997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Proactive love bug defense?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:04 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
Proactive love bug defense?

Short of putting a bra on the car, is there another solution for proactively protecting the car from love bugs BEFORE the drive? I would like something that might make it easier to clean them off.

I have a drive to central Florida this weekend (love bug captial).

Old 05-27-2010, 01:08 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I hate love bugs

I don't know of anything, I hope someone has something good. I live in central florida as well and they are a total pain in the ***

Old 05-27-2010, 01:12 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Griot's has a film that you can apply during a trip - see Small Version and Large Version.

Last edited by adias; 05-27-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:13 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
This is what I've been doing for the last 10+ years. Just before the start of the Spring & Fall Love Bug season I wax the cars w/Star brite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF (Walmart or West Marine)
http://www.starbrite.com/productdeta...20%26%20Polish
This stuff also works great on the wheels.
Just before the trip I'll spray the front end w/ Pam (or Publix) Olive oil spray. Once I get there I'll hose or wash the dead bugs off and after I'm home I give it a good washing.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
I drove across the state last weekend-Jensen Beach to Sarasota-what a mess- my solution kept my car perfectly clean-Enterprise's car got really messy.....james

Old 05-27-2010, 04:25 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Whenever I head thru Fla for our annual UniversalOrlando trip, I just make sure the clearbar is loaded up with a good Plexus coat. Then (as **** as it sounds) at any rest stop take warm water towel and wash-em-off.

No-doubt (if you have clearbra on front) the Plexus makes a HUGE difference in how well those little dudes do not stick.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:34 PM
NJR911 is on a distinguished road
I spray pledge (the furniture wax) you can even get the lemon sent if you would like. I also spray the front of my car before all track days and on the way home I stop and pressure wash the front and it always comes clean!

Old 05-27-2010, 07:55 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
Pledge - that is clever. I also found this:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...C+35+ounces.do

Has anyone tried it?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Rejex is something that was all the rage in like 2004-2005. It was developed as
an aircraft waxlike material and it really sheds dirt and bugs easily. Tons of 911 guys
use it also.
I dont know where you can get it but its like $20

Old 05-27-2010, 10:26 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I use either RejeX or lately I mostly use Starbrite Marine polish with PTFE. Both seem to work the same. I have used the Pledge thing for years. Work great on the boat too for a good freshing up after a wash or quick wipedown before a day of boating.

Some have sprayed Pam cooking spray on the front of the car.

The clear film sold by Griot's is something I want to look into. However I want to find out what this clear film is and who manufactures it so I can buy it in some sort of bulk for Love Bug season and at the track.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:40 AM
mnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by avmike
Pledge - that is clever. I also found this:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...C+35+ounces.do

Has anyone tried it?
I use this and it works.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Check this stuff out. I've used it a couple times and it actually works pretty well. The only drawback is if you come across any heavy rain, it washes it off. It will last through some light rain, but we don't get much of that down here..lol

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/shield.html

Old 05-28-2010, 10:11 AM
dr997 is on a distinguished road
you can pick up that rejex at boat owners warehouse. about 20 bucks. In order to work right you have to let it set for 12 hours.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:11 PM
tr_dlite is on a distinguished road
Damp cloth and elbow grease is the best solution...