997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DME Range 1-3 denied warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:00 AM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
i'm picturing this poor guy furiously red-lining his car, dumping the clutch, and smoothly shifting all the while trying to accurately watch the speedo and work the sport chrono, all in under 5 seconds

Old 12-21-2010, 08:40 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
Interesting that there are over revs - that are predomninantly caused by misshifts - and the transmission is bad. Frankly, over a year of reading this board, I've never heard of a blown tranny.
Ian from UK broke off a teeth from his 1st gear - this requires complete tranny replacement - a warning to those who likes to drop off clutch at 5K rpm.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:42 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
You can easily miss a shift going up. 2nd instead of 4th, 3rd instead of 5th.
i've already hit 60 mph in 2nd gear...

no need for 3rd, 4th or 5th gear in 0-60

on side note:
its not easy to get good 0-60 times in manual.
i've dropped the hammer one time and got so much axle hop i thought i broke the car in half
for people who care about 0-60, i'd def recommend the PDK

to OP:
ur friend should get a PDK next time, too.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:26 PM
jastx is infamous around these parts
Good point about only first and second needed for 60. Got more info -- just 9 ignitions in range 3. According to my friend, no downshifts involved in his runs and no missed downshifts in his short ownership. Dealer says tranny case is cracked.

I feel bad for the guy because he did all the right things to have the car professionally assessed by an authorized dealer prior to buying and even though a DME was run, the results were not reviewed with him and the car was given a clean bill of health. That, with the CPO until 2012 convinced him to buy. Anyway, the conversation with Porsche isn't over yet. We'll see. It's a shame he didn't know then what he knows about DME now.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:22 AM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jastx
Good point about only first and second needed for 60. Got more info -- just 9 ignitions in range 3. According to my friend, no downshifts involved in his runs and no missed downshifts in his short ownership. Dealer says tranny case is cracked.
The quickest way to get a stage three is to blow an up shift from second to third and catch first instead of third. I don't know whether that could crack a transmission case, but if anything internal can, that might well be one way. I honestly don't know what could for all love. The case looks like it is built "hell for stout" as we used to say. An exploding gear or shaft might do it, but I would expect that to take longer than nine ignitions. Just intuition of course. Not doing any arithmetic either way. It does nag at me that a modern part like that transmission case is designed with computer analysis to put all the strength where it is needed and take away the surplus mass in other areas. Light weight is a mantra in sports car engineering, as it is in aerospace.

Now if someone showed me a transmission case that was cracked and I noticed the car had a recent episode in range three... Well, that does indicate a reverse torque flow remember. That is, the wheels are driving the engine into a rev range the engine management computer will not let it reach from power pulses. Imposed suddenly by popping the clutch on a speed shift that hit first instead of third, that load might drive one of the shafts or gears into failure or carry the load into the case in a direction and at a magnitude the case was not designed to accept. All in the brief interval before an alert driver could get the clutch disengaged again.

Absent factory design data on the gear faces and shaft support structure, and absent other evidence of a cause, I would assume the gearset was overloaded that way -- unless someone paid for a forensic analysis of the components to support a more firm conclusion. And... well, you could buy that new GTS I'm expecting to win in the PCA Raffle today for the cost of such an analysis. More likely a Turbo S to be honest. Forensic engineering analysis is very cost effective. When you're making decisions in the range of tens of millions and up. Not so much for warranty questions. I mean, what's at stake here? Twenty kay? Surely no more than thirty.

Probably time for your friend to bite the bullet on paying something and try to negotiate a reduced price for the new transmission from PCNA and maybe a labor-at-cost bargain with the dealer.

Trying to recover anything from the dealer who did the PPI is useless with that DME evidence of recent abuse.

Gary

Old 12-22-2010, 04:35 AM
putput6 is infamous around these parts

Last edited by putput6; 05-28-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:07 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
It is difficult to understand all this especially since the reports are not coming from the owner but a 3rd party and we've been getting the story piecemeal. If there were no overrevs in range 3 in the PPI report then generally a buyer (even if he knew what to ask) shouldn't be overly concerned since ranges 1 and 2 usually come from bumping up against the electronic rev limiter. If the range 3 overrevs occurred post-PPI then the owner might expect a dealer to use that evidence as a reason to deny any warranty claim. As others have mentioned, alot depends on the dealer and the relationship the owner has with that dealer. Hard to believe that approx 0.03 second in rpms between 7700 and 7900 could break a transmission - something is amiss.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Yossarian is infamous around these parts
[quote=ryem3;3071020]Interesting that there are over revs - that are predomninantly caused by misshifts - and the transmission is bad. Frankly, over a year of reading this board, I've never heard of a blown tranny. quote]

of course you have... "I" blew a shift fork at 2800 miles .