997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DME Range 1-3 denied warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
while looking for a car to buy this spring, I came upon a CPO 06S at a dealership. They were doing the CPO. I asked for a DME report and there were over-revs in all ranges. I went to a lot of trouble to determine if it was an issue, and after talking to PMNA, the tech at the out of state dealer, and techs at two local dealers, the consensus was that it was not a problem.
However, the deal wasn't good enough so I found a different car. This one is mint with over-revs in the first 3 zones, but not many in 3. This car was also CPOd
I'm not buying this story completely. Without knowing details, I might speculate that it was determined that the new owner broke the car.
Also, the owner probably did not have a good relationship with the servicing dealership.
I'm going out of my way to have a good rapport with the service guys, just in case I need some help down the road...

Originally Posted by jastx
Sad experience for a friend. Recently purchased a CPO 06 aero kit Carrera S from a private owner out of state. Had the out of state local Porsche dealer do a PPI including, on my recommendation, running a DME. Don't know why but my friend didn't know what to read and dealer gave the car a good report. The car had been serviced there by the current and previous owners and the Carfax showed regular servicings.

Has been driving it a few weeks and hears a noise. Major transmission issue. In conjunction with this, the home dealer in Tampa runs a DME and sees some recent overrevs in the 1-3 range. Denies CPO warranty claim and so does Porsche, including denying goodwill.

This dealer was totally uncooperative and says forums like this saying Ranges 1-3 are not issues are "full of $hit".

Another piece of this -- that may get resolved -- is the dealer told Porsche the overrevs were in the 1-4 range where actually range 3 was the highest. My friend was playing with the Sport Chrono timer and trying to run some 0-60 times.

Unfortunately the DME also showed ignitions in all ranges, but not recent. Had my friend read and understood the DME he would have walked on the deal. IMO the local Porsche authorized dealer he engaged to do a PPI to protect him from just this occurrence did him wrong and should be liable somehow, especially since a DME was specifically requested. This PPI dealer should have reviewed it with him.

Any comments on this situation and about what the Tampa dealer claimed regarding ranges 1-3?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:57 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
I would take the CPO warranty with a grain of salt.

My PSE mufflers had suffered rattles from broken welds. I always had my car serviced at the dealer. PCNA denied muffler replacement and told me to pound salt.

My CPO warranty is up and I'm either going to go elsewhere for service or do the basic maintenance myself.

Not an encouraging show of faith from Porsche. Disappointing, to say the least. I took a long time finding the options I wanted + CPO and it turns out CPO didn't mean jack ****.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I had a good experience on an 02 996 CPO private party sale a few years ago. The secondary cats developed a rattle. Porsche of the village replaced them with no issue.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:29 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Jack667
I'm going out of my way to have a good rapport with the service guys, just in case I need some help down the road...

If your dealer service guys are my dealer service guys, then it is a night and day thing from this story. They have been excellent in my opinion and really nice people that have so far made having this car a pleasure - not that they have really had to do much for me that I didn't ask for and pay for, but the feeling I always get is that they are all about customer satisfaction.

That said, I also think this is not the whole story. I wonder what "major transmission issue" means?

Old 12-18-2010, 12:23 AM
jastx is infamous around these parts
To clarify some misunderstandings....

My friend had a PPI done on this car by an authorized Porsche dealer, including having the dealer do a DME. Now that he knows how to interpret it -- too late -- the PPI DME does show overrevs in all ranges. The PPI dealer did not inform him of this.

Since buying the car he has played with the sport chrono clock and his first high-performance Porsche (his previous was a '78 SC), trying to see if he could match the claimed 0-60 times for the car. Anyone here play with their Sport Chrono like that?

The Porsche dealer that did the PPI said they knew the car, that the current owner (prior to my friend) and the owner before him had the car serviced there (Carfax verified consistent servicings) and maintained the car well. The PPI dealer said the car was cherry. It looked cherry, so my friend bought it. The car had almost 60,000 miles on it after being driven home. So, he had the LOCAL dealer do an expensive 60,000 mile service where no problems were identified. The problem was noticed shortly after that service. His LOCAL dealer determined that the transmission was damaged. They ran a DME so now there are two. It showed some recent overrevs in ranges 1-3, probably when my friend was trying for the best 0-60 times. All of the overrevs in ranges 4-6 were still the same counts as when the PPI DME was run. Nevertheless, the dealer in conjunction with Porsche denied warranty on this issue.

Yes, my friend is guilty of some overrevs in ranges 1-3 since purchasing the car -- it's obvious comparing the prepurchase and recent DME's. To me, range 3 is pretty darn high but I understand from this forum and others that it is generally not considered devastating. My local dealer says this as well. For all I know the recent overrevs could have been done by the dealer personnel during the 60k service.

I think he tried to do the right thing -- engage a Porsche dealer for a PPI to for an expert assessment of the car before buying, and use his LOCAL Porsche dealer for the 60k service and build the relationship...some relationship. He has not gotten what he deserves from the dealers and, in my opinion, the dealer that did the PPI was neglegent in not disclosing the results of the DME and what they meant.

Last edited by jastx; 12-18-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Sounds to me like your buddy wasn't informed of what te report meant and didn't bother to ask. He bought a dogged out car.

Then, he beat on it hard. You'd don't get level 3 by acceleration. You get it by missing shifts.

The whole 0-60 thing seems strange as you can easily get to 60 in second gear before hitting a stage 1. In that case a missed shift wouldn't happen. If your buddy added some level 3's then he dis something else wrong.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
This doesn't pass my smell test.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I try to be fair with my dealer and the service tech that works on my car. They in turn have been more than fair with me. They even got the district rep involved in a car that I had not purchased from them.

It's interesting to see the range of experiences among members and their dealers.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:38 PM
jastx is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
This doesn't pass my smell test.
Could you please explain what doesn't pass your test? Can't tell if you think the dealer is fishy or my friend. The DME facts are clear: the car did have significant overrevs to range six in the PPI, then prior to the second DME after the problem occurred some overrevs were added in range 1-3. What smells?

Last edited by jastx; 12-18-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:22 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
"The problem was noticed shortly after that service. His LOCAL dealer determined that the transmission was damaged."

Don't mean to be a butt, but I'm still curious about the "problem" and transmission damage - what does that really mean specifically, if you know?

Sounds like the dealer thinks the car was abused. Wonder why? Bummer story though. I reckon if he really believes the dealer/PCNA is wrong, he'll probably have to talk to a lawyer. Otherwise, he just has to fix it and move on.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:34 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Interesting that there are over revs - that are predomninantly caused by misshifts - and the transmission is bad. Frankly, over a year of reading this board, I've never heard of a blown tranny. As said the car was dogged and seemingly disclosed, the owner beat on it and it broke. No, I've never used my timer to measure 0-60 runs. Would be pretty impractical given the need to focus on shifting and that the time should be only 5 sec. A fair comment is that the dealer that did the PPI should have alerted him to the condition of the DME and possibility of invalidating the warranty. But, knowledge is power, should have done the research. If this was a CPO of a Porsche lot, then there is a lot to complain about. Owner tried to save money, but didn't have enough knowledge to avoid the risks of a PP sale. Unfortunate lesson to learn.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:48 AM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
yeah, the '0-60' runs are probably what wrecked the tranny, the previous dme overrevs have nothing to do with it. Pretty simple, you bring a car into the dealership with a blown transmission and the dme shows level 3 overrevs happend in the last few minutes of use, probably would make me think abuse of car. If your friend talked to the service manager and acted like its normal and expected to try to time your 0-60 runs with the sport chrono (like you seem to infer it's normal), then pretty much anyone's spidey sense would go off and say this driver doesn't know how to treat his car properly.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:17 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Something is amiss here. Why the need for downshifts if you were doing 0 to 60 acceleration pulls?? These kind of over revs happen the other way round dont they....on crazy mis rev matched down shifting. That is abuse. The ecu doesnt lie unfortunately where the revs and time of occurance is concerned. Btw what was the symptoms of the tranny?

Old 12-21-2010, 04:25 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
i luv this thread

maybe third to forth miss?he went back to second? I havent driven my car lately, so im not remembering the pattern of my subi or 997

Old 12-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by speed21
Something is amiss here. Why the need for downshifts if you were doing 0 to 60 acceleration pulls?? These kind of over revs happen the other way round dont they....on crazy mis rev matched down shifting. That is abuse. The ecu doesnt lie unfortunately where the revs and time of occurance is concerned. Btw what was the symptoms of the tranny?
You can easily miss a shift going up. 2nd instead of 4th, 3rd instead of 5th.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DME Range 1-3 denied warranty