997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Spark plugs & coils, need advice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Jay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to behold
Spark plugs & coils, need advice!

Hey guys, my 2006 997 S has been in service for 5 years now and just hit 30,000 miles. The manual calls for a spark plug change at 4 years so I figured the time is right to swap the coils and plugs. Some might find this premature based on miles, but I'm going to play it safe. Here is where I need some advice...... I'm finalizing an order with Suncoast for the plugs and coils. In doing some research, I found some spark plug cover seals and o-rings on Pelican parts. They are cheap parts and I want to make sure I don't need them to swap the plugs. It would be a shame to have my indy mechanic get everything opened up and realize I needed some $2.00 seals to complete the work! Here is a link to the Pelican page showing the available seals. (Halfway down page under "Spark Plug Cover Seal")

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...Elignt_pg1.htm

I'm hoping there are some 997 owners on here who have already swapped out their spark plugs. Did any of you guys need those seals or o-rings to do the plug change? Or do the new plugs simply drop in with the existing seals and o-rings without needing to replace them?

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated! Before I place my order with Ric at Suncoast, I want to make 100% certain that I have all of my bases covered.

Thanks,

Jay

Last edited by Jay Jones; 12-14-2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: text correction
Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Jay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Fastforwardwheels
Jay

give us a call we have certified Porsche technician that can do the install and we also can supply the parts as well...

323 262 7365
Hey, I appreciate the offer but I will be using my regular indy to do the work. I just want to make sure I have all of the necessary parts to complete the job properly.

Thanks,

Jay

Old 12-14-2010, 06:24 PM
OmegaMan will become famous soon enoughOmegaMan will become famous soon enough
Is it normal for the coils to go bad on the 997 after only 30k miles? This is the 2nd thread I have seen in 2 weeks about plugs and coils.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by OmegaMan
Is it normal for the coils to go bad on the 997 after only 30k miles? This is the 2nd thread I have seen in 2 weeks about plugs and coils.
I'm basically just playing it safe Omega. If I'm going to swap the plugs, it makes sense to do the coils at the same time. In one of those threads regarding plugs & coils, I saw photos of significant cracking on multiple coils. Since Porsche recommends changing the plugs at 4 years or 60,000 miles, I figure at 5 years it certainly can't hurt to knock out the work.

Jay

Old 12-14-2010, 08:49 PM
OmegaMan will become famous soon enoughOmegaMan will become famous soon enough
Makes sense. It is always better (and cheaper) to do it right the first time.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:50 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jay Jones
Hey guys, my 2006 997 S has been in service for 5 years now and just hit 30,000 miles. The manual calls for a spark plug change at 4 years so I figured the time is right to swap the coils and plugs. Some might find this premature based on miles, but I'm going to play it safe. Here is where I need some advice...... I'm finalizing an order with Suncoast for the plugs and coils. In doing some research, I found some spark plug cover seals and o-rings on Pelican parts. They are cheap parts and I want to make sure I don't need them to swap the plugs. It would be a shame to have my indy mechanic get everything opened up and realize I needed some $2.00 seals to complete the work! Here is a link to the Pelican page showing the available seals. (Halfway down page under "Spark Plug Cover Seal")

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...Elignt_pg1.htm

I'm hoping there are some 997 owners on here who have already swapped out their spark plugs. Did any of you guys need those seals or o-rings to do the plug change? Or do the new plugs simply drop in with the existing seals and o-rings without needing to replace them?

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated! Before I place my order with Ric at Suncoast, I want to make 100% certain that I have all of my bases covered.

Thanks,

Jay
When I did my plugs,I never changed those seals you are talking about and my plugs went in and worked with zero problems.But if you are worried about it,then buy the seals.....after-all they are C-H-E-A-P.

Cheers,

Stacy

Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I had the dealership do both my spark plugs and coils at 5 years/34k miles on my '05 997S. They said some of the coils were starting to crack so I had all six replaced, and I've heard this is relatively common from others' experiences on the board.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by justatoy
When I did my plugs,I never changed those seals you are talking about and my plugs went in and worked with zero problems.But if you are worried about it,then buy the seals.....after-all they are C-H-E-A-P.

Cheers,

Stacy
Thanks Stacy, I always appreciate your input!

Originally Posted by JTaylorGT
I had the dealership do both my spark plugs and coils at 5 years/34k miles on my '05 997S. They said some of the coils were starting to crack so I had all six replaced, and I've heard this is relatively common from others' experiences on the board.
Hey JTaylorGT, do you happen to have your dealership invoice handy for the plug/coil job? When they itemized the parts list, was there any mention of seals or o-rings? Just curious if Porsche normally swaps out those seals when they perform the plug swap.

Thanks,

Jay

Old 12-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Jay Jones
Hey JTaylorGT, do you happen to have your dealership invoice handy for the plug/coil job? When they itemized the parts list, was there any mention of seals or o-rings? Just curious if Porsche normally swaps out those seals when they perform the plug swap.
Jay - I can check for you when I get back in town Friday.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:02 PM
alexstjo is on a distinguished road
HI jay, I am in so cal also. Can you provide me the name of your indy?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Jay, doesn't look like there was mention of any seals or O-rings for the spark plugs. There is a charge of $1.31 for an aluminum seal ring but they only charged me for one so I think this is for the oil filter.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by alexstjo
HI jay, I am in so cal also. Can you provide me the name of your indy?
PM sent regarding my indy.

Originally Posted by JTaylorGT
Jay, doesn't look like there was mention of any seals or O-rings for the spark plugs. There is a charge of $1.31 for an aluminum seal ring but they only charged me for one so I think this is for the oil filter.
Thank you very much for checking your invoice, I sincerely appreciate it!

Jay