997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Looking at a 997S.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:21 AM
robsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks very much for the responses.
A low mileage beauty is always attractive....but the low miles is a concern. If a problem might or might not be lurking, it may not have appeared yet in those 12000 miles. I'm not going to rush into it. This will be (if I bite) my 16th Porsche over the past 40 years. I've just been a 356, 911, 993 guy and this would be my first 997.
I'd like to sell my current 911 and my 40 Ford streetrod and replace them with one "toy".
A pic of my two "toys".......

Attached Images    
Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 AM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I've owned my '05 997S for two years now with no mechanical issues - only been to the shop for routine maintenance. I bought the car just after the factory warranty expired and it had 25k miles. I've never seriously considered an aftermarket warranty because I don't think you really need it with these cars. If I had bought it, I still would never have used it. A warranty would help with IMS and RMS issues if they arise, but I'm not worried about it. My car is driven routinely and I use the full RPM range to keep the bearings lubricated...as someone else said, these issues are more prevalent on low mileage cars that have been granny-driven (below 3k RPM). Not to mention Total 911 magazine says it affects less than 5% of all cars with the M96/7 engines. My Audi is more expensive to maintain than the 911.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:17 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
I've gotta say I love the posts that suggest you can get an '05 S for under $40k. Certainly not reflected in any list prices.
If you search here you will find the consensus that indi dealers are the worst to deal with. They've obtained the cars through auction or otherwise. I've always only looked PP or CPO dealer. While she LOOKS good, meter the paint for resprays, get the PPI to check things like brakes, tires, oil leaks, and get the DME readout for the overrevs. That said, I've only read that super low mile cars tend to have more RMS issues and other problems due to lack of use. Also, if you're on a strict budget hunting for an '05, there are high maintenence items on 997's like tires and brakes. Otherwise, surprisingly, clutches, water pumps and other items are not that ridiculously expensive on a Porsche. Especially given the exhorbinant repair costs of BMW's these days. There are also pretty decent reliability improvements on an '06 or '07, but the cars are still virtually identical to the '05. On yrralis's note, if you can spring for a base '09, there's a lot of benefit on the .2 release with the DFI engine. Happy hunting!
The car is 5 model years old with no warranty . Plus the 05's have a higher reported incidence of engine issues . Either way his car is asking 48K via private sale. Here are two base 09 cars (one manual , the other PDK--the silver car looks nice IMO) with equal or less miles, full warranty, and certified for just a little more. The 10 grand or so he's trying to save can be eaten up quickly in repair or if he tries to sell an even older car if he decides to sell when the problems arise.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1295809956099

Last edited by yrralis1; 01-23-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:51 PM
rjahr is on a distinguished road
Reason I sold my m3 is because I was out of my warranty- bought the newest porsche I could 2007 12,xxx miles for 55 6 months ago cpo'd untill 2013 all put 70,000 miles and sell it sometime mid 2012 with a warranty to it's next owner... Think of your expenses.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
The white 09 base with PDK looks like a good buy. A friend sold an 07S with aero for around $54k. A very nice and well maintained car.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:56 PM
robsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the link to the cars on autotrader....but to be a fair comparison, those are non-S cars.
If the weather cooperates tomorrow I might stop by and see what the owner says about getting a PPI on the S that's here locally.
I'm only about 4 hrs from Dallas, and I've been sent a couple leads on cars there......we'll see.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:36 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Ah well, not everyone can afford the car with the warranty. The 05 S may fit the bill for you as a weekend toy. Dropping an extra $20k for a weekend car can be a reach for some. Just get the full inspection. If i were looking weekend only, I'd probably opt for the same thing.
Right, 07S for mid 50k, that is probably right. Makes it quite a stretch to think of finding an 05S in the 30s. Also, It is still possible to get an 05 CPO. that could be an option for peace of mind.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Hmmmm......just found ONE 05 CPO S.....43000miles.....$54,800.
Porsche Dealership in NY.
right.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:59 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robsled
Thanks for the link to the cars on autotrader....but to be a fair comparison, those are non-S cars.
If the weather cooperates tomorrow I might stop by and see what the owner says about getting a PPI on the S that's here locally.
I'm only about 4 hrs from Dallas, and I've been sent a couple leads on cars there......we'll see.
they are non-S but they are 09's 997.2....HP is only 10 less than the S 997.1....

there are differences in suspension and maybe the brakes..but I am not sure about that....but the 09's are newer models

Last edited by buck986; 01-23-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:15 PM
I guess that's what makes this search fun and frustrating at the same time.
I'd probably be looking at a new GT3 if we hadn't just bought a new house last month. Money is flyin' for furniture, shutters, fencing for 3/4 acre, landscaping (can't believe how much big rocks cost!) which is nothing compared to cost of labor!

Old 01-23-2011, 07:48 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Comps

It cracks me up how every time we start talking about price on these forums how many people will chime in and say the price is too high. Realistically, the car sounds reasonably priced as a starting point for negotiation.

I have an '05 997S LE so keep an eye on the market - there's a wide range of prices out there for '05 S models. Here's one with 74k miles going for $35k:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ype=b&make=POR

And here's the exact same car (both launch editions) with only 11k miles going for $58k, both private sellers:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ype=b&make=POR

So yeah, get an '05 S in the mid-thirties, but hope the mileage doesn't matter to you!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Seems that's what I've been finding. All over the board, but more higher $ than lower, and the lower $ ones are 70K miles.

Thanks again.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:07 PM
AKC4S is on a distinguished road
really? where ????

That sounds too low.... CPO with 10k???? be careful and if it sounds too good to be true, it is!

Last edited by AKC4S; 01-23-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:14 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Forum member Buckwheat is correct on the newer non S car . In fact the white PDK car might even beat an 05 997S due to the shifting efficiency of the PDK.

JTaylorGt --the launch edition was a highly optioned 05 car . In fact I had one back in 05 with ann MSRP of 99,300 . It was a long time ago though and that's precisdely my point about buying an older car . It may look the same but it's not identical to the newer models of its generation and it is very different than the 09-present 997.2 cars.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Ah well, not everyone can afford the car with the warranty. The 05 S may fit the bill for you as a weekend toy. Dropping an extra $20k for a weekend car can be a reach for some. Just get the full inspection. If i were looking weekend only, I'd probably opt for the same thing
Rye --
He can save the money in up front cost and risk a greater loss in out of warranty repair in the long haul . Keep in mind .. someone else owned that car for 5+ years .

Alsio he pays lees to buy the older car but it also will sell for less one day when he no longer wants to keep it. Good luck trying to sell an 8 or 10 year old car with multiple owners and potentially higher miles. Buyers might shy away. Dealership trades will offer pratically nothing. He's basically stuck at tht point. Look at 2004 996 cars and see what a huge asking price drop occurs from the 2005 cars .

It's as if the 2005 car has its own built in high low asking price bubble ... and in my opinion .. whatever they ask .. is not what they get .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 997S.....