997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:57 PM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
997.2 Suspension Questions

Data:

a) I have a 2009 C2S with _regular_ PASM (not sport).

b) I would like to lower the car and get a stiffer ride while keeping the flexibility of the PASM button.

c) Ideally, I would like to run something like front -1.0/0.02 (camber/toe) and rear -1.5/0.12 as I have read it is a good start for a compromise of street/track use.

I did some research on the forums and here is my understanding of this so far:

1) I understand I could either do a full blown Damptronics coilover system or just do springs (Eibach/Techart). I am still a little fuzzy on the pro's and cons but it looks like the Damptronics are more refined but that is about it. Otherwise people seem to be divided. With $$$ seemingly the most popular deciding factor between the two options.

2) With a stiffer kit (PASM compatible springs of full coilover), I understand I would go from normal/sport to sport/supersport with the "PASM" button. Am I right?

3) For springs I know there are 3rd party options (Eibach/Techart/H&R/etc.) but is it also possible to put the OEM PASM Sport specs springs thus essentially getting PASM Sport minus the LSD? Any recommendations on the 3rd party options (TechArt looks like the favorites)?

4) Reading some sites, it seems that lowering the car will have an effect on alignment ranges and that with the factory parts on my car, I would not be able to align the car's geometry properly (see above alignment values). Is that right? Is it the same for damptronics and springs or is there a difference?

5) Following up on #4, I also read some reports that changing toe steer and rear link kits can lead to some added noise. Any recommendations there?

Did I get it right? Any info/comments will be appreciated.

Tanks in advance,

T.

Last edited by tcouture; 06-28-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:42 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
T. you have the correct understand on this.

I have GT3 lower control arms and run a more agressive alignment but do not have any more road noise than normal.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 PM
carfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura about
I have a C4S, non Sport chassis

I lowered the car with Techart springs and I am fully happy with my car

Change was not dramatic, but it improved

Hope this helps !

Old 06-28-2010, 09:31 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have Damptronics and love them . It is much more planted than stock and sport button as well as ride height adjustable.

On my Turbo I actually did a comparison of Techart springs and then switching to Damptronics . Of the springs group I happen to love the Techart . They also make coil overs too but they are not cheap . Since I was installing several things I opted for the Bilstein and the Gt2 sway bar . Whata huge difference .

With the springs I felt that the tires faced more cornering stress . With the damptronics I felt the suspension absorbed and adjusted to what the car is capable of doing.

My vote goes to Bilsteins .. BUT .. very important .. make sure you choose the best installer because it is crucial to have the suspension properly installed.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:35 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Here's a picture of my Turbo's Techart spring next to the Bilstein as well as a few from the installation taken by the guys who did the work and sent to me.

Attached Images     
Old 06-29-2010, 02:22 PM
lee7758 is on a distinguished road
Nice suspension! I am using that on my 997.2 also!!

Old 06-29-2010, 02:33 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I had H&R springs for a very short period of time until I installed Damptronics. The handling characteristics drastically improved in doing the switch. I know each spring manufacturer's springs will handle slightly differently, but coilovers will give you a much more refined feel versus any spring.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tcouture
Data:

b) I would like to lower the car and get a stiffer ride while keeping the flexibility of the PASM button.

c) Ideally, I would like to run something like front -1.0/0.02 (camber/toe) and rear -1.5/0.12 as I have read it is a good start for a compromise of street/track use.

1) I understand I could either do a full blown Damptronics coilover system or just do springs (Eibach/Techart). I am still a little fuzzy on the pro's and cons but it looks like the Damptronics are more refined but that is about it. Otherwise people seem to be divided. With $$$ seemingly the most popular deciding factor between the two options.

2) With a stiffer kit (PASM compatible springs of full coilover), I understand I would go from normal/sport to sport/supersport with the "PASM" button. Am I right?

3) For springs I know there are 3rd party options (Eibach/Techart/H&R/etc.) but is it also possible to put the OEM PASM Sport specs springs thus essentially getting PASM Sport minus the LSD? Any recommendations on the 3rd party options (TechArt looks like the favorites)?

4) Reading some sites, it seems that lowering the car will have an effect on alignment ranges and that with the factory parts on my car, I would not be able to align the car's geometry properly (see above alignment values). Is that right? Is it the same for damptronics and springs or is there a difference?

5) Following up on #4, I also read some reports that changing toe steer and rear link kits can lead to some added noise. Any recommendations there?

Tanks in advance,

T.
How much time do you plan on spending at the track? We would certainly recommend the H&R spring setup if your planning on keeping your OE dampers / PASM. Please send me a pm and I'd be more than happy to help. We've done a number of 997.2 lately for track and street setup.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:59 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
1-Damptronics are height adjustable, giving you more options on what you want (comfort or handling). Some track junkies find Bilstein too soft for track. I drive my car on both street and track, so I find them stiff enough to drive on the street without being too much of a burden.

2-With coilovers, the lower you go the stiffer the suspension will feel, and less bodyroll. So going lower gives you more handling at the sacrifice of comfort (approach angles, stiffer ride)

3-People have different preferences for springs. As far as I've read, Eibach makes the TechArt springs. So if you are considering TechArt save your money and go purchase from Eibach directly. Some people suggest H&R over Eibachs. Some people say H&R springs sag over time, but it is not sagging, rather the car settles further with time naturally.

4-Alignment/geometry issues have to do with how much you lower the car. The closer you are to factory the easier it is to adjust the alignment specs.

5-I have RSS components on my car (along with Bilstein Damptronics), and yes the car is stiffer than before. This is due to RSS parts having solid pieces where OEM factory pieces are rubber.

Hope this helps you out

Old 06-29-2010, 03:36 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Data:

Tanks in advance,

T.
if you will not track/auto-x/autosport your car a lot - there is no 'need' to get rid of stock shocks. just get eibach springs, put them on, get your maxed stock camber done as you stated and be done with it.
damptronics are good street COs but imho it is a waste of money as regular street ride does not 'need' to be stiffer and for dedicated track use damptronics are not stiff enough nor they come with correct springs for track so it is really an in-between solution that may work for some but honestly stock setup would serve you better in a long run and will keep you in your own stock class.

if you decide to rebuild suspension you may end up doing that jellis did and I do now - find very good shop and essentially do complete gt3 rs rebuild - lower arms, upper mounts, thrust arms, toe links, dogbones, whole setup without any rubber bushings left. it is stiff and not very street friendly. if you not sure if you need it or not and your car is your DD - do not do it, keep it closer to stock.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:59 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
Saw you at calabogie for the corporate track day!

PM me if you want to talk track mods. I have just competed mine.

I have some springs available too.

Last edited by atr911; 06-29-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:39 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by atr911
Saw you at calabogie for the corporate track day!

PM me if you want to talk track mods. I have just competed mine.

I have some springs available too.
what was the resolution on your JRZs issues?

Old 06-30-2010, 08:55 AM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Evidently, this is even more complicated than I tought... Damptronics or OEM GT3 setups seem like the best solutions. I tought I could just do a "quick & dirty" with springs but I am still worried about the alignment and, I am going to do all this, might as well look at the big picture.

Clearly I need to decide how much of a track oriented setup I want to go for and then look at my budget... These mods are racking up fast .

T.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Evolve is on a distinguished road
Data:

Tanks in advance,

T.
You have stated my same questions very clearly. Unfortunately, the solution is not so clear....

Old 09-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Suspension Questions