997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DME Range 1-3 denied warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:33 PM
jastx is on a distinguished road
DME Range 1-3 denied warranty

Sad experience for a friend. Recently purchased a CPO 06 aero kit Carrera S from a private owner out of state. Had the out of state local Porsche dealer do a PPI including, on my recommendation, running a DME. Don't know why but my friend didn't know what to read and dealer gave the car a good report. The car had been serviced there by the current and previous owners and the Carfax showed regular servicings.

Has been driving it a few weeks and hears a noise. Major transmission issue. In conjunction with this, the home dealer in Tampa runs a DME and sees some recent overrevs in the 1-3 range. Denies CPO warranty claim and so does Porsche, including denying goodwill.

This dealer was totally uncooperative and says forums like this saying Ranges 1-3 are not issues are "full of $hit".

Another piece of this -- that may get resolved -- is the dealer told Porsche the overrevs were in the 1-4 range where actually range 3 was the highest. My friend was playing with the Sport Chrono timer and trying to run some 0-60 times.

Unfortunately the DME also showed ignitions in all ranges, but not recent. Had my friend read and understood the DME he would have walked on the deal. IMO the local Porsche authorized dealer he engaged to do a PPI to protect him from just this occurrence did him wrong and should be liable somehow, especially since a DME was specifically requested. This PPI dealer should have reviewed it with him.

Any comments on this situation and about what the Tampa dealer claimed regarding ranges 1-3?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Usually, range 1-3 ignitions are not a big deal. That said, you can't purchase a CPO vehicle from a private party. It's not transferable even if a dealer does a PPI. Since it's an 06 vehicle, it may well be out of factory warranty which means your friend is out of luck. While I don't care for the dealer's apparent attitude, perhaps there's more to the story.........sorry

Old 12-16-2010, 07:47 PM
jimny is on a distinguished road
Isn't over revs usually a reason for denial of engine warranty rather than a transmission?

Old 12-16-2010, 08:26 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Usually, range 1-3 ignitions are not a big deal. That said, you can't purchase a CPO vehicle from a private party. It's not transferable even if a dealer does a PPI. Since it's an 06 vehicle, it may well be out of factory warranty which means your friend is out of luck. While I don't care for the dealer's apparent attitude, perhaps there's more to the story.........sorry
Sorry, CPOs are fully transferable among private parties. CPOs are no longer valid if the car is resold by a dealer, either Porsche or independent. This sounds like a lack of complete information. If the PPI was provided and the DME showed range 6 ignitions, the warranty was likely invalidated. If the dealer that did the PPI substantiated that the warranty is valid, they should be sued. It doesn't sound like that is the case.
The story is contradictory. At first you said ignitions only 1-3, then later you say it had ignitions in all ranges that happened a while ago. Was there a phony DME report or a DME report with 1-6 ignitions. If there were, then the PPI should have told the future owner that the car is likely not to have a CPO warranty. Ignorance is to blame here, the question is whose and is there associated liability.

Last edited by ryem3; 12-16-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:14 PM
OmegaMan will become famous soon enoughOmegaMan will become famous soon enough
While I am fairly new to the 911's, I have been searching and talking to a few dealers and everyone has told me the following: Any over rev's higher that a range 2 will void the warranty and make a vehicle not eligible for a CPO.

Is it possible the dealer and the owner were in on the deal together? Did the seller unload the 06 in order to get a newer vehicle from the dealer?

It does not look good for the owner.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Usually, range 1-3 ignitions are not a big deal. That said, you can't purchase a CPO vehicle from a private party. It's not transferable even if a dealer does a PPI. Since it's an 06 vehicle, it may well be out of factory warranty which means your friend is out of luck.

Cpo is transferrable via private sale. You just need to file the paperwork with Pna.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Sorry, CPOs are fully transferable among private parties. CPOs are no longer valid if the car is resold by a dealer, either Porsche or independent. This sounds like a lack of complete information. If the PPI was provided and the DME showed range 6 ignitions, the warranty was likely invalidated. If the dealer that did the PPI substantiated that the warranty is valid, they should be sued. It doesn't sound like that is the case.
The story is contradictory. At first you said ignitions only 1-3, then later you say it had ignitions in all ranges that happened a while ago. Was there a phony DME report or a DME report with 1-6 ignitions. If there were, then the PPI should have told the future owner that the car is likely not to have a CPO warranty. Ignorance is to blame here, the question is whose and is there associated liability.
+1 --took the words right out of my mouth .

Old 12-17-2010, 05:47 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jastx
Sad experience for a friend. Recently purchased a CPO 06 aero kit Carrera S from a private owner out of state. Had the out of state local Porsche dealer do a PPI including, on my recommendation, running a DME. Don't know why but my friend didn't know what to read and dealer gave the car a good report. The car had been serviced there by the current and previous owners and the Carfax showed regular servicings.

Has been driving it a few weeks and hears a noise. Major transmission issue. In conjunction with this, the home dealer in Tampa runs a DME and sees some recent overrevs in the 1-3 range. Denies CPO warranty claim and so does Porsche, including denying goodwill.

This dealer was totally uncooperative and says forums like this saying Ranges 1-3 are not issues are "full of $hit".

Another piece of this -- that may get resolved -- is the dealer told Porsche the overrevs were in the 1-4 range where actually range 3 was the highest. My friend was playing with the Sport Chrono timer and trying to run some 0-60 times.

Unfortunately the DME also showed ignitions in all ranges, but not recent. Had my friend read and understood the DME he would have walked on the deal. IMO the local Porsche authorized dealer he engaged to do a PPI to protect him from just this occurrence did him wrong and should be liable somehow, especially since a DME was specifically requested. This PPI dealer should have reviewed it with him.

Any comments on this situation and about what the Tampa dealer claimed regarding ranges 1-3?
if your friend has original PPI papers they should have DME printout made at that time. I do have those.

If his current DME does match to what was before and indeed does show only 1-3 ranges then he should fight with PCNA and try to escalate this.

from devil advocate perspective DME readings alone hardly could be a sole reason to deny a warranty claim, and usually in such cases whole picture may be more complicated.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:35 AM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
My friend was playing with the Sport Chrono timer and trying to run some 0-60 times.

hmmm...

Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OmegaMan
While I am fairly new to the 911's, I have been searching and talking to a few dealers and everyone has told me the following: Any over rev's higher that a range 2 will void the warranty and make a vehicle not eligible for a CPO.

Is it possible the dealer and the owner were in on the deal together? Did the seller unload the 06 in order to get a newer vehicle from the dealer?

It does not look good for the owner.
I have an 08 turbo with overrevs in all ranges (very few in ranges 4-6) that dealer CPO'd - dealer gave me DME readout that shows overrevs existed at time of purchase and CPO. Appears to have occurred early in its life - now have 18,000 miles and no issues. So I guess it depends on the dealer.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:32 PM
monojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nice
CPO is transferable from private party.
The warranty is on the car. Not the owner.
You don't need to file paperwork with Porsche.

I know this from experience.

I bought my car from a private party with remaining CPO.
I have no special paperwork. My dealer sees it on their dealer network information system.
My dealer has honored the CPO warranty on my car.

Porsche covered my engine replacement under the CPO.

The car had over revs in ranges 1-4.
Quite a few in 1-3. Very few in 4.

I had a PPI DME report that showed that the previous owner was the one that did all the over revs. The dealer even told Porsche that I DE the car.

I now have a new engine with a 2 year warranty.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
My 09 CS showed revs in ranges 1-3. Something like 6 in range 3 with very few in 1 and 2. The car was CPOd by the dealer I purchased it from.

Hope it works out for your friend

Old 12-17-2010, 04:39 PM
cb333 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by monojohn
CPO is transferable from private party.
The warranty is on the car. Not the owner.
You don't need to file paperwork with Porsche.

I know this from experience.

I bought my car from a private party with remaining CPO.
I have no special paperwork. My dealer sees it on their dealer network information system.
My dealer has honored the CPO warranty on my car.
this is how i understand it too.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:10 PM
alan000 is on a distinguished road
Just a quick question: is there a way to tell *when* the overrevs occurred? i.e. pre- versus post- purchase

Last edited by alan000; 12-17-2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: edit
Old 12-17-2010, 07:27 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alan000
Just a quick question: is there a way to tell *when* the overrevs occurred? i.e. pre- versus post- purchase
The hour readout only tells the engine hour of the last over rev so if there are 500 range 1 over revs at hour 300 all you know for sure is that an over rev occurred at that hour just not how many - all could have happened then or just some. Just be sure to get a dme readout before you buy to establish a baseline and whether over revs existed pre purchase.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DME Range 1-3 denied warranty