997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

911's are bad at drag racing....NOT !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:47 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
A complete sports car should fulfill multiple core competencies. Driving manners for daily use, track handling, acceleration from a roll. Drag racing (or launching from a standstill) is just another competency. Fortunately, Porsche has improved this particular aspect of the 911's abilities...in a way that does not abuse the clutch excessively. Stating that the 911 can't be launched from a line because it wasn't "meant for drag racing" is admitting that the 911 is an incomplete sports car.

Last edited by bbywu; 08-14-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
The Challenger isn't meant for drag racing either with it's weight, weight distribution, etc. A Porsche is better IMO>

Couple of questions though: Was it an SRT-8 manual or automatic (automatics tend to be quicker in the 6.1 cars).

Different final drive is questionable since that is a fairly rare mod. Was it tuned as well?

I would put a tuned, automatic 6.1 LX car against you from any speed from a roll except 45mph or 70mph....

Old 08-14-2010, 08:36 PM
ZoSo_DXB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
The Challenger isn't meant for drag racing either with it's weight, weight distribution, etc. A Porsche is better IMO>

Couple of questions though: Was it an SRT-8 manual or automatic (automatics tend to be quicker in the 6.1 cars).

Different final drive is questionable since that is a fairly rare mod. Was it tuned as well?

I would put a tuned, automatic 6.1 LX car against you from any speed from a roll except 45mph or 70mph....
It was an automatic with catbacks and an air intake. Not sure if it was tuned or not.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:32 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote=bbywu;2943304]A complete sports car should fulfill multiple core competencies. Driving manners for daily use, track handling, acceleration from a roll. Drag racing (or launching from a standstill) is just another competency. Fortunately, Porsche has improved this particular aspect of the 911's abilities...in a way that does not abuse the clutch excessively. Stating that the 911 can't be launched from a line because it wasn't "meant for drag racing" is admitting that the 911 is an incomplete sports car.[/quote]

I never used the word "incomplete" to describe the car but as long as you chose it .. it does bring up a point.

If the 997S was "complete" by YOUR definition--
("A complete sports car should fulfill multiple core competencies. Driving manners for daily use, track handling, acceleration from a roll. Drag racing (or launching from a standstill")

THEN --
There would only be ONE model in the 997 line up which could fullfill that "complete " definition.

AND -
There aren't. There are many (Gt2. Gt3. Gt3RS , 997S . 997 . 997tt , and all the Cabs)

Old 08-14-2010, 09:34 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by hgostanian
depends on who is in the drivers seat!
Not if you have the sports chrono...put it in sports plus and a granny could drag it!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:55 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I never used the word "incomplete" to describe the car but as long as you chose it .. it does bring up a point.
You should not assume that every post is in response to you.

If the 997S was "complete" by YOUR definition--
("A complete sports car should fulfill multiple core competencies. Driving manners for daily use, track handling, acceleration from a roll. Drag racing (or launching from a standstill")

THEN --
There would only be ONE model in the 997 line up which could fullfill that "complete " definition.

AND -
There aren't. There are many (Gt2. Gt3. Gt3RS , 997S . 997 . 997tt , and all the Cabs)
What makes one vehicle complete does not mean it can not be improved upon. Just because one version of the car is "complete" by "MY definition" does not mean that another "complete" car can not perform the same tasks better. If we followed your logic, there would never be any progress in the world.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:00 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
You should not assume that every post is in response to you.

What makes one vehicle complete does not mean it can not be improved upon. Just because one version of the car is "complete" by "MY definition" does not mean that another "complete" car can not perform the same tasks better. If we followed your logic, there would never be any progress in the world.
The 997S to me is the jock of all but the master of none .
It's not the best track car .
It's not the best street car.
It's not the fastest drag race car.

Even amongst its 997 siblings --it may lose in one category over another .

Yet it's popular , sells well, holds value. and balances the scale nicely with any of these tasks.

To me --that is progress.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The 997S to me is the jock of all but the master of none .
It's not the best track car .
It's not the best street car.
It's not the fastest drag race car.

Even amongst its 997 siblings --it may lose in one category over another .

Yet it's popular , sells well, holds value. and balances the scale nicely with any of these tasks.

To me --that is progress.
As I stated, complete ≠ no room for improvement. While the 997 CS is a complete sports car, it does not make it the best in every performance category.

Last edited by bbywu; 08-14-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:55 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
To me, a "complete" sports car not only accelerates well, it handles and brakes well also. That is what differentiates it from a muscle car or a boulevard cruiser. It also has minimal frills. IMHO the more you add the more the car becomes a GT as opposed to a true sports car. Again, IMHO, the 911 is the quintessential sports car. Some may out accelerate it, out handle or out brake it but no car combines these elements as well as the 911. Just my two cents.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:54 AM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
I believe most of us are aware that the Caymans are well balance and better handling than all 911 (yes, included 997). Why? because Caymans have their engine in the front!!!

I never pround of having engine in the back. Porsche know that very well but when they can sell the 911s as people crazy about it as it is, they will still produce cars with back engine set up.

However, Porsche has been doing a good job tuning their car better and better even they have the engine in the back!!!!! They also know very well that if they give Cayman the same engine as the 911 then Cayman will be a better car!!!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:01 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by exponential
I believe most of us are aware that the Caymans are well balance and better handling than all 911 (yes, included 997). Why? because Caymans have their engine in the front!!!

I never pround of having engine in the back. Porsche know that very well but when they can sell the 911s as people crazy about it as it is, they will still produce cars with back engine set up.

However, Porsche has been doing a good job tuning their car better and better even they have the engine in the back!!!!! They also know very well that if they give Cayman the same engine as the 911 then Cayman will be a better car!!!
Actually Caymans have a mid engine set up.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:28 AM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Opps ! Yes, thanks for the correction.

Last edited by exponential; 08-15-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:17 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
Porsche can go in a straight line.....

997TT S - 0-60 = 3.1 on Porsche website, as we have seen in the past typically down played so bet this car is a sub 3 second car...... meaning stock without a flash, without an exhaust, without slicks this car would walk many cars on the 1/4 strip quite easily.... Porsche in general (not just the 997s etc...) has always had the reputation as not being a drag car but these numbers are proving different IMO.... is porsche unleashing it's best and fastest now (gt2rs, turbo S, gt3rs, 918 spyder on its way.... etc.....all with some amazing performance...) knowing that VW may get in the way of future progress .... I hope not but the rumor mill has been generating....

Old 08-15-2010, 03:00 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I've had all kinds of morons try and race me. A Subaru WRX at 3 AM with his hot girlfriend in the passenger seat, about to be embarrassed, an Acura, a Honda Accord, a Mitsu Eclipse (up to about 120 mph, he was the dumbest of them all), all on public roads. Stupid. Yeah I have a 997.1 Carrera, probably 'small potatoes' compared to most gurus on this forum that have the 'S', the GT3, the Turbo, etc, but it's still a 3.6 with > 330 hp that I will take my chances with. And I really don't try and take anybody on until they start acting like they are trying to push me. Then I let 'em have it. And...I can honestly say I'm happy with what I have.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by chance6
I've had all kinds of morons try and race me. A Subaru WRX at 3 AM with his hot girlfriend in the passenger seat, about to be embarrassed, an Acura, a Honda Accord, a Mitsu Eclipse (up to about 120 mph, he was the dumbest of them all), all on public roads. Stupid.
It takes two to tango. If you don't approve, take the high ground and walk away.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911's are bad at drag racing....NOT !