997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Check your undercarriage panels...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:26 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Check your undercarriage panels...

I stopped by my dealer - Porsche of Fremont - today to check something. All was fine, but while the car was on the lift, the mechanic who always services my car, decided to tap the undercarriage covers and heard loose rocks inside... He knows this to be a common occurrence. The rocks are sucked in on the road via the NACA ducts. He pulled the cover out (the rear one covering the transmission) and a dozen small pebbles/rocks came tumbling down. It's not a big deal, as I never heard any rattling, but something to check if you hear rattles, or when your car is serviced.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Thanks

Old 01-26-2011, 08:15 PM
caly is on a distinguished road
thx for the scoop

Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Great to know. Thanks for sharing, adias.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 PM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
I took the front undercar tray off after about 20 track days to add TPC swaybars. I got about a dust pan full of track rubber "marbles" out!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Thanks .. good to know !!!

Old 01-27-2011, 07:30 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
thanks! I'm going to be out in SF bay area next week, never been out there. Looking fwd to it.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
There shouldn't be too much junk under there, maybe a tablespoon of gravel at the most.

I removed mine for the SC installation, and was impressed by how clean everything was beneath the underpanels.

Two tips if you do take these off:
1. There are 6 plastic underpanels, each with at least a dozen tabs on them. Note well how they fit together, for there are multiple tabs which layer on top of each other, and they fit like a puzzle. Before unscrewing anything, I rolled around and used a sharpie to label each tab, 1, 2, 3, or 4 based on which was the layer closest to the ground. Closest to the ground, or bottom-most panel, was 1. Up from that was a 2, and so forth. It made putting them all back together a breeze, since there are many spots where 3 or 4 panels or tabs come together, and you've got to know the order of how they are to be layered.

2. There are 4 different kinds of screws (philips, flat, hex, and star) that hold these 5 panels on, so keep them organized in zip lock baggies. Again, it'll save you time and hassles later...
CATTMAN

Attached Images    

Last edited by Cattman; 01-27-2011 at 08:30 AM.