 04:57 PM
996C4Sdriver is on a distinguished road
C4S over heating

I track a 2003 C4S and have done multiple 30-45 minute sessions at Watkins Glen in summer heat and the temp gauge never budges beyond 200 - 220 and I have not had the 3rd radiator installed.
Would definitely think you have some cooling system issues or faulty sensor unless the PDK is really generating that much extra heat.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
7Speed is on a distinguished road
On my C4S PDK 09 happend the same in sport plus on the track I need a third radiator

Old 05-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
wow thats weird. I have torture tested my 09 Carrera, 6 speed though, on private track time, drove from a full tank, until I needed gas, filled up, then right back out. Countless track sessions on it. NEVER a problem. Something is clearly wrong, maybe it's the PDK.... Wasn't there a writeup some time ago about a PDK cayman over heating in one of the mags?

Old 05-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Maybe it is the PDK that is producing the extra heat....
Anyone besides 7Speed have this happen?

7Speed, have you spoken with your dealer?

Seems if enough folks were finding this Porsche should know about it. Is certainly not in keeping with their catering to the driving enthusiast if their newest motor/transmission paring is not able to stand up to vigorous driving...

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 PM
This is interesting:
Also some discussion of this on Rennlist...

And apparently some info that the 2011 MY 997 S PDK cars will come with the third center radiator....

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/page1.html?vs=3

Unfortunately I cant open the PDF as I can't remember my password there and the system for resetting it seems to be down...

Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I know several '09 S PDK who are tracked regularly in 80F+ weather with no issues.

The OP should have his car checked.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
my 09 C2S PDK heats up the oil to 275 but the (fakey) water gauge is still at 175...totally bogus gauge!
Anyway, I have been doing DE's like this since I got the car in September 2008 and the car keeps on going. I change the oil out after 2 DE weekends.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:46 AM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
Interesting comment on the water temp gauge. Do you really think that it's inaccurate? Mine does go to 175 then seems to hold there - I haven't questioned it, but I am curious as to your thoughts.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:18 AM
1100S is on a distinguished road
I've got the same set up ie 09 C4S PDK, and just did my first track day with it last week. Fairly short track so not alot of cool down for the car. Left in Sport Plus "automatic" so it was shifting at redline and revs were always up. Went through a tank of gas and my results were the same as Mdrums. Oil temp at 275 and water indicated at 175. It does seem strange that the water temp would be that much lower. In my experience it's usually its lower but not by that much.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:37 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pcs
Interesting comment on the water temp gauge. Do you really think that it's inaccurate? Mine does go to 175 then seems to hold there - I haven't questioned it, but I am curious as to your thoughts.
This is common in many performance cars today, the gauge is "weighted", basically for ease of reading and aesthetics, the gauge will read a benchmark level unless the reading deviates *way* beyond that reading. Believe me, if it starts to rise to dangerous levels, the gauge does move!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Overheating during HPDE