997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Daily Driver... PDK or Manual?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 03:32 PM
frankie997 is on a distinguished road
My daily drive is from New Jersey into Philly each day. I would not ever think about an automatic. To be one with your engine and have complete control is like heaven!

Old 10-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Yossarian is infamous around these parts
Manual in SF

Originally Posted by Johnson184
Within the next year, I plan on picking up an 09 Carrera S. I'm now trying to figure out if I should get a stickshift or a paddleshifter. I've previously only driven automatics, but I've recently started learning how to stick shift. I understand for racing enthusiasts, the dual clutch should be faster around a track. I keep hearing about how awful stickshifts are compared to automatics for driving around the city. Is it really that bad? The only thing that worries me is having to shift the car into 1st at an uphill stoplight... with an oblivious car right next to your rear bumper.
Any of you guys want to give your 2 cents on which I should go with?

Oh... and I've started to fall in love with the Sand Beige interior. Is the dash all leather or does it have some plastic unless you get the leather interior upgrade?

P.S. Is it really true some carmakers are abandoning stickshifts completely? A buddy told me Ferrari and Lamborghini are all paddle shifters from here on out... was he joking? I'm not sure I believe him... since he's trying to get me to consider a GTR lol.

I live in SF, still love a manual. I know the double due hicky is faster, but screwing around a left hanger and dropping it down to 2nd is just a friggin joy.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:04 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Yossarian
I live in SF, still love a manual. I know the double due hicky is faster, but screwing around a left hanger and dropping it down to 2nd is just a friggin joy.
The double due hicky still allows you to select 2nd gear.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:24 PM
doncamero will become famous soon enoughdoncamero will become famous soon enough
The PDK in the Sport mode is so much like driving a manual transmission car only with an excellent driver making perfect shifts every time. Plus, you dont have to worry about that WRX taking you at the light or anywhere else for that matter. I was scare to lug the engine so never used all that bottom end torque the Turbo has until I noticed that the PDK will shift into 4th on a pretty steep hill at 37 mph and 1400 rpm in normal mode and it shifts into 7th gear at 43 mph!