997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

to PSE or not PSE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drspeed
Decided I've waited long enough. I'm getting an exhaust for my 09' C2 before turkey day.

I need a quiet mode. So the options are PSE retrofitted with the button or fabspeed with the wireless loud/quiet switch.

Fabspeed is less money as well as easier to install, but 2 things detract from that option for me - 1st and most importantly I don't like the sound as much as PSE (although its hard to tell on a video) and 2nd, if I ever happen to sell the exhaust separately after using it, there is much more of a market for PSEs than used Fabspeed equipment...

Also, my friend's GT3 Fabspeed cat just failed at 10k (although they are replacing it). I'd have more peace of mind with an OEM techquipment exhaust.

I've heard the gen I PSE and it sounds great. I've been told the gen II doesn't sound quite as good, but perhaps that's due to the direct injected engine, and that's a fair trade off.

Has anyone heard both the Fabspeed and PSE on a gen II 997? Looking for feedback. Also, is there a popular combination (like installing PSE with a secondary muffler bypass?) that would improve the sound of the PSE on loud without much penalty in the quiet mode?

Thanks for any input. I've been on the fence for a while. I'm getting it done now, just want to hear some suggestions...

DRP
Hi drspeed, I hope your purchase goes smoothly and either one will work as intended. Its just a matter of price, installation time and sound difference. Our setup is $2095 and I can also offer you a 6speed member discount on it. All of our products are covered by a lifetime warranty and manufactured from the highest quality mandrel bent stainless steel, so you will never have to worry about your muffler ever breaking. The installation is simple and straight forward, so its less time consuming. Also the sound difference between loud and quiet is much more noticeable and effective with the Fabspeed system. Let me know if you have any questions and goodluck with the purchase.
Thanks,

996/997 Valvetronic Maxflo Mufflers Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25yi3...layer_embedded

Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 PM
mathfuzzy is on a distinguished road
Sounds like it's too late to post, but I just ordered the AWE mufflers, bypass pipes and black tips.

Alex at Sharkwerks was WAY helpful when I was trying to figure out to do, but I didn't like the sound of the Tubi and thought that their bypass alone wasn't going to be enough. The AWE sound is exactly what I'm looking for.

Good luck with the PSE - I'd be very interested in hearing back about how happy you are with the result.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 PM
mozhacker will become famous soon enough
looking to add PSE too on my 08 997.1 C4S. Had a PSE on my 996 so know and love the sound.

problem and question for people that might be able to help - I called Sunset Porsche to order as in the past they'd always been lowest or good cost relative to local dealers in california.

Told me ~$3000 for the PSE which surprised me because last I checked they were selling for ~$1700. (they discount 300-400 off msrp). I asked and the parts guy told me there's a new PSE that replaced the old PSE, even for 05-08 year 997.1 models.

I thought the "new" PSE was for 09 and later models, with the other 997 version for 05-08 997.1 models.

Anyone know what the difference between the old and new PSE is? The price difference is pretty large - wondering why or how they differ.

thanks

Old 12-07-2010, 11:37 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
I'm PSE'd :)

Thank you for all the replies and information. I utilized the PCA coupon and got the gen II PSE for my 09' Carrera. I am very pleased with the result. Here is some initial feedback:

1) While the PSE supposedly offers no performance benefit over the stock exhaust on a Carrera S, my car is a 3.6 carrera, and there is a small but noticable improvement in performance relative to the stock 3.6 exhaust - it revs a little more freely and slightly smoother over 4k - whether the baffles are open or not.
2) The exhaust is only 4 days old. Its louder already than when I picked it up. I am hoping it will get louder still
3) The new tips will seemingly be very easy to maintain and keep clean. The DFI engines produce a lot of soot and I think the black pipe on these tips will hide the deposits very well.

The new switch on the dash is great. I'm smitten.

I added a heated 2010 style multifunction steering wheel and now a sport exhaust and sport button to the car. Two very enjoyable options that it seems a number of more expensive S's and 4S's don't have off the lot. I'm feeling a greater bond with my car as it becomes more of a personal reflection.

Thanks again for all the advice and feedback.

Happy holidays.
DRP

Old 12-07-2010, 07:16 PM
mathfuzzy is on a distinguished road
congratulations!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:51 AM
jimny is on a distinguished road
Nice! Congratz! Looks like you went all out and got a new steering wheel too!

Is the PSE noticeable on idle between on and off?

How long did the labor actually take?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:38 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jimny
Nice! Congratz! Looks like you went all out and got a new steering wheel too!

Is the PSE noticeable on idle between on and off?

How long did the labor actually take?
Yeah the steering wheel took 6 trips to the dealer. 1st the wrong wheel came in (for a pdk car), then multifunction didn't work. Needed a new module. Then MF worked, but no heat? Clever tech figured out it needed a new clockspring switch. After that was installed...all good.

The PSE baffles are open every time your start the car, so you get a growly deep start then they close 2-3 seconds later. At idle you can hear the difference hitting the exhaust button. the tone gets a bit deeper with a little rasp, but hardly any increased volume from inside the car. It'll be fun to hear the car with the windows down, roof open next spring. Right now I'd ice over doing that. I was told labor was 10-11 hours, but they would have charged 9 hours ordinarily.

Last thing. It is such a small detail, but I changed my badge to black. I noticed how much the badges stand out on the GTs and the new GTS and so I got a black Carrera badge. I love it. Best $20 spent on the car....I also did the alcantara shifter for the winter since its warmer to the touch on a cold morning.

Next change will be a set of Pilot Super Sports next spring...

Happy Holidays.
DRP

Attached Images   

Last edited by drspeed; 12-08-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:18 PM
SKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to all
I have an 09 C4S and ordered it with PSE. I drove it for a few months and wanted additional sound. I put the Fabspeed X pipe on myself, took about twenty minutes. For me, the sound is just what I wanted. At idle it is low and subdued, once you get on it, especially over 4,000 RPM it is fantastic.
I would highly recommend it for any PSE or non-PSC car.