997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Will the 991 be more technology based ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:34 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gloves
But that is NOT what sells cars. True car fans that want light and fast are a very, very small amount of who cars get sold too. So cars will get better gadgets over time, they just have to keep the weight down in other ways.
Meh, if a buyer wants gadgets get a Lexus. IMO 911 buyers put a higher premium on non-technology benefits such as handling, response, speed rather than autodimming mirrors, doorsill lighting, voice controlled interface, navigation.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:40 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
When I first started shopping for a 911 (in 2008) I was comparing a 2002 996 to my 330i. I remarked to the salesman how rudimentary the NAV system seemed in the 996. His response was, "Porsche has and always will be about performance. They add technology that is proven and enhances the driving experience. If you want the latest in car tech then maybe Porsche isn't for you."

He was/is right, at least IMHO. Porsche will add tech to its cars (maybe quicker in the Panamera and Cayenne than the 911) as it is proven and enhances the driving experience, with the emphasis on driving. While Panameras and Cayennes may pay the bills, I feel that Porsche continues to embrace the enthusiast driver by offering the many variations of the 911 that are in the current line up.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:42 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=NorthVan;3093936]I think that you should get an iPhone, they are great.

Ed,

I was gonna get an iphone for the wife and I last year, but verizon didnt carry it Now with the news from verizon I think Im gonna do it!!!
Whoop! LOL

Old 01-14-2011, 12:49 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=jjc4scab;3094300]
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I think that you should get an iPhone, they are great.

Ed,

I was gonna get an iphone for the wife and I last year, but verizon didnt carry it Now with the news from verizon I think Im gonna do it!!!
Whoop! LOL
Now if I can only convince you to take your car on the track. It might actually start to feel like a Porsche.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:50 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=NorthVan;3094303]
Originally Posted by jjc4scab

Now if I can only convince you to take your car on the track. It might actually start to feel like a Porsche.

No LOOP I think I need one to run??????

Old 01-14-2011, 01:02 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by adias
More technology based? What does that mean? Car tech is a great chassis and a great motor. Anything else is fluff. The 'tech-laden' cars these days are lounges on wheels with part-time drivers. A very bad thing. Their intrinsic car tech is nothing to write home about. Good grief!
Tech can be all sorts of things. At one point ABS was new tech, now common. PDK is new tech. The continuous computer monitored control of the DFI engine is remarkable to deliver great power and great gas mileage. I say not fluff at all. It all makes for a spectacular car.

Look at the directions Porsche is heading with the 918 and GT3 R H hybrid technology cars - these high priced example cars are the 959s of our day, a car hailed as being the most technologically advanced road-going sports car ever built and the harbinger of the future of sports cars.

At any rate, the 997 is already a very high-tech car - the new model will surely be all that and more...while hopefully remaining to be a 911.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:29 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
While I agree with you in principle, the fact remains that we must share the road with others that can't drive. I look forward to the coming day when technology drives these cars for them and it's coming sooner than we think (already have self parking, distance controlling cruise control, etc.). But that is not what Porsche's are about, they are designed for people who can drive which is probably why they haven't put emphasis on the gadgetry. However, I'm sure the new Porsche/VW combination is going to lead to more and more technology gadgets. Heck, just look at how many buttons are in a Panamera!

Having a career in tech, I honestly believe the coming decade is going to be about tech integration, usability, and efficiency. The iPhone has already got the ball rolling in that direction and it's going to make a lot of lives better.
But that assumes that those people know how to turn on and operate the nannies...

Re the Panamera buttons... I suspect it does not have more functions than a Carrera w/ SC. It's just that the layout (GUI) is top level - more buttons, as opposed to a tiered interface à la iDrive. It's a design choice that makes access to the function more directly. Any GUI change will always elicit a reaction.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:55 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
But that assumes that those people know how to turn on and operate the nannies...

Re the Panamera buttons... I suspect it does not have more functions than a Carrera w/ SC. It's just that the layout (GUI) is top level - more buttons, as opposed to a tiered interface à la iDrive. It's a design choice that makes access to the function more directly. Any GUI change will always elicit a reaction.
if porsche is a race car they could offer more things any custom ECU can do - switchable maps, launch control in 6sp, shifting assist lights, etc.
in current stock form is neihter here nor there. kinda racing, kinda street with pointless SC hump in the dashboard.

what cattman did a while ago was nice feature they could offer by default - a multigauge display to show any custom info from sensors they have.
deal is - PCM is already a major computer in there, it can do everything, it is just a matter to write a proper code to show it.
same as to have a daylight sensor providing day/night info to ECU but not have a relay to allow automatic headbeams operation. just stupid oversights.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:17 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by utkinpol
if porsche is a race car they could offer more things any custom ECU can do - switchable maps, launch control in 6sp, shifting assist lights, etc.
in current stock form is neihter here nor there. kinda racing, kinda street with pointless SC hump in the dashboard.

what cattman did a while ago was nice feature they could offer by default - a multigauge display to show any custom info from sensors they have.
deal is - PCM is already a major computer in there, it can do everything, it is just a matter to write a proper code to show it.
same as to have a daylight sensor providing day/night info to ECU but not have a relay to allow automatic headbeams operation. just stupid oversights.
I agree. Although I would like it to stay a sports car for the driver, simple things like mentioned above are available are cars that cost 1/4 what these do and dont really add weight as its just code for the PCM that is already there.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:34 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Porsche needs to stay Porsche, maybe they should even consider going a step back in certain areas and that means to preserve a bit of old school in each model. Porsche is the only hope left. the 458, GT-R etc. are going down a path i don`t like at all.
they all become fully computerized toys with less soul and i don`t want no playstation, i prefer a real man´s car, i want communication, involvement, with a bit of danger and full of soul.

OLD SCHOOL FEELING FTW!

Old 01-14-2011, 02:39 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
Porsche needs to stay Porsche, maybe they should even consider going a step back in certain areas and that means to preserve a bit of old school in each model. Porsche is the only hope left. the 458, GT-R etc. are going down a path i don`t like at all.
they all become fully computerized toys with less soul and i don`t want no playstation, i prefer a real man´s car, i want communication, involvement, with a bit of danger and full of soul.

OLD SCHOOL FEELING FTW!
I can understand that but cars need to move into the future, and staying basic is not how that is going to happen. But the way they have evolved the 911 over the years makes it the only car of its type left. Some day it too will change and be more tech less about the old ways, but thats not around the this corner just yet.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:54 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow

OLD SCHOOL FEELING FTW!
Couldn't agree more. When I drove the GTR, I felt like I was playing Gran Turismo but instead of PS3 it was real life. So many buttons left me bewildered. I don't want to drive a computer, I don't need fancy LED tachometers like the LFA. Hell, I'd be happy with manual windows and seats to tell you the truth. The rain-sensing wipers are a joke.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:02 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
More technology based? What does that mean? Car tech is a great chassis and a great motor. Anything else is fluff. The 'tech-laden' cars these days are lounges on wheels with part-time drivers. A very bad thing. Their intrinsic car tech is nothing to write home about. Good grief!
1) What it means is that the new generation of drivers don't really want to drive . They would rather be text messaging and driving gets in the way of that . That what I understood from the Hyndai exec interview and I don't know if he's right but the trend does hint at high tech cars in all categories .. even the Porsche 911 .

So how can a car liker the porsche 911 compete when its original focus was on driving ? Now in Porsches favor is that they do seem to defy all odds at creaing success . They built the Cayenne when SUV's were slumping and succeded . They built the Panamera when gasoline was 4 bucks a gallon and succeded .

The only problem is that at 100+K ( and climbing ) or so per car the technology will become dated so quickly that the rest of the car can't evolve as fast.

Example --That is what happened with the high tech large BMW's of the past when resale values plummeted . Does anyone really want the old I drive in the formerly 80K BMW ? Does the original owner even want to keep that type of car if his primary interest was technology? Will this effect long term ownership of Porsches if the new breed of consumer is more attention deficit ?
Also what happens if Porsche opts for short term leasing ? Will the flock of Porsche owners simply chase the next car that's spicy in the moment ?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:07 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
1) What it means is that the new generation of drivers don't really want to drive . They would rather be text messaging and driving gets in the way of that . That what I understood from the Hyndai exec interview and I don't know if he's right but the trend does hint at high tech cars in all categories .. even the Porsche 911 .

So how can a car liker the porsche 911 compete when its original focus was on driving ? Now in Porsches favor is that they do seem to defy all odds at creaing success . They built the Cayenne when SUV's were slumping and succeded . They built the Panamera when gasoline was 4 bucks a gallon and succeded .

The only problem is that at 100+K ( and climbing ) or so per car the technology will become dated so quickly that the rest of the car can't evolve as fast.

Example --That is what happened with the high tech large BMW's of the past when resale values plummeted . Does anyone really want the old I drive in the formerly 80K BMW ? Does the original owner even want to keep that type of car if his primary interest was technology? Will this effect long term ownership of Porsches if the new breed of consumer is more attention deficit ?
Also what happens if Porsche opts for short term leasing ? Will the flock of Porsche owners simply chase the next car that's spicy in the moment ?
PAG knows how to take care of itself. They already sell more Panameras and Cayennes than sports cars. The 911 and the other sports cars may evolve into GT moving lounges but that will mean the end of their existence as true sports cars. There are still young guys with the soul and interest of a sports car driver, biut there are fewer and fewer. I long observed that more and more 911 buyers have one solely for its image and are less than proficient driving them as they were meant to be driven.

For some of us, the sports car we love already exists and newer models will diverge - for the worse - from that.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:13 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up +1

Originally Posted by surfah
More gadgets=more stuff to break.

Lighter weight and more HP is what I wish for.
^^^^^
This...

New Green performance air filter 996:
Green perfomance air filter for 996

New Schnell inhaler kit 996/997:
NIB Schnell Cold Air Inhaler w/caps

Mint “used” (600 mi.) Schnell inhaler kit 996/997:
Schnell Cold Air Inhaler w/caps & instructions

Sweet Callaway Tungsten Titanium clubs set:
Callaway GBB Tungsten/Ti golf clubs set...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will the 991 be more technology based ?