997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

to PSE or not PSE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:42 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
to PSE or not PSE

Decided I've waited long enough. I'm getting an exhaust for my 09' C2 before turkey day.

I need a quiet mode. So the options are PSE retrofitted with the button or fabspeed with the wireless loud/quiet switch.

Fabspeed is less money as well as easier to install, but 2 things detract from that option for me - 1st and most importantly I don't like the sound as much as PSE (although its hard to tell on a video) and 2nd, if I ever happen to sell the exhaust separately after using it, there is much more of a market for PSEs than used Fabspeed equipment...

Also, my friend's GT3 Fabspeed cat just failed at 10k (although they are replacing it). I'd have more peace of mind with an OEM techquipment exhaust.

I've heard the gen I PSE and it sounds great. I've been told the gen II doesn't sound quite as good, but perhaps that's due to the direct injected engine, and that's a fair trade off.

Has anyone heard both the Fabspeed and PSE on a gen II 997? Looking for feedback. Also, is there a popular combination (like installing PSE with a secondary muffler bypass?) that would improve the sound of the PSE on loud without much penalty in the quiet mode?

Thanks for any input. I've been on the fence for a while. I'm getting it done now, just want to hear some suggestions...

DRP

Last edited by drspeed; 11-09-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:56 PM
akacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to behold
You dont like the Gundo Hack? After reading all about it here I had it done to my car. It cost about $400 at local muffler shop. I think it sounds great.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:23 PM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
love my pse...switch is great to turn off...quality obviously is top notch...4yr warranty...looks good (havent decided if i like generation 1 or 2 better as far as looks)...sounds gets much louder after a few thousand break in miles

Cant go wrong with Porsche OEM
The only other exahust I would consider is Tubi - but no switch

Old 11-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Weasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really nice
Originally Posted by P997S
love my pse...switch is great to turn off...quality obviously is top notch...4yr warranty...looks good (havent decided if i like generation 1 or 2 better as far as looks)...sounds gets much louder after a few thousand break in miles

Cant go wrong with Porsche OEM
The only other exahust I would consider is Tubi - but no switch
Ditto -- except my on/off switch is intentionally disabled so I can hear the PSE all the time. Luvin' it! I wouldn't mind it being a little louder but I'm afraid the bypass might be too much for me (I have a cab), so I won't fix what ain't broke.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:54 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
The PSE isn't my favorite but you can always use this with it (so far 5-6 guys with the PSE have combined it):
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=193

But if you're going to the trouble of changing the side mufflers I'd go with the Tubi system. Sounds so much better imho and it's ligther too:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=107

Old 11-10-2010, 09:49 AM
signature65 is on a distinguished road
I did a modified Gundo Hack.....I ran a pipe where the PSE pipe goes. Out from capped end to the outlet pipe. Sounds great, nice and quiet when I'm not on it and throaty when I stomp it! Cost me $150 at my local muffler shop.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:14 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
I had the Porsche OEM PSE added to my 09' C2S, granted it was not cheap but, the results were outstanding. (Plus the car still remained 100% stock). Comes with a new lower panel for your dash.....the works!! (And the sound........ohhhhh the sound.....)

Old 11-11-2010, 08:55 AM
mac300 is on a distinguished road
my car came with pse & i added awe cross over which is a great combination. for car with no pse already, would do all tubi or awe.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:34 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
I used to love the sound of my PSE, but I was looking for more sound, performance, and less weight so I switched to a full AWE system. I do miss the sound of PSE for sure...

I heard gundo on a car, and I'm sorry to say this but it sounds terrible! It sounds like a muscle car with a V10 engine rather than a Porsche

Old 11-28-2010, 07:14 PM
jimny is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by drspeed
Decided I've waited long enough. I'm getting an exhaust for my 09' C2 before turkey day.

I need a quiet mode. So the options are PSE retrofitted with the button or fabspeed with the wireless loud/quiet switch.

Fabspeed is less money as well as easier to install, but 2 things detract from that option for me - 1st and most importantly I don't like the sound as much as PSE (although its hard to tell on a video) and 2nd, if I ever happen to sell the exhaust separately after using it, there is much more of a market for PSEs than used Fabspeed equipment...

Also, my friend's GT3 Fabspeed cat just failed at 10k (although they are replacing it). I'd have more peace of mind with an OEM techquipment exhaust.

I've heard the gen I PSE and it sounds great. I've been told the gen II doesn't sound quite as good, but perhaps that's due to the direct injected engine, and that's a fair trade off.

Has anyone heard both the Fabspeed and PSE on a gen II 997? Looking for feedback. Also, is there a popular combination (like installing PSE with a secondary muffler bypass?) that would improve the sound of the PSE on loud without much penalty in the quiet mode?

Thanks for any input. I've been on the fence for a while. I'm getting it done now, just want to hear some suggestions...

DRP
What did you end up doing? I am in the same boat. Been doing a bunch of research too. Tubi is nice but it cost more than PSE and is none oem and has no switch. I think it might be too loud too. But that deep note is sweet Thinking of going the PSE route. Are you happy you did it?

Old 11-28-2010, 10:13 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
ended up getting the PSE, but its not installed yet.

Should be all in within 2 weeks.

DRP

Old 11-29-2010, 10:30 AM
jimny is on a distinguished road
Sent you a PM

Old 11-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I have the Fabspeed mufflers and x-pipe (with some other brand of headers) and I like it a lot. No switch though, and I don't know if that would substantially affect the sound.
But from what you've written, it sounds like you've already talked yourself in to the PSE. Granted I'm not sure that I agree with the logic of valuation of the aftermarket parts as being a sound discriminator, but I don't really think you can go wrong here...

Old 11-29-2010, 10:57 PM
dchou1107 can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by signature65
I did a modified Gundo Hack.....I ran a pipe where the PSE pipe goes. Out from capped end to the outlet pipe. Sounds great, nice and quiet when I'm not on it and throaty when I stomp it! Cost me $150 at my local muffler shop.
which shop was it? i have been looking for a shop in so.cal to do the gundo hack

Old 11-30-2010, 06:05 PM
signature65 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dchou1107
which shop was it? i have been looking for a shop in so.cal to do the gundo hack
Mesa Muffler on Harbor Blvd in Costa Mesa. They have done work for truspeed before. I took the mufflers off the car myself and they took about 2 hours to do the work. Good work and very fair price.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: to PSE or not PSE