997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

TPCRacing CT-520 Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:18 PM
96redLT4 will become famous soon enough96redLT4 will become famous soon enough
Hi Eric. I had not seen this thread before and am thinking about the same mods. I am anxiously awaiting your results. I would be trying to do it through my local P mechanic not affil with TPC. 6 weeks without my baby! I guess a no pain no gain proposition...
Jim

Old 07-19-2010, 04:40 AM
msia is an unknown quantity at this point
Hopefully Casey can chime in with a further explanation of the issues. They're building my turbo kit as we speak to be shipped out to me. So far they've been a pleasure to deal with, considering I'm 10,000 miles away

Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
Eric, Thanks again for your patience... The 2005 Car has a different ECU w/different requirements and we are working diligently to get it back to you as soon as we can.
Thanks Casey.

Volant997, do please keep us updated. My car is an '05 C2S too! Very interested in how it works out. Many thanks

Old 07-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Any updates? Casey? Volant997?

Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Volant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by msia
Any updates? Casey? Volant997?
Well - so far no luck...

Bottom line - The kit just doesn't work on a 2005/997.

The issue is in the ECU that came specific to the 2005. The software just won't run on it. TPC has one more thing to try (hopefully tomorrow) -- if it doesn't work we will be pulling the plug. I'll be eight weeks into this project on Friday. I'd be willing to revisit taking this on if/when a solution is developed, I'm just no longer willing to sacrifice the use of my car to serve as a development platform.

Fingers crossed and hoping the next idea achieves a break-through this week...

Old 07-26-2010, 05:32 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Volant997
Well - so far no luck...

The issue is in the ECU that came specific to the 2005. The software just won't run on it. TPC has one more thing to try (hopefully tomorrow) -- if it doesn't work we will be pulling the plug. I'll be eight weeks into this project on Friday. I'd be willing to revisit taking this on if/when a solution is developed, I'm just no longer willing to sacrifice the use of my car to serve as a development platform.

Thanks for the update. Hope they can work it out.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Well - so far no luck...

Thanks again for the update. Hopefully the next idea is the one!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:28 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Well - so far no luck...

In your best Homer Simpson voice "DOOH!"

Old 07-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Hmmm. What a bummer. I hope they can put your car back together correctly.Wasn't there a hole that had to be punched in the bumper or fenderwall? Aren't there people with 05s who have already had this done??
jim
Jim

Old 07-27-2010, 04:37 AM
Volant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Hmmm. What a bummer. I hope they can put your car back together correctly.Wasn't there a hole that had to be punched in the bumper or fenderwall? Aren't there people with 05s who have already had this done??
jim
Jim
My concern exactly. What I'm really concerned about is the ECU will now show obvious signs of tampering. How that effects trade in value is a TBD but it can't be good. Looking up in the wheel well to discover a hole punched in will be another obvious sign the car has been modded. I was willing to take those hits for the benefits of the kit, but now I'm looking at absorbing the loss in equity without any benefit at all.

No other 05 has had this kit installed. No one involved felt there was any risk as the kit was installed successfully on many later MY cars.

Fingers still crossed that there is a happy ending to this...

Old 07-27-2010, 05:54 AM
My concern exactly. What I'm really concerned about is the ECU will now show obvious signs of tampering. How that effects trade in value is a TBD but it can't be good. Looking up in the wheel well to discover a hole punched in will be another obvious sign the car has been modded. I was willing to take those hits for the benefits of the kit, but now I'm looking at absorbing the loss in equity without any benefit at all.

No other 05 has had this kit installed. No one involved felt there was any risk as the kit was installed successfully on many later MY cars.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 AM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about

Hi Volant997,
Assuming the worst, that the turbo can't be installed, I wouldn't be too worried about the hole tapped for oil cooling. If you look at the engine bottom and sides, there's all sorts of bolts and screws. This would just be another bolt in the engine case and since the case is molded with the hole in mind it wouldn't look unusual.

On a more positive note, I would be bullish on Mike Levitas' ability to work through the challenge. And presuming he overcomes the challenges, then you'll be thrilled with the results as I have been with my '06 C4 and TPC turbo.

Best of luck,
Bob

Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by MarathonBob
Hi Volant997,
On a more positive note, I would be bullish on Mike Levitas' ability to work through the challenge. And presuming he overcomes the challenges, then you'll be thrilled with the results as I have been with my '06 C4 and TPC turbo.

Best of luck,
Bob
Thanks Bob! I appreciate the positive thoughts. I'm with you on Mike -- if anyone can make it work he's the guy. Hopefully we will know one way or the other tomorrow.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Josh@TPCRACING
Hey guys!

So here's the story with Volant997's car.

The issue discovered applies to Volant997's car, a 2005 997 C2S, and all other 2005 C2/C2S's.

Much in the same way a 1999 996 C2 is a sort of bridge between generations, with it's cable operated throttle body and 993-type ECU, all of the 2005 C2/C2S vehicles are running the newer 7.8 version ECU with the older 7.2 version processor. Another sign of this older influence on these vehicles is that the 2005 C2/C2S O2 sensors are the older 996's 4-wire configuration, not the 997's true 6-wire O2 sensors.

Unfortunately, the 7.2 processor (in the 05 ECU) does not have the power to handle the higher demands of an aftermarket turbo system.

HOWEVER, we have developed a solution that will allow us to easily convert these cars to run the 2006-08 true 7.8 version ECU.

As a test to our theory, we temporarily converted the car to run on an external processor in order to provide the vehicle with the additional processing power it needed to run the turbo system. This test was successful, however we did want to leave the car in this configuration because that was older technology that was not as smooth and efficient as our newer software flashing. So it was decided, we must convert the vehicle to run on the newer 2006-08 ECU so that it would have all the processing power needed to produce a turbo kit that met both our and our customers' expectations.

Our plan is now to get an 2006 7.8 Version ECU and convert the O2 sensors to 2006-08 spec. We are implementing this new strategy as quickly as possible. And expect to have results within the next couple days.
Soooo how much is it and how easy is it to swap an ECU before the turbo installation?
Jim

Old 07-29-2010, 03:40 AM
Originally Posted by Josh@TPCRACING
Hey guys!

So here's the story with Volant997's car.

The issue discovered applies to Volant997's car, a 2005 997 C2S, and all other 2005 C2/C2S's.

Much in the same way a 1999 996 C2 is a sort of bridge between generations, with it's cable operated throttle body and 993-type ECU, all of the 2005 C2/C2S vehicles are running the newer 7.8 version ECU with the older 7.2 version processor. Another sign of this older influence on these vehicles is that the 2005 C2/C2S O2 sensors are the older 996's 4-wire configuration, not the 997's true 6-wire O2 sensors.

Unfortunately, the 7.2 processor (in the 05 ECU) does not have the power to handle the higher demands of an aftermarket turbo system.

HOWEVER, we have developed a solution that will allow us to easily convert these cars to run the 2006-08 true 7.8 version ECU.

As a test to our theory, we temporarily converted the car to run on an external processor in order to provide the vehicle with the additional processing power it needed to run the turbo system. This test was successful, however we did want to leave the car in this configuration because that was older technology that was not as smooth and efficient as our newer software flashing. So it was decided, we must convert the vehicle to run on the newer 2006-08 ECU so that it would have all the processing power needed to produce a turbo kit that met both our and our customers' expectations.

Our plan is now to get an 2006 7.8 Version ECU and convert the O2 sensors to 2006-08 spec. We are implementing this new strategy as quickly as possible. And expect to have results within the next couple days.
So TPC, has the solution succeeded? And how much added costs are you guys estimating?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TPCRacing CT-520 Turbo Install