997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Looking at a 997S.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:44 PM
robsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond repute
Looking at a 997S.....

Hi guys,
I'm looking at a 2005 997S, 6 speed, chrono, meteor gray with 12000 miles.
I'm familiar with the possible problems with some of the early cars. Any thoughts. Asking 48,000.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:46 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Get a PPI

Old 01-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Much I hate to say it, $48k is high. Do some research to see what to offer...
CATTMAN

Old 01-22-2011, 10:34 PM
spoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by JEllis
Get a PPI
+1, I would be worried about simple issues which usually crop up in the first 30k miles not being sorted.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:40 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robsled
Hi guys,
I'm looking at a 2005 997S, 6 speed, chrono, meteor gray with 12000 miles.
I'm familiar with the possible problems with some of the early cars. Any thoughts. Asking 48,000.
Way too high . I found an 09 base car complete with CPO and 10K miles for 60K ,

That car you are looking at ought to sell for upper 30's maybe low 40's if impeccable.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 AM
robsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks everyone....PPI would be a definite. It is actually "impeccable". It's at a dealer, but not a Porsche dealer. Looked at comparable cars on Ebay and some were higher mileage with buy it now prices in the high 40s to low 50s. I realize Ebay is not the best indicator.
Friends have told me the dealer is a jerk and even though it might be a great car, it would be hard to deal with him.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Recalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really nice
Looked at the s lineup out there last night. For a low mileage sport chrono,the price doesn't seem outrageous. Obviously the options can make the price seem higher than a less equipped equivalent. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Thanks....Yeah I did a search through ALL the Porsche dealerships, and there is nothing for sale under 48K for a 997S. Haven't found a private party car FS that has options and has not been tracked a bunch. NOT looking for a track car, been there...done that.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:33 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
If pip is good try for around 43-44k based on your description.

Good luck

Old 01-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Recalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really nice
Robsled. I'll send you a pm what I paid for mine. Different options but gives you an idea what people are actually paying.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks, I got it....since I'm a newb here and only have 4 posts, I can't respond to PMs until I get to "15".

Old 01-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Sharkys will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by robsled
Thanks....Yeah I did a search through ALL the Porsche dealerships, and there is nothing for sale under 48K for a 997S. Haven't found a private party car FS that has options and has not been tracked a bunch. NOT looking for a track car, been there...done that.

You should target high 30s low 40s. Roughly six months ago I purchase a (rare but not so rare) '05 Launch Edition 997S from a private party, fully loaded with PCCBs, and approx 40K miles. All dealers nationwide were asking $7K - $10K more on equivalent (non launch edition) models. The later range representing models with 20% - 30% more mileage. I also wan't concerned about getting a 3rd party warranty, but that is me. Hergesheimer Motorsports (in S. Cal) performed the PPI. That said, the car can still grenade any moment - it is used and there is always risk. The body, panels, paint and even interior smell are original. Other than the typical road rash on the frunk area one would expect on a 40K mile car the interior was 5/5 and the previous work history was one that I EXPECTED to see on any potential used aquisition of this type and model year. Such as: replace battery cable from alternator to battery, exhaust tips replaced, transmission cabling/fitting replaced, sealing of rubber grommets on the doors, fixed AC vents, etc....ALL were taken care of under warranty and all items are known issues with the 05 and some 06s - See TSB. A professional detail was done and the result is a very looking 'new' 997.1.

Again, the car can grenade any moment. But, I'm not concerned. If the motor goes, it gets replaced. If a rotor goes, they all get replaced with a steel upgrade kit. Like you, I know the issues going into the 05 model year and I wasn't worried given the mileage on the engine. The DME showed high average miles and ignitions in R1 and R3 (less then 2 sec lifetime) and one ignition each (some may believe to be anomalies) in R3 and R4 at operating hour 214. I know the engine was stressed and tested so I was very comfortable pulling the trigger. Also, how many times do you read on the forums each time a successful round trip commute was completed from an '05 997 driver? Most who have had issues with RMS/IMS will post on the forum - generally speaking. I've read LN Engineering's documentation on the IMS bearing as well and the jury is still out. I will do an oil analysis on my next oil change to get a baseline however.

Your potential aquisition is a garage queen. That said, I would be concerned about the type of mileage. Long commute/weekend drives once in a while - great. Short commutes once in while - then I would look into the oil service history. Good Luck!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Oh regarding the brakes. You should not expect to pay a premium for the PCCBs but you should expect virtually NO rotor and brake pad wear with normal use. This excludes track, but some would argue track use IS normal use

Old 01-23-2011, 09:49 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I've gotta say I love the posts that suggest you can get an '05 S for under $40k. Certainly not reflected in any list prices.
If you search here you will find the consensus that indi dealers are the worst to deal with. They've obtained the cars through auction or otherwise. I've always only looked PP or CPO dealer. While she LOOKS good, meter the paint for resprays, get the PPI to check things like brakes, tires, oil leaks, and get the DME readout for the overrevs. That said, I've only read that super low mile cars tend to have more RMS issues and other problems due to lack of use. Also, if you're on a strict budget hunting for an '05, there are high maintenence items on 997's like tires and brakes. Otherwise, surprisingly, clutches, water pumps and other items are not that ridiculously expensive on a Porsche. Especially given the exhorbinant repair costs of BMW's these days. There are also pretty decent reliability improvements on an '06 or '07, but the cars are still virtually identical to the '05. On yrralis's note, if you can spring for a base '09, there's a lot of benefit on the .2 release with the DFI engine. Happy hunting!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:11 AM
I have a feeling the OP knows what they is getting into and is only considering the IMS issue on the 05 MY. I could be wrong though. To the OP, have you had previous experience with Porsche or is this your first venture? There is good info on this thread. I puchased at $44K albeit 6mos ago. I had another 06 C2S lined up with 23K miles and the private pary was asking $43K. Could have probably got that once for $39K. PP deals are around, but one has to search and keep track of the listings and be very patient.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 997S.....