997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

TPCRacing CT-520 Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 05:11 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Volant997
Thought it was about time to provide an update rather than trying to keep up with the PM's.

I DID take delivery of my car from TPC a week and a half ago (16 Sept). Mike was happy with the car and I trusted that everything was sorted out.

When picking up the car Mike did advise me to keep the boost controller on "Lo" and that the were not advertising running 6.0lbs of boost.

Driving it home in traffic took over two hours in the rain so I didn't get a chance to really test it out on the drive home. It did however backfire about a dozen times on the drive home - which I thought was odd.

The next morning I took the car directly to a VA emissions inspection station since my registration had lapsed in the 3 months it was with TPC. It was a nice morning so I did try a hard acceleration after the engine warmed up. The Check Engine Light came on and chimed at WOT. I've tried it a couple times since and anything past 3/4 throttle generates a CEL.

At the inspection I was failed rght away due to two sensors being disabled or "unavailable". Seems the Catalyst and Evaporative Control sensors are not reporting.

The car is also putting out a very thick smelling exhaust. At a light with the windows down it smells very thick/rich. Run it in the garage and you will quickly drive yourself out.

After numerous calls and emails to TPC I think I finally convinced Mike that things might not be "right" with this install. Backfiring, CEL's, thick exhaust, and off-line emissions sensors are symptoms that not all is not well with what I think is a very sick car.

So that's where we are at for the moment. I plan to bring it back to TPC for another drop-off this week. I truly hope they get it sorted out quickly...

I'll continue to update a little more frequently from here on out.

What a shame. Your patience should be rewarded. I hope it all works out.

Thanks for keepng us posted.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:45 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
^^^^^^^ ......wow....u r correct?.......

Old 09-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Volant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the rough
I was able to drop the car this afternoon back at TPC. Mike hooked up a few pieces of diagnostic equipement and we were able to replicate the backfiring several times on a test run.

We got on the car HARD a few times - this time no CEL's came up.

Mike thinks he's got the backfiring issue figured out and turning the nonreporting sensors back on is easy, but it will be in the shop for at least a week.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:37 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Turbo cars are awesome when they work and a b!tch when they don't. That is why I went back to N/A. Hope it all works out in the end.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:51 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
Turbo cars are awesome when they work and a b!tch when they don't. That is why I went back to N/A. Hope it all works out in the end.
So did you have a TPC turbo installed and removed off of your car?
Or are you talking about some other car altogether?

Stacy

Old 09-29-2010, 05:34 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by justatoy
So did you have a TPC turbo installed and removed off of your car?
Or are you talking about some other car altogether?

Stacy
It was a different car altogether and not a Porsche. When it ran it was awesome, but turbo cars have lots of sensitivities such as inlet air temperatures, MAF, vacuum leaks, etc. that can be a pain to track down/manage. In the end I just like to drive and not fix things.

I think TPC does a fantastic job and I'm sure the outcome of this will be terrific.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:09 AM
96redLT4 will become famous soon enough96redLT4 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Volant997
Thought it was about time to provide an update rather than trying to keep up with the PM's.

I DID take delivery of my car from TPC a week and a half ago (16 Sept). Mike was happy with the car and I trusted that everything was sorted out.

When picking up the car Mike did advise me to keep the boost controller on "Lo" and that they were not advertising running 6.0lbs of boost.

Driving it home in heavy traffic took over two hours in the rain so I didn't get a chance to really test it out on the drive home. It did however backfire about a dozen times on the drive - which I thought was odd.

The next morning I took the car directly to a VA emissions inspection station since my registration had lapsed in the 3 months it was with TPC. It was a nice morning so I did try a hard acceleration after the engine warmed up. The Check Engine Light came on and chimed at WOT. I've tried it a couple times since and anything past 3/4 throttle generates a CEL and the car continues to frequently backfire.

At the inspection I was failed right away due to two sensors being disabled or "unavailable". Seems the Catalyst and Evaporative Control sensors are not reporting.

The car is also putting out a very thick smelling exhaust. At a light with the windows down it smells very thick/rich. Run it in the garage and you will quickly drive yourself out.

After a number of conversations and emails to TPC I think I finally convinced Mike that things might not be totally "right" with this install. Backfiring, CEL's, thick exhaust, and off-line emissions sensors are symptoms that all is not well with what I think is a very sick car.

With all that said it does make good power and is a hoot to drive - but being unregisterable, throwing CELs and backfiring certainly doesn't make it worth it.

So that's where we are at for the moment. I plan to bring it back to TPC for another drop-off this week. I truly hope they get it sorted out quickly...

I'll continue to update a little more frequently from here on out.

I doubt this would all be worth it to me unless TPC was right next door!
J

Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 AM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
At this point they should be giving you their 997 Turbo or Cayman Turbo as a loaner while they figure out your car issues. Then, you actually would become their #1 priority and you could be sitting back telling them they could take their time.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:56 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
I will probably get negative rep'd to death but, Hmmmmmmm......

Josh,

IMHO this answer isnt enough for me. I would have asked to have the unit removed after the first month of delays. Maybe a used car purchased by TPC for R and D, then a re install in your clients car. Of course all this means nothing if Eric has gotten a substantial refund.

I believe that your product and service is top notch. My concern is you state that Eric's car will become the number one priority after you hold your "Sponsored Event". Has Eric's car been the number two priority in the past....

I am not calling you out, I just feel that your reply was mishandled. I dont care that TPC is having a "Sponsored Event" that is irrelevant to this thread.(TPC Turbo Install)
I dont care about all the customers that need service before Eric.

I was waiting for my CPO to expire and considering a TPC turbo....I still will consider it, but when I see your responses to a troubled client that you have, it concerns me...............

Jim

Old 09-30-2010, 01:14 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Jim, I thought about negative reping you because it is you.

I wouldn't suggest any forced induction on your car, as it has sat so much since you owned it, and will surely blow up in the first few months when you actually do drive it to the country club!

Old 09-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Jim, I thought about negative reping you because it is you.

I wouldn't suggest any forced induction on your car, as it has sat so much since you owned it, and will surely blow up in the first few months when you actually do drive it to the country club!
Li Luv U Man! LOL

Way to shed lite on my post!!!! LOL

Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 PM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
after you guys install 20 or 30 with no problems then contact me - id be interested - sounds like waaaay too many problems right now

Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by P997S
after you guys install 20 or 30 with no problems then contact me - id be interested - sounds like waaaay too many problems right now
Josh, just tune Eric's car like my '06 997 C4 with TPC turbo and he'll be a happy camper. Mine's running great and I'm hopeful you'll get Eric to the same place!
Bob

Old 09-30-2010, 04:26 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MarathonBob
Josh, just tune Eric's car like my '06 997 C4 with TPC turbo and he'll be a happy camper. Mine's running great and I'm hopeful you'll get Eric to the same place!
Bob
DITTO....Eric NEEDS his car running like Bob.I have talked to Bob many times on the phone and he IS always happy with the performance of his TPC turbo set-up!

Eric seriously wins the award of being the MOST patient customer this century and KUDOS to him for enduring this so that the rest of us will have a plug and play system!

I am just lucky that I put this on hold UNTIL they sort out the issues with the 05's......I could only imagine the TIME/money it would have taken to ship the ECU back and forth while trying different ECU programs,never mind the frustration of cross border shipping !

I wish you guys at TPC and Eric the BEST.....and HOPE it will be GREAT news soon for everyone!

Regards,

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 09-30-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:36 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
Li Luv U Man! LOL

Way to shed lite on my post!!!! LOL
Is it bad that I still want to give you a negative rep? It is almost like a modaholic trying to stop...I can't do anymore, but I want to

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TPCRacing CT-520 Turbo Install