997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Upgrading Multifunction Steearing wheel from 1.to 2.genearation 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 06:21 AM
dmislovi is on a distinguished road
Upgrading Multifunction Steearing wheel from 1.to 2.genearation 997

I have 997 carrera 4s 2008 1.generation manual transmition.
Is it possible to upgrade Multifunction Steearing wheel from 1.generation to 2.genearation?
Please see pictures.

Attached Images   
Old 11-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Kaz
Kaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the rough
Yes you can. You will have to purchase a .2 steering control module as well. Call Suncoast theyll let you know all the extras youll need for the conversion.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:26 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Kaz. It can be done, we can help you with the conversion. That steering wheel is currently not in stock, it would take a few months to get one. If you're intersted, please let me know.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 11-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Abdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the rough
Would one be able to upgrade from a .1 NON multi function steering wheel to a .2 NON multifunction steering wheel as well?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Kaz
Kaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the roughKaz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Abdon
Would one be able to upgrade from a .1 NON multi function steering wheel to a .2 NON multifunction steering wheel as well?

Yes, I did that. In fact mine was also a .1 tiptronic and I used a .2 pdk wheel, worked great.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:53 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
Both cases as posted in this thread can be done. Suncoast will hook you up with the parts and the control module.

If anyone needs a .2 PDK multifunction wheel, I do have one for sale that's never been used, link is in my sig

Old 04-14-2011, 10:56 AM
I just bought airbag and steering wheel 2. gen.multifunction. Multifunction doesnt work, i need 2. steering control module. do you know the part number 997.xxx.xxx.?

Old 04-14-2011, 12:26 PM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
Can you place custom orders through Suncoast? My interior is Carrera red. Was thinking about a .2 steering MF wheel with Carbon fiber, which I think would fall under a custom catagory. How much do these go for anyway?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:25 AM
I have 997 carrera 4s 2008 1.generation manual transmition with multifunction steering wheel.
I bougth multifunction steearing wheel 2010. Its plug and play, lights on wheel works (buttons iluminate) but multifunction buttons doesnt. Suncoastparts told me that i have to buy control unit too (because the steering wheel is 2.gen and i have 1.gen 997)
I have some questions?
1. Who knows the part number of control unit?
2. After installing control unit, do i need any activication or programing from Porsche

Old 04-18-2011, 01:11 PM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
So are we talking about a new control unit that goes under the seat? or is this an adapter that is housed inside the steering wheel?

Old 05-04-2011, 02:09 PM
chinsky will become famous soon enough
I was thinking of adding a multi function kit to my stock 997.1 wheel (and having it made thicker). I know this falls into the stupid question department but what functions does it control? (It's not clear to me from the manual.) Specifically I want it for audio so I can easily control volume, jump between pre-set radio stations and CD tracks (or CDs if I add a changer).

Alternatively, I am also wondering if I can swap out the 997.1 stock wheel for the 997.2 2010/11 GTS sport wheel. Anyone know if this can be done and will it require more than just a new wheel and airbag? Is this wheel the same diameter as the standard?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by chinsky; 05-05-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:45 AM
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
The part number you need is; 997.613.289.01
Before replacing the module, tiptronic gears worked but horn didn't. Hooked up the PIWIS, nothing. Then replaced the control module, everything is fine without a problem for the last 6 months.
I'm sure your dealer will be able to help you out. And yes, you will need the PIWIS support for activation and clearing up errors.
Good luck!

Originally Posted by dmislovi
I have 997 carrera 4s 2008 1.generation manual transmition with multifunction steering wheel.
I bougth multifunction steearing wheel 2010. Its plug and play, lights on wheel works (buttons iluminate) but multifunction buttons doesnt. Suncoastparts told me that i have to buy control unit too (because the steering wheel is 2.gen and i have 1.gen 997)
I have some questions?
1. Who knows the part number of control unit?
2. After installing control unit, do i need any activication or programing from Porsche

Last edited by eatbreathdrive; 05-05-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:19 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by silver329
So are we talking about a new control unit that goes under the seat? or is this an adapter that is housed inside the steering wheel?
The control module is mounted on the back of the turn/wiper signal assembly.
http://docwilenracing.wordpress.com/...el-completion/

Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 AM
richardaf will become famous soon enough
When exactly did the switch to the new multifunction steering wheel occur?

I have a 2009 997.2 (delivered in May 2009). The steering wheel is the older multifunction version. Anyone know when the chage occurred?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:28 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by richardaf
I have a 2009 997.2 (delivered in May 2009). The steering wheel is the older multifunction version. Anyone know when the chage occurred?
Seems like it was only a PDK wheel for '09, then also for MTs in '10, then turned "matte black/black leather" for '11.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Multifunction Steearing wheel from 1.to 2.genearation 997