997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Fuel Cap replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
We are all a little bit crazy aren't we? I have the plastic version - $140 for something that maybe I see once a week during a fill-up and even less often for those not driving much. It's a sickness.
$ 140 for a gas cap, and a plastic one at that ? Porsche - Accept no substitute. Shear genius.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:06 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I have to say though, after taking a good look at that cap again, if it is plastic it is one heck of a fake. The screws that hold it together certainly are metal and I tried to remove them to take the cover off but couldn't easily. Maybe they are loctite held - I didn't want to break it, but they can take a good bit of torque from an allen wrench.

The thin skin of a cover is sharp to the touch on the underside of the cap and I was able to press an indentation into it with the edge of my key and it still seems more like metal that plastic - no apparent elasticity at my little "dent". It looks like some sort of stamped (non-magnetic - I tried) metal. If that is plastic (not specified in the Tequipment catalog to be either), it is really well done and possibly worth the cost for the marvel alone....that or the "engraved Porsche logo" - whatever that means - I think they meant "embossed".

Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevepow
I have to say though, after taking a good look at that cap again, if it is plastic it is one heck of a fake. The screws that hold it together certainly are metal and I tried to remove them to take the cover off but couldn't easily. Maybe they are loctite held - I didn't want to break it, but they can take a good bit of torque from an allen wrench.

The thin skin of a cover is sharp to the touch on the underside of the cap and I was able to press an indentation into it with the edge of my key and it still seems more like metal that plastic - no apparent elasticity at my little "dent". It looks like some sort of stamped (non-magnetic - I tried) metal. If that is plastic (not specified in the Tequipment catalog to be either), it is really well done and possibly worth the cost for the marvel alone....that or the "engraved Porsche logo" - whatever that means - I think they meant "embossed".
Here's what Porsche says...and your right, not mention of plastic, just "aluminum look" (whatever that is). Maybe Suncoast wanted to be more transparent in their description/disclosure of plastic??

997 201 980 00 Each$184.74$184.74
$166.27 Gas Cap with Aluminum Finish
With Aluminum-Look Finish. Give your 911 a nostalgic flair with this fuel tank cap inspired by historic racing cars. The cap features an engraved Porsche logotype and can be safely tethered to your vehicle.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
BTW, I waited to find it on sale for about $100 when I bought it. It is nuts, but compared to the very thin steel edged dead pedal, that is 95% the same as the included pedal - for $100+ - the gas cap seems almost a fair deal.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
I thought the question was a bit odd. Get in your head on replacing a fuel cap? Really? unscrew the old one, toss it, put the new one on. Done. Ok, granted, there is the bit about the retaining line that has to get moved.

That said, I'd agree that modifying a part you only see when you are putting gas in (ie its covered 99% of the time ).. seems odd.

But then, I found the price of buying the alu-look dead-pedal separately from a dealer was cheaper than ordering it 'on the new car', and all that to get a consistent look along the floorboard where only my feet can see.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by edmcnulty
Has anyone replaced their fuel cap? I am thinking of replacing stock cap with aluminum look but do not want to get in over my head. Easy DIY? Thanks in advance.
EASY...did 3 of them (Cayenne, Boxster and Carrera) 3 min tops

Old 02-08-2011, 11:48 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
140 is not bad

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
We are all a little bit crazy aren't we? I have the plastic version - $140 for something that maybe I see once a week during a fill-up and even less often for those not driving much. It's a sickness.
I had to replace my cap on my gallardo and it was 500 LOL. I would have been very happy to just put a plastic one on if they offered it

Old 02-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Minok
But then, I found the price of buying the alu-look dead-pedal separately from a dealer was cheaper than ordering it 'on the new car', and all that to get a consistent look along the floorboard where only my feet can see.

Silly stuff you do when you get a new girlfriend...I mean car.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:11 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
My car just failed emissions due to a faulty gas cap. They tester showed me where the rubber sealant ring is cracking and thought that was the cause. Anyone had this problem? I've never had a car fail emissions.

I called the dealership and they sell the replacement cap for $20 - no big deal, but what do you use to install the retaining line anchor to the frame? It doesn't look like a traditional screw head.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:21 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JTaylorGT
My car just failed emissions due to a faulty gas cap. They tester showed me where the rubber sealant ring is cracking and thought that was the cause. Anyone had this problem? I've never had a car fail emissions.

I called the dealership and they sell the replacement cap for $20 - no big deal, but what do you use to install the retaining line anchor to the frame? It doesn't look like a traditional screw head.
Dealer should do it for you - probably take 5 minutes.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:41 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
So I had the dealer do it no charge but now that I see how it's done I think anyone can tackle it. You just have to get a nail or something similar to tap (with mallet) the pin in the middle of the round clip. Once the pin comes out the back, you can remove the circular clip. Install in reverse order.