997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Le 24 Heures du Le Mans

Old 06-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
These races are terribly expensive. Audi makes an enormous amount of $$$$$$$ on their road car business...basically most of the VW group's profit ( which is not small). Audi has done a great job in building up its luxury/sport sedan business with significant investment.

I also think Porsche is "sitting on it's laurels". Porsche basically had something to prove to the world in the 1970s with the 917 and has been very successful in the 1970s, 80s and 90s. Now it is established but, frankly, struggling to remain competitive in the races where the 911 qualifies.

I am not sure what is next for them. Indeed, it may be an expensive mid-engined V8 car on the order of Ferrari or Lambo.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:47 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by drspeed
1st) I wonder if Porsche is less motivated to build a P1 car due to the link with Audi through the VW group? With 16 outright victories, I would think they'd want to put a few more in the bank if possible to maintain undisputed #1 status. Audi has now matched Ferrari with 9.

2nd) One board member mentioned BMW's poor performance. The Rahal Letterman team has been a force so far in ALMS with the M3. Was this a different spec car? Was it more restricted by different regs?

3rd) What a shame for Peugeot. Apparently if multiple cars suffered engine failures, then it suggests they didn't deserve the win, but for Audi to simply inherit the 1-2-3 is not the real picture of the race. I laughed out loud when Alan McNish explained the links to Audi road cars citing the LED headlights used from the R8!! Clearly Audi is a talented manufacturer, but their road cars are a far far different product than their racing machines, unlike you know who...

DRP
The M3 GT2 is an LMS-spec car which uses MacPherson struts, against the ALMS-spec double wishbone. I also heard the air restrictor is smaller. Finally, the front end of the M3 is bigger than almost all of its competitors so there will be a bit more pressure drag on it.

I have to agree w/ point 3. Quite a shame that they did not work out reliability problems, seeing their dominance of the 2009 race. Peugeot lost it, rather than Audi won it.